• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Page 206

Keith&Co.

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
I'm here...
xijpCd4.jpg

and i thought, that's cute, but the closest book to me is a history of pirates. P 206 in that starts
Not wanting to divorce entirely from the life he was leaving behind, Bonner had his captain's cabin stocked with books from his personal library.
Oh. Well.
Holy fuck...

Chopper Read - Road to Nowhere

"They were watching me for weeks afterwards, paranoid I was going to stab them all in the showers."

road.png

Well, I have been told I have intimacy issues...

“Climb the final large blocks near the summit and crest onto the Continental Divide for an awe-inspiring view into the East Inlet drainage. “

😳

- Rocky Mountain National Park: The Complete Hiking Guide

“Nothing can exceed the obliging disposition of these runners, and the interest they take in a sailor returned from a long voyage with plenty of money.”

Two Years Before the Mast
Richard Henry Dana

"Why I Turned to Neuroscience"
- Principles by Ray Dalio

OK technically that's the section heading, but "when I started Bridgewater two years out of business school, I had to manage people for the first time" doesn't fit as well...

Interesting... I'd say that you should just keep perusing uuntil you find a sentence? Or treat it as a tarot card.

"The Three of Wands, or three stems, reinforces the desire of The Empress for abundance. The tubes, though tiny, are symbols of impending success. The high brims of the vases in the card is a metaphor for grasping the big stem. The Three of Wands is a card that means success is on its way."

Interesting... I'd say that you should just keep perusing uuntil you find a sentence? Or treat it as a tarot card.

"The Three of Wands, or three stems, reinforces the desire of The Empress for abundance. The tubes, though tiny, are symbols of impending success. The high brims of the vases in the card is a metaphor for grasping the big stem. The Three of Wands is a card that means success is on its way."

In China, orchids are regarded as emblems of integrity, elegance and friendship.

In summary, bamboo is a symbol of strength, flexibility, and health. Its strength teaches us to stand upright and its flexibility teaches us to adapt to the harshest circumstances. The combination of these virtues teaches us how to find balance and inner peace in our lives, in turn improving our health.

Nice...

"The triumphant May Queen calls in her consort, Jack-in-the-Green, a young man dressed in fabric leaves, who runs to the center of the circle and kneels at her feet."

I guess I'm up for it? But only if I get to play the Queen.

This is actually a fragment from a description of a sex ritual of sorts as luck would have it, a Golden Dawn-style Beltane rite from Sabina Maglioco's Witching Culture: Folklore and Neopaganism in America.

I'm glad that happened to be the closest book rather than the APA style guide which is also out on the desk but slightly further away; I hate to leave a participle dangling.

Ask Georgia O'Keefe.

Ironically, the book closest to me is "Georgia O'Keefe - Art and Letters". On page 206, Georgia says, "Don't be alarmed about the Beck business --Showing or not showing any ones work doesn't make any better or worse -- so let it go at that -- don't fill your mind with it."

I was really hoping for something spicier.

Well, the "book" closest to me doesn't have page numbers--it's an e-book open on another monitor.

It took a bit of looking to find a dead tree book (while there are other e-books on my system, what's "closest"??), it's some old D&D material:

"If the caster phrases the dictate spell poorly, the DM can assign a saving throw modifier of +1 to +4."

Huh? I didn't know I was into domination and my wife certainly isn't a submissive.

And since when can an atheist cast divine spells?

"If the caster phrases the dictate spell poorly, the DM can assign a saving throw modifier of +1 to +4."
So, she's the CEO and you're the administrative asst.[/]
You take her dictation, and any mistake you make, say if you are distracted, there's a penalty.
And since when can an atheist cast divine spells?
Lower level clerics don't actually draw power from their god, their belief is sufficient. If you believe, really believe, that you get magical powers somewhere, like the Moon, or Ivermectin, or the Pet Sounds album, you're golden.

Okay... I mostly read on Kindle but...
There was a short stack of books off to my right that had been sitting on Mrs Elixir's dresser for a few days.
The top book was some novel by someone named Annie Proulx, and I had been wondering how to pronounce "Proulx" for a few days.

Anyhow, I figured that was the book to my right so I opened it and went looking for page 206.
Page 205 was only a half page long, on the left - the end of a chapter. On the right was a blank sheet. I turned it over, and it was blank on the other side too. On the right, a new chapter began on page 208.
Explains my love life perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom