• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Painting is easy. You push coloured muck around until it looks right.

Nice!

I have no 'drawing' talent.. .at.all. Like so many, my skill level stopped increasing at age 5.

My wife started painting acrylic on canvas.. Abstract / Impressionist stuff. She's been at it for only 3 years or so, but last year she sold one of her paintings at a gallery.. for like a friggin lot of money. I was amazed... mostly because I don't "get" abstract art. My own failing.

I AM a darn good woodworker, though. So I support my wife's hobby by building her canvases. I use some pretty heavy weight cotton duck that she picked out and I get by the roll. I fabricate the stretcher arms from basic lumber stock. I can make any size canvas, up to 12 foot by 12 foot. She generally asks for 4 x 3 or 2 x 3. Very large format stuff.

She paints on canvases that would have cost over $200 to buy, that I built for around $30 in materials.

Technically, they are "strainers", not "stretchers"... but they are Archival Quality.

So, what did you get distracted by at age 5?

Ohh... I don't paint- I do math/programming art.

What I have heard is that most kids without the benefit of a lot of encouragement give up drawing at an early age because they observe other kids with 'natural talent' drawing far better then themselves, so they give it up.

I can distinctly remember a babysitter of mine using my crayons with me and producing a picture (of a clown, I think I remember it being) that was so good, the lesson that "it's not your tools its your skill" sank in with a shock... even those "toys" were capable of producing something so ridiculously beyond my ability, it was evident that I just sucked at it.

My current drawing "skill" is only in the area of engineering and geometry with the assistance of graph paper. Good enough to visualize solutions, but not good enough for anyone to reasonably know what the hell I just drew.

I can't draw to save my soul, but I got on a tangent while taking high school geometry (no pun intended :D ) at age 14/15, and taught myself to make patchwork quilts; I am still enjoying the craft more than 40 years [& 50+ quilts] later.

I graduated high school in the 80's. This year, I came to realize that what I (didn't) learn in Trigonometry would come back and haunt me. I recently started video game development in Unreal Engine and cross product, dot product, calculation of angles and distances, 3D Euclidean geometry are all principles I am struggling with all over again.

Let's have a painting and sketching brag thread.

I'll start - this here's my second attempt at oil on canvas (the first was a bunch of clouds - not a win). Size is about 500x800mm.

View attachment 14148
Very nice. I especially like the left hand open window casement (upper right of the picture) for some reason.

You've captured a 'quality of light' which imo is a winning achievement.

Attachments

• orchidian-19.jpg
    orchidian-19.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 0
  • orchidian-21 small.jpg
    orchidian-21 small.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 0
  • magiccactidemo1-7 small.jpg
    magiccactidemo1-7 small.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 0
  • thingy small.jpg
    thingy small.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 0
  • vines-11small.jpg
    vines-11small.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 0
  • magiccactidemo1-6.0007small.jpg
    magiccactidemo1-6.0007small.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 0
  • orchidian-21 small.jpg
    orchidian-21 small.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 0
  • vines-11small.jpg
    vines-11small.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 0
  • magiccactidemo1-6.0007small.jpg
    magiccactidemo1-6.0007small.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 0
  • thingy small.jpg
    thingy small.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 0
  • coralsmall.jpg
    coralsmall.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 0
  • orchidian-19 small.jpg
    orchidian-19 small.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
You've captured a 'quality of light' which imo is a winning achievement.

Yes, I like the quality of the light also. And I like the reflecting light very much on the ground.

Great thread. Y’all make me want to paint something. I’m only a sketchy painter. Better at drawing but still amateurish. I’m a calligrapher by skill. My mother was a painter and also my mother-in-law, so my attempts are only for the fun of moving the paint around and the house is instead decorated with all of their artwork. But I can make the most elegant diploma you’ve ever graduated with! And pictorial letters and scrollwork as well.

Great thread. Y’all make me want to paint something.

I know right! Of course, my painting skills aren't up to par. If I had the time, I'd draw out a maze like I did several times in years past. It's meticulous but random and begins to take on a look of its own in a mesmerizing kind of way, like how some of the pictures in this thread bring the kind of awe that has us take note and look at the finer detail.

Great thread. Y’all make me want to paint something.

I know right! Of course, my painting skills aren't up to par. If I had the time, I'd draw out a maze like I did several times in years past. It's meticulous but random and begins to take on a look of its own in a mesmerizing kind of way, like how some of the pictures in this thread bring the kind of awe that has us take note and look at the finer detail.

Ah yes. Doodling with no intent whatsoever. Very relaxing. Sometimes turns out well, sometimes doesn't...

Untitled.jpg

Back
Top Bottom