• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

On the campaign trail, Republicans talk of violence

southernhybrid

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
https://wapo.st/3S4pPOz

In both swing states and safe seats, GOP candidates say that liberals hate them personally and may turn rioters or a police state on people who disobey them​

I'm gifting this article and hope that some of you will read it. The following is a little taste.

Many Democrats saw the backlash to Obama as specific to his race, and saw Biden as unlikely to inspire mass opposition to Trump in the presidential election. But many Republicans also portray Biden as a malevolent figure — a vessel for a hateful leftist campaign to weaken America.
“It’s purposeful,” said former Alaska governor Sarah Palin, who is running in next month’s special election for the state’s sole House seat, in an interview with former Trump adviser Stephen K. Bannon. “It’s all about the fundamental transformation of America. You only fundamentally transform something for which you have disdain.”
That argument has been dramatized in ads that, for instance, show one armed candidate appearing to charge into the home of a political enemy, and another warning of “the mob” that threatens ordinary Americans. In many cases the candidates are brandishing firearms while threatening harm to liberals or other enemies.
Guns are all over GOP ads and social media, prompting criticism
In central Florida, U.S. Army veteran Cory Mills has run ads about his company selling tear gas that was used to quell riots in 2020. “You may have seen some of our work,” he says, introducing a montage of what are labeled “antifa,” “radical left” and “Black Lives Matter” protesters running from the gas.

I've got to leave the house, so I don't have time to comment much right now, but you really need to read the entire article to get an idea of what's going on with far right candidates. I see this as one of the biggest threats to democracy in my lifetime.

I think there's a message being spoken. The language is thus: make statement about what you want to do by stating that someone who is not doing it... accusing them of doing it.

This says in "bad-faith": let's do this thing to those people.

Then they reverse victim and offender, accusing any responses to their behavior of being just as they have done.

I remember Limbaugh saying al Qaeda (remember them?) wanted Kerry to win.

Back
Top Bottom