• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Nike is Anti-American

EvoUK

Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Well, I haven't heard about Nike and Colin Kaepernick for a while- cue right wing aneurysms:

source said:
Nike Nixes ‘Betsy Ross Flag’ Sneaker After Colin Kaepernick Intervenes

Sneaker maker pulls Independence Day-themed shoe after NFL star raised concerns about symbolism

Nike Inc. is yanking a U.S.A.-themed sneaker featuring an early American flag after NFL star-turned-activist Colin Kaepernick told the company it shouldn’t sell a shoe with a symbol that he and others consider offensive, according to people familiar with the matter.

The sneaker giant created the Air Max 1 USA in celebration of the July Fourth holiday, and it was slated to go on sale this week. The heel of the shoe featured a U.S. flag with 13 white stars in a circle, a design created during the American Revolution and commonly referred to as the Betsy Ross flag.

source

I'm tired of these America haters. The reason they caved is that they really have no love for their country.

Well, I haven't heard about Nike and Colin Kaepernick for a while- cue right wing aneurysms:

source said:

Sneaker maker pulls Independence Day-themed shoe after NFL star raised concerns about symbolism

Nike Inc. is yanking a U.S.A.-themed sneaker featuring an early American flag after NFL star-turned-activist Colin Kaepernick told the company it shouldn’t sell a shoe with a symbol that he and others consider offensive, according to people familiar with the matter.

The sneaker giant created the Air Max 1 USA in celebration of the July Fourth holiday, and it was slated to go on sale this week. The heel of the shoe featured a U.S. flag with 13 white stars in a circle, a design created during the American Revolution and commonly referred to as the Betsy Ross flag.

source

I'm tired of these America haters. The reason they caved is that they really have no love for their country.

The country that enshrined the slavery, torture and rape of their ancestors into law? Yeah, why would they love that country? That country was a shit hole. Luckly we live in a different slightly improved country now. :)

Yeah, it's not necessarily that he's anti-American, Kaepernick evidently objected specifically to the fact that the flag Nike used was the flag that flew while the entire nation--which at that time, 1777, consisted of 13 colonies--were all slave states. The northern colonies did not all officially decry slavery until 1804 and then it still was codified in some that freedom would only be obtained after a certain age was reached (e.g, as late as 1850 "the federal census recorded that there were still hundreds of young blacks in Pennsylvania, who would remain enslaved until their 28th birthdays").

One could look at the flag as half full, I supposed, in that it marked the first colony to abolish slavery (Vermont), but seeing as how it took almost a century for abolition to fully realize--and then only in the North--that's a very generous position to take.

Where do you draw the line on this stuff? Gays were not allowed to be married until very recently. Pretty shameful, really. Maybe we should stop flying our current flag?

So, any comments about the desecration of the flag symbol by putting it on footwear where it will get dirty?

So, any comments about the desecration of the flag symbol by putting it on footwear where it will get dirty?
I'm sure Nike included instructions for disposal of the shoe when it became worn out. Contact your local Scout Troop or Veteran's of Foreign Wars for the burning.

I'm having a difficult time with this one (I don't actually care but I'm struggling with the concept). Like thebeave points out, this seems like a slippery slope. At any point in the history of this country there's good and bad taking place. I fully support Kaepernick and everyone else taking part in anthem protests because they're protesting the bad that the flag represents. The Besty Ross flag was just an early design of the flag so it also represented all that was good and bad.

That being said, Nike can do whatever the hell it wants since it's a private company. If the rightists want to protest by boycotting Nike, I bet the company will still be just fine.

Where do you draw the line on this stuff?
On the spreadsheets, obviously.
Nike did not pull the plug on this product because Colin Kaepernick took offense, but out of a concern that enough people would take offense to hurt their profits.
Gays were not allowed to be married until very recently. Pretty shameful, really. Maybe we should stop flying our current flag?
Feel free to go on social media and start a campaign. The only question is enough people, gay and otherwise, will change their buying habits based on your offense.

On the spreadsheets, obviously.
Nike did not pull the plug on this product because Colin Kaepernick took offense, but out of a concern that enough people would take offense to hurt their profits.
Gays were not allowed to be married until very recently. Pretty shameful, really. Maybe we should stop flying our current flag?
Feel free to go on social media and start a campaign. The only question is enough people, gay and otherwise, will change their buying habits based on your offense.

I think this is basically it - the Trumpanzies hate Nike now anyways, so them getting upset is unlikely to hurt their bottom line, however if the crowd who cares what Kaepernick thinks about this flag stop buying Nike, then that becomes more of an issue.

