• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Once in a Black Moon

starwater

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Moving to the 4th Dimension
Happens tomorrow. Its a second new moon in the same month. Last one was in 2016.

I will have my scrying bowl ready to see into the future and eye of newt to add to my cauldron.

What are you going to do?

Happens tomorrow. Its a second new moon in the same month. Last one was in 2016.

I will have my scrying bowl ready to see into the future and eye of newt to add to my cauldron.

What are you going to do?

I will be turning on the porch light, for sure. It gets pretty dark around me without any moonlight.

Well, we always do a little prayer for the shadow esbats, but aside from having two instead of one this month, this seems more like a flaw of the Julian calendar than anything naturally meaningful.

It is more interesting when you get two in three months. Ultimately, it is merely a calendar thing, and has nothing to do with any actual special event.

Well, we always do a little prayer for the shadow esbats, but aside from having two instead of one this month, this seems more like a flaw of the Julian calendar than anything naturally meaningful.

Flaw? It is the difference between a solar (Julian) calendar and a lunar calendar. A lunar calendar has the problem of seasonal annual cycles slipping. A solar calendar will have the equinoxes and solstices always on the same date. The Julian calendar month is longer than a lunar month so, necessarily, there is more than one lunar cycle per month.

Flaw? It is the difference between a solar (Julian) calendar and a lunar calendar. A lunar calendar has the problem of seasonal annual cycles slipping. A solar calendar will have the equinoxes and solstices always on the same date. The Julian calendar month is longer than a lunar month so, necessarily, there is more than one lunar cycle per month.
Personally, I find the Blue Paycheck to be of more interest to my household.

But why bother calling it a "month" if it has shit all to do with the lunar calendar?

Also, the Julian calendar has to blatantly cheat in order to keep the solstices and equinoxes in the right place, hence the Gregorian Reform of 1582, itself a correction of the previous cheat. And it is still wrong. 2 millennia from now, it will be almost a day off again, obliging some future chronological conference to make what I'm sure will be a very controversial decision. You thought the deplanetization of Pluto was intense. Rolexes will fly.

But why bother calling it a "month" if it has shit all to do with the lunar calendar?
Do you still say 'dialing the phone?' When's the last time you saw a dial?

Do we still call them 'lunatics' if we no longer believe the moon is the root cause of the lunacy?

Do we still say 'glass of water' when we know it's a plastic cup?

Do we still call them 'lunatics' if we no longer believe the moon is the root cause of the lunacy?

I don't do any of those things, I'm not a baby boomer lol!

I don't do any of those things, I'm not a baby boomer lol!

Excuse me.....stereotype much you ageist kid. :glare: I have no plans for the black moon. I'm not superstitious. ;)

Back
Top Bottom