• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Once again, projection at work

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist

And being a stopped clock about it.

Cognitive tests for politicians sounds like a good idea to me so long as the test is recorded and that recording can be viewed by anyone. Why only older ones, though? And why now after the Republicans have had two zombies in office?

Cognitive tests (as in dementia) would be less important than tests for bat shit crazy, consistent liars, and just plain evil. Most of the Republicans in office would flunk at least one. Sometimes I think half or more republican voters would flunk too.

Of just set an age limit at 85 or something. The Senate has had few pretty non-responsive members in it, though I'd say the dead or dying haven't had much of a majority in the Senate. Pretty much trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

Haley is trying to score political points is all. Why just older politicians? Why not everyone that votes?

I think that anyone who disagrees with my political views should be tested.;)

Haley is trying to score political points is all. Why just older politicians? Why not everyone that votes?

I think that anyone who disagrees with my political views should be tested.;)
She's trying to pump the totally unsupported conspiracy theory that Biden has dementia. I post on an Alzheimer's support website because my mom has dementia and some people there have attempted, without evidence, to boost that particular conspiracy. Fortunately the mods delete the topics. Haley is one of those Republicans who would fail the lying test.

Joe Biden / Hillary Clinton, ancient people who are mentally invalid, attempting to destroy our lives with their vile authoritarian leadership.

Cognitive tests (as in dementia) would be less important than tests for bat shit crazy, consistent liars, and just plain evil. Most of the Republicans in office would flunk at least one. Sometimes I think half or more republican voters would flunk too.
But how would you make reliable tests for your conditions?

I"ve cared for people with dementia for decades. If anyone shows signs of early stage dementia, it's not Biden, it's the former president. He has a terrible short term memory and he bragged about passing the very simple cognitive test that is sometimes used to screen for dementia. I would be embarrassed to brag about passing the "mini mental test", as it's often called. He acted as if passing that test means he's a genius. Sure, being about tor remember a bunch of simple words for a few minutes means you're a genius. I've never understood why so many people don't realize that Trump suffers from symptoms of at least one personality disorder, as well as possible symptoms of mania.

But, instead of trying to test the cognition of people in public rolls, why not have term limits for every office, including federal judges. Some people simply stay in these jobs far too long. Senator Grassley certainly doesn't seem to be operating with a full deck and yet he recently said that he plans to run for reelection. There are a few others, both Democrats and Republicans who don't appear to be cognitively intact enough to do the job. I know it would be much easier said than done to have term limits, but I see that as the only way to keep the government full of fresh ideas and new leaders, regardless of their ages.

I would be embarrassed to brag about passing the "mini mental test", as it's often called.
Ya. It may not be the exact same test my mom flunked but it basically asked:
1: Who is the president of the United States?
2: What year is it?
3 What time of the year is it?
4: What town are you in?
5: I am going to say 3 words to you. In a few minutes I will ask you what three words I said.

I"ve cared for people with dementia for decades. If anyone shows signs of early stage dementia, it's not Biden, it's the former president. He has a terrible short term memory and he bragged about passing the very simple cognitive test that is sometimes used to screen for dementia. I would be embarrassed to brag about passing the "mini mental test", as it's often called. He acted as if passing that test means he's a genius. Sure, being about tor remember a bunch of simple words for a few minutes means you're a genius. I've never understood why so many people don't realize that Trump suffers from symptoms of at least one personality disorder, as well as possible symptoms of mania.
With Trump, he's playing a character...even though he doesn't seem tor realize it. I've mentioned it before but in the Netflix series "Dirty Money" episode about Trump, two people who helped create The Apprentice said that they basically created a sort of parody of Trump. When they met him, he was a bankrupt, washed up shell of what he used to be...working out of a messy, poorly maintained office in Trump Tower, and reduced to doing commercials for fast food and pizza chains.

So they created this role for him. A version of himself that was still successful, admired, on top of the world, and with young executives lining up for just the chance to work for Trump. Problem is, he actually believed he was that character, and has been playing it ever since.

And as with other performers who know their role very well, he's able to be "on" when needed. Think Ozzy Osborne. He's been ravaged by substance abuse, stammers when talking to the point of being unintelligible, shakes, and shambles along slowly. Yet when he gets onstage, he is suddenly this larger than life figure who gets the crowd going. His onstage persona takes over, and he becomes a rock god for a couple hours a night. Anyone who's done any kind of performance (acting, music, comedy, etc) can tell you that even if you're tired, sick, or hungover, once you're "on" it can all go away so you can do the show.

The Trump supporters, like the man himself, fully buy into the character he's playing when he's at a rally. Unfortunately there's no separate "reality" show where we hilariously watch Trump fumbling over words, forgetting names of people he's known for years, and lashing out at anyone who he thinks is treating him wrong. We've had a few books come out that describe the "real" Trump as a man with decreased cognitive abilities and a tenuous grip on reality, but they're dismissed by the faithful as the work of "disgruntled" people who are "losers."

As for the term limits thing? I like a line from the movie "Dave," where a Presidential look-alike takes over for the real one when he goes into a coma. "I was hired to do a job, and it's a temp job at that." I wish more people would look at politics as a temp job. You do your stint as a public service, then go back to your "real" job. Unfortunately, lobbyists and Super-PACs are not term limited. If we imposed term limits on elected leaders, we'd have to do some serious reform of how campaigns are financed, or the lobbyists would run rings around perpetual freshman Congress critters.

The trouble with temp jobs is that Governance for a massive nation like the US is complicated. Passing legislation on all sorts of highly complicated aspect....

...oh screw it. It isn't like Senators really understand any of this stuff either. However, I will say, term limits doesn't end the imperfection of Democracy. That is a pipedream. Of the top of anyone's head, I doubt someone can instantly name a state with superior governance... ever since they enacted term limits.

The trouble with temp jobs is that Governance for a massive nation like the US is complicated. Passing legislation on all sorts of highly complicated aspect....

...oh screw it. It isn't like Senators really understand any of this stuff either. However, I will say, term limits doesn't end the imperfection of Democracy. That is a pipedream. Of the top of anyone's head, I doubt someone can instantly name a state with superior governance... ever since they enacted term limits.
pipedreams.. pipedreams...
locally nobert... err boebert's fans err... supporters... err the uneducated... the conditioned... the vocal... hehe
anyways, apparently it's best to elect a "citizen"... cuz they gonna learn on the job...

Back
Top Bottom