• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Need advice on cheap phone just used for voice and texting.

Treedbear

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
secular, humanist, agnostic on theism/atheism
I hardly use my cell phone but need to have one. Several years ago I had my land line number transferred to an AT&T GoPhone which cost about $40 and required that I make an annual deposit of $100 into my account that gets charged about 20 cents a minute for all voice and something less for texting. So that's about $8/month, which saved me money compared to my land line, and I always have money left in there when I need to ante up again. So now the world is going crazy with 5G and my old phone doesn't meet the minimum requirements, which I understand from talking to the AT&T rep is some version or 4G. I don't want to be charged for data. I just want a user friendly phone, preferably a flip phone, for voice and texting and which I can bring to the AT&T store and have them swap the SIM cards. The guy at the store had one phone available called an AT&T Cingular Flip IV that's priced at $62 and I can keep the same plan as I have with the GoPhone. Only problem with it seems to be an issue with the user interface. One reviewer says there's a very thin ring for scrolling up/down/left/right which you need a sharp fingernail to press. Also it requires more clicks to select simple functions than is usually the case. So I'm looking for alternatives, and I'm being blown away with what people are willing to pay for phones these days. Apparently low cost phones are anything less than $500. That borders on mania if you ask me. I have my phone and my computer and I still use an old fashioned digital camera that just takes pictures. I've scanned the internet and it's hard to find anyone offering advice for my niche. Can anyone point me in the right direction with the basic requirements I need to look for in terms of what's going to be compatible with my needs? Thanks so much.

I have been using Consumer Cellular for 4 years. Unlimited voice and data for a simple flip phone is $25 a month. Limit voice to around 300 minutes and its $20. Govt taxes and fees are around $5.

Customer service has been great. My flip phone was about $30. Call them up to sign up and thy will send you an activated phone. You own the phone.

No contract cancel any time.

You can get them at Target if one is close.

It sounds like you have about as much use for telephones as I do. I am on the same ATT go-phone plan as you... $100/year. About a year ago my flip phone was destroyed when I capsized my sail boat - electronics and salt water aren't very compatible. I bought a replacement at Walmart (~$40 to $45 if I remember correctly) that looks very much like the one bigfield linked to except it has an ATT logo rather than the Alcatel logo. The sym-card could not be swapped (so I lost the stored numbers) because they had changed but it does operate with 4G.

It sounds like you have about as much use for telephones as I do. I am on the same ATT go-phone plan as you... $100/year. About a year ago my flip phone was destroyed when I capsized my sail boat - electronics and salt water aren't very compatible. I bought a replacement at Walmart (~$40 to $45 if I remember correctly) that looks very much like the one bigfield linked to except it has an ATT logo rather than the Alcatel logo. The sym-card could not be swapped (so I lost the stored numbers) because they had changed but it does operate with 4G.

That might be the way to go. I'm leery of ordering one on Amazon because there's so many gotcha's like whether it's "unlocked" or whatever. Everything has some complicated contract attached to it. But I imagine Walmart has an easy return policy if it turns out it won't work with AT&T's service (whose store is across the street). How easy is it to use? I mean as far as navigating menu's and such? It looks a lot like the one AT&T offered me. So you still just pay the $100/yr and no data charges?

That might be the way to go. I'm leery of ordering one on Amazon because there's so many gotcha's like whether it's "unlocked" or whatever. Everything has some complicated contract attached to it. But I imagine Walmart has an easy return policy if it turns out it won't work with AT&T's service (whose store is across the street). How easy is it to use? I mean as far as navigating menu's and such? It looks a lot like the one AT&T offered me. So you still just pay the $100/yr and no data charges?
Operation and navigation through the menus are pretty much the same as the one I had for years before dunking it in the ocean. It does have one menu for frequently called numbers that took me a while to figure out how to set up though. Walmart didn't have anyone available to switch my old service and number to the new phone (the sym-card not being able to be swapped) so I took it down the street to the ATT store and they set it up with my old go-phone service. So the service (including the credit for unused time) was transferred to the new phone.

There was no change in the go-phone service plan, still $100/year with no data charges.

Yeah, modern "phones" aren't really phones at all, they're pocket computers.

