• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

NYC primary clusterfuck

Derec

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
New York Mayor’s Race in Chaos After Elections Board Counts 135,000 Test Ballots

NY Times said:
The New York City mayor’s race plunged into chaos on Tuesday night when the city Board of Elections released a new tally of votes in the Democratic mayoral primary, and then removed the tabulations from its website after citing a “discrepancy.”
The results released earlier in the day had suggested that the race between Eric Adams and his two closest rivals had tightened significantly.
[...]
Then, around 10:30 p.m., the board finally released a statement, explaining that it had failed to remove sample ballot images used to test its ranked-choice voting software. When the board ran the program, it counted “both test and election night results, producing approximately 135,000 additional records,” the statement said. The ranked-choice numbers, it said, would be tabulated again.

That's rather embarrassing to the city. And it may doom ranked choice voting from being used in NYC again.

When reading the OP only focus on the article. The OP's comment is just the OP's opinion. Basically, they managed to catch an error and are addressing it. It would actually be a problem if someone was elected based on erroneous results. In other words, a fly trap caught a fly & Derec thinks it's an embarrassment to the trap that flies exist.

When reading the OP only focus on the article. The OP's comment is just the OP's opinion. Basically, they managed to catch an error and are addressing it. It would actually be a problem if someone was elected based on erroneous results. In other words, a fly trap caught a fly & Derec thinks it's an embarrassment to the trap that flies exist.

I mean, it's a pretty big fuck-up. Yeah it's good that they caught it. But it's still a pretty big fuck-up.

I mean, it's a pretty big fuck-up. Yeah it's good that they caught it. But it's still a pretty big fuck-up.

To you. Sounds like an easy-to-see and fix error to me. Are you one of those people who sent Steve Harvey death threats for getting Miss Universe wrong? Just curious.

New York Mayor’s Race in Chaos After Elections Board Counts 135,000 Test Ballots

NY Times said:
The New York City mayor’s race plunged into chaos on Tuesday night when the city Board of Elections released a new tally of votes in the Democratic mayoral primary, and then removed the tabulations from its website after citing a “discrepancy.”
The results released earlier in the day had suggested that the race between Eric Adams and his two closest rivals had tightened significantly.
[...]
Then, around 10:30 p.m., the board finally released a statement, explaining that it had failed to remove sample ballot images used to test its ranked-choice voting software. When the board ran the program, it counted “both test and election night results, producing approximately 135,000 additional records,” the statement said. The ranked-choice numbers, it said, would be tabulated again.

That's rather embarrassing to the city. And it may doom ranked choice voting from being used in NYC again.
There is nothing endemic about ranked choice voting that would cause this type of mistake to recur.

How did someone miss that there are 135,00 votes before the count started?

How embarrassment.

Hope that person is not involved in the finances in NYC.

New York does it again... the Election Screwup Capitol of the United States.

The N.Y.C. Board of Elections has a long history of blunders.

The board mistakenly purged about 200,000 people from voter rolls ahead of the 2016 election. It forced some voters to wait in four-hour lines on Election Day 2018. It sent erroneous ballots to nearly 100,000 New Yorkers seeking to vote by mail last year.

And those are just the recent blunders.

For decades, since nearly the founding of the election board, critics have complained about its structure, its history of nepotism and its lack of accountability. New York is the only state with local election boards whose staffers are chosen almost entirely by Democratic and Republican Party bosses.

The board mistakenly purged about 200,000 people from voter rolls ahead of the 2016 election. It forced some voters to wait in four-hour lines on Election Day 2018. It sent erroneous ballots to nearly 100,000 New Yorkers seeking to vote by mail last year.

For decades, since nearly the founding of the election board, critics have complained about its structure, its history of nepotism and its lack of accountability. New York is the only state with local election boards whose staffers are chosen almost entirely by Democratic and Republican Party bosses.

Looking at this from Australia the NYC removes 200,00 people from the electoral roll and it is a mistake. Georgia, for example, tries to do the same and it is an example of voter suppression?

You yanks can be so stupid.

To you. Sounds like an easy-to-see and fix error to me. Are you one of those people who sent Steve Harvey death threats for getting Miss Universe wrong? Just curious.
No. I just happen to think that we should expect a higher degree of competence from our civil servants. Americans just accept that government will be shitty, and it's a self-fulfilling prophecy that is one of the main reasons we can't have nice things. You know. Different standards for different things. Me getting a sandwich with too much mayo is a minor inconvenience. I'm not really surprised if it happens. If my anesthesiologist fucks up and gives me too much anesthesia, that's a different story. Similarly, I don't really care that some beauty pageant host made some mistake. But I do tend to care if the Election Board is fucking up.

Counting votes is very important. It's a core process of our democratic government. There should be processes that make this sort of mistake very much not easy to make. The fact that this isn't the case and it happened reflects poorly on the Board of Elections and on their degree of competence.

No. I just happen to think that we should expect a higher degree of competence from our civil servants. Americans just accept that government will be shitty, and it's a self-fulfilling prophecy that is one of the main reasons we can't have nice things. You know. Different standards for different things. Me getting a sandwich with too much mayo is a minor inconvenience. I'm not really surprised if it happens. If my anesthesiologist fucks up and gives me too much anesthesia, that's a different story. Similarly, I don't really care that some beauty pageant host made some mistake. But I do tend to care if the Election Board is fucking up.

Counting votes is very important. It's a core process of our democratic government. There should be processes that make this sort of mistake very much not easy to make. The fact that this isn't the case and it happened reflects poorly on the Board of Elections and on their degree of competence.
Perhaps, but how often do these types of mistakes occur? I am under the impression that is very rare. And in this case, the mistake was quickly recognized and dealt with.

No. I just happen to think that we should expect a higher degree of competence from our civil servants.

Well you do get that, at least on average. NY Elections board are the Keystone Cops of election boards, as has been well known known for at least 80 years. Expecting "more", or even something significantly different from what they've brought before, would be unrealistic at best.

Looking at this from Australia the NYC removes 200,00 people from the electoral roll and it is a mistake. Georgia, for example, tries to do the same and it is an example of voter suppression?

If Georgia had first added in 200,000 fictional votes in a test vote, then removed them it would be close to the same thing... but even GA officials aren't that incompetent and nepotist.

You yanks can be so stupid.

Well, Georgia (and other states) have repeatedly stated their intentions to do so over the years, and have repeatedly used methods that disproportionally target young and nonwhite voters using means that are known for a high number of false positives.

This , in comparison, the usual incompetence of a patronage-based, state-level board that makes obvious mistakes every time. IOW, we know which ae malice, and which are stupidity, because they're all quite happy to tell us which category they fall into.

Back
Top Bottom