I think it was basically just a straightforward maths question at the end of the day.

Never. There is never a need to "draw a line." I don't even know what that means. Who draws it?

The whole point of any protest is to raise awareness about something others may not know about or be thinking about, etc. The whole point of living in a society is for all voices to be heard.

So, yeah, no line ever. That does not, however, axiomatically translate into "we must all simply do whatever any person says we should do."

You protest. I hear you and I either agree with your protest or not. If I do and I'm joined by enough people to make a change, then good for us. If I don't and I'm joined by enough people to not make a change, then good for us.

That's how it works.

The whole point of any protest is to raise awareness about something others may not know about or be thinking about, etc.
People may become more aware of Kaep's protests with his latest anti-American stunt, but do you really believe they will be more likely to support whatever he is protesting? Even if he had a good point once upon a time, it has long since gotten drowned in generic "protesting against America" (anthem, flag).

Never. There is never a need to "draw a line." I don't even know what that means. Who draws it?
That would be up to each individual. As you point out, you can choose to support or ignore a protest.

But that's a cute idea. The same groups that keep saying we should let the free market decide important issues would probably support an official office that had the power to filter protests before they impact businesses.

I hate flags. I don't care what Nike does, one way or the other. Nike is a private corporation and Nike has the right to please whatever group of people Nike wants. Nike taking the flag off of those shoes doesn't mean that someone who wants to fly that flag can't. My own father used to fly a flag outside of his home. When Bush started the War in Iraq, my late father flew his flag upside down, which is recognized as as sing of distress by anyone who knows about what flags in different positions represent.

My late father was a Marine who suffered from PTSD due to his combat experience in Southeast Asia during WWII. Some ignorant asshole, cut down my father's flag when he hung it upside down. My father was only using his right to free speech when he hung the flag upside down. His war experience made him hate war. Some ignorant jerk went on to my father's property and tried to take away my father's right to free speech. I just hate flags because to me they represent nationalism and blind obedience to government.

The whole point of any protest is to raise awareness about something others may not know about or be thinking about, etc.
People may become more aware of Kaep's protests with his latest anti-American stunt, but do you really believe they will be more likely to support whatever he is protesting?

I don't give a flying fuck. It isn't anyone's business--and I meant that both literally and figuratively--what they personally think would or would not be a more effective means of communicating any such opinion.

Even if he had a good point once upon a time, it has long since gotten drowned in generic "protesting against America" (anthem, flag).

This post (and your ironic responses) clearly disprove that notion.

What about the 2 am twitter decision by the governor? No consultation with anyone else.

Even if you agree with the decision, that is a bit unhinged.

The Betsy Ross flag reflects both a positive moment of Independence and progress relative to British monarchy rule, but also a period of the past that was grossly unjust for majority of people living in the country (all but white men), and quite explicitly excludes the majority of the current US. Thus, the choice to celebrate that flag rather than the modern flag should be very limited and only to recognize that historical transitional moment.

A time like the 4th of July is appropriate to celebrate that point in history, and makes sense for anyone who is glad that the Revolutionaries defeated the British crown.

That is in stark contrast to the right wing groups who fly it regularly in place of the modern flag to reflect their desire to return to a period where women could not vote and blacks were enslaved. It is also in contrast to the Confederate flag, which should never be displayed b/c it in not merely incidentally and indirectly associated with a less progressive time, but was created specifically to represent a criminal anti-American attack against the US in order to preserve slavery. Only those who wish the Confederacy would have won would want to display it, and only white supremacists would wish that.

I'm having a difficult time with this one (I don't actually care but I'm struggling with the concept). Like thebeave points out, this seems like a slippery slope. At any point in the history of this country there's good and bad taking place. I fully support Kaepernick and everyone else taking part in anthem protests because they're protesting the bad that the flag represents. The Besty Ross flag was just an early design of the flag so it also represented all that was good and bad.

That being said, Nike can do whatever the hell it wants since it's a private company. If the rightists want to protest by boycotting Nike, I bet the company will still be just fine.

They already boycotted last year and burned all their Nikes throwing a different tantrum over Kaepernick, they should have no Nikes left to burn.

source said:

source

You think American companies make decisions that ever have anything remotely do do with anything other than revenue? That's just silly.
Apparently, Nike thinks they need the NFL to endorse (or at least not lobby against) their products to be able to turn the profit they think their shareholders expect them to make. You do realize that Nike makes sportswear, right? ... and that american football is a sport (such as it is), right?

Back
Top Bottom