My phone I use for a huge number of different purposes, but only very rarely as a device for talking to people.

I would certainly agree that that purpose is better served by an inexpensive single purpose device.

My phone I use for a huge number of different purposes, but only very rarely as a device for talking to people.

I would certainly agree that that purpose is better served by an inexpensive single purpose device.

Separate devices mean more things to carry. I'd prefer one general-purpose device.

Separate devices mean more things to carry. I'd prefer one general-purpose device.

I only carry one device, the one I have a use for. Apparently Treedbear has found that he doesn't need the functions of a computer and internet service when away from home either but needs a phone.

I have absolutely no use for a smart phone. I wach peole on the street heads down engosed in the device and internet.

For me text is important. I get texts from my doctors with appointment reminders, and notifications from my pharmacy.

I prefer text over voice mil. Text provides a runnng record of exchanges.

If I am on the street I can text metro with a transit stop number and get the time of the next bus. Those kinds of things are useful.

I am trying decide what to do for internet in my apartment. We have Wave but it ends up being expensive. I may get a smart phone with a wireless hot spot.

I only carry one device, the one I have a use for. Apparently Treedbear has found that he doesn't need the functions of a computer and internet service when away from home either but needs a phone.

You've found me out. I didn't hardly need a mobile phone when I was working. And then only because I'd have felt silly if I had car problems and left it at home. During the day I'd use the company's phones. So I'd unplug it in the morning and plug it back in when I got home. Since I left work due to covid I use it more and put up with all the spam. Particularly annoying is the weekly shake-down from "The National Police Association" for a donation. Once in a great while it would be nice having internet to compare prices when out shopping. Needing to find a tow truck or get directions for me is seldom to never. And I much prefer the freedom from being tied into a network constantly. But I understand and have sympathy for all the folks who have lots of family and work relationships. It seems to be a necessity these days and a convenience in many ways. But like all technology it can also become a distraction. I hate distractions but love technology. So that freedom might just be my illusion. Frankly the main reason I don't have a smart phone is that it would cost me an extra $200 per year. On balance it ain't worth it.

Actually, I find the biggest use I make of it is the Kindle app--reading books while I'm waiting for something.

Actually, I find the biggest use I make of it is the Kindle app--reading books while I'm waiting for something.

Don't you find that to be a strain on your eyes? A tablet yes, but a smart phone screen?

Don't you find that to be a strain on your eyes? A tablet yes, but a smart phone screen?

I wear progressive lens glasses, I have the font size set large enough, it's not a problem at all.

Update. It only took 2 months to decide but I ended up getting an AT&T compatible Alcatel SmartFlip "prepaid" phone from Walmart, marked down to $25. The AT&T store across the street set up the nano sim for my phone number and I got to keep what was left of my $100/year fee. Then I needed to manually set up my old contact info. It's bigger than my 10 year old ZTE phone. The buttons are easy to use and some features are improved. I was hampered by not knowing what some basic terms meant such as "locked" vs "unlocked" and what "prepaid" implied. Finally ran into a young Japanese clerk at the Walmart tech desk who explained it to me. Locked means you're tied to one carrier (unless that carrier is willing to unlock it for you). Prepaid doesn't necessarily mean that you need to sign up with one set of plans. I got to keep my yearly plan without any data. But I couldn't argue with $25 and it does the job for now. What confused me was that AT&T said they sold a flip-phone that would work and it would only cost me $62. I would have gone for it but then they didn't have it in stock, and then none of their stores had it in stock so they sent me to an affiliated store who said they could order it but when I showed up it turned out it had to come with a prepaid plan of at least $30/month. So they also recommend that I go to Walmart. First Walmart had squat so I stopped at BestBuy. They tell me AT&T stopped sending them flip-phones. So the kid at the 2nd Walmart straightened me out and now I'm a happy camper. In the meantime my old phone will still function to dial 911 in an emergency so I'll leave it in my car.

Thanks to everyone for their help. I guess I'll have to do it all again when they phase out 4G LTE. Actually I ran across some articles on how you can do just about anything on a smart phone without a paid plan as long as you can access wi-fi.

Back
Top Bottom