• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Need a psychology term

Angry Floof

Tricksy Leftits
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist
I took two years of psychology, and although I don't often forget concepts, I do often forget terminology and sources like organizations or names of researchers.

I'm looking for a name or theory or term describing the tendency to assume others are at least as honest and ethical as we are.

I remember talking and writing about this at length after 9/11 and why the attack on the WTC was such a shock to the vast majority of us. Flying planes into buildings is just not something most of us would ever even think of much less do, until some nut jobs go and do it.

When I worked with a destructive psychopath, I learned too late and the hard way that I had spent three years justifying and sugarcoating the things this woman did, all because I wanted to stick to my initial judgment about her (that she was sane and honest).

Another example: Scientology harassment tactics succeed in part because critics who are fairly new to cult criticism either don't know the depths cult goons will stoop to, or they don't believe the stories until it happens to them or someone they know.

Unless you are a psychopath yourself, or you're in a special position or field of work (police work, mental health, etc.) where your experience or training enable you to spot certain traits in people that might give you pause, you won't likely notice anything but the most blatant evidence that the person you're looking at is not to be trusted in any way. And even with evidence, we often continue to give people the benefit of the doubt and overlook destructive behavior (see my own example two paras above).

I wanted to read further about the cognitive science and/or psychology of this but I don't even know what keywords to use. Any suggestions?

Sounds like either the projection bias or the false consensus bias.

I assume you'll agree with me about that.

I can't offer any terminology, but it seems as if the opposite would be true as well... If a person is violent or angry, they assume that others are as violent and angry as they are.

It's very much like Douglas Adams' total perspective vortex - we all think we're the center of the universe. We judge "normal" relative to ourselves. We all think of ourselves as the normal ones, and we judge everyone else that we come across relative to our baseline. Exceptional people routinely and measurably underestimate the amount by which they differ from average. People who are far below average assume that they are more average than they are. Likewise people who are far above average. People on the tails of the distributions mentally revert themselves to the mean regardless of whether it's true.

Birds of a feather flock together.
The world is full of birds.

Hang in there hylidae. I had more than seven years of psychology, not biology, not physics, not math, not English, not political science, not history, not philosophy, not language, just psychology. I am not coming up with the term either. So you're fine, I'm fine, its just that our memories are shot. Prost!

Think of it this way. You now what the problem is. You just don't have the label for the problem. Who needs labels under those conditions?

Back
Top Bottom