• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Pans

Elixir

Made in America
Basic Beliefs
English is complicated
I am vacillating about buying a "carbon steel" pan or two. They are touted as working in similar fashion as cast iron, but lighter and easier to season.
One thing is that somehow, in the culinary arena stainless steel and carbon steel are two distinct things. (?) That gives me hesitancy. My first job was heliarc welding stainless steel bits and spurs, and the carbon count was always a defining feature of the steel stock. How much carbon does steel need to become "carbon steel" rather than stainless steel?
Mostly though, wondering who if anyone here has or has used "carbon steel" skillets (or other pans).
Thanks in advance for your valued advice. :)

I just realized that my husband's wok is a carbon steel pan. His advice is to put a thin film of peanut oil in the pan, then heat it up, get it nice and hot. Then turn off the heat. When it cools down, use a paper towel to wipe out any excess oil. The oil will seal the pan and fill in any microscopic holes. Do this every time you use the pan and it will keep the pan from sticking. He loves his carbon steel pan. He said it is better than stainless steel. He's had this wok for longer than he's known me, and he's known me for 43 ( OMG! ) years.

Sorry it took me so long to respond to your post. I never realized that his wok was a "carbon steel" pan.

I have a set of kitchen knives we got as a wedding present mumble-mumble years ago. Carbon steel blades made in Japan. Full tang through the handles. Very good knives that sharpen easily. My only complaint is the wooden handles. They're starting to deteriorate from water exposure when washing.

We don't have a wok ourselves but from watching cooking shows, I don't think I've ever seen a stainless steel wok used. They've always been carbon steel.

I didn't know this was a thing. If they work similarly to cast iron I'd definitely recommend them; we have a cast iron pan and absolutely love it. The main advantage it offers is heat retention so it's great for cooking meat (and you can put it in the oven too).

The Carbon Steel seems to offer this advantage (not sure about going in the oven), plus the non-stick ability of stainless steel, so it's likely worth buying. Maybe worth considering which of the two retains heat better.

There are dozens of different common steel alloys, and hundreds of uncommon ones.

The very word 'steel' is a broad catch all that encompasses any alloy with iron and carbon in it, as long as there's not too little carbon (in which case it's usually called 'iron'; Or too much, in which case it's usually called 'cast iron').

'Stainless steel' is likewise a moveable feast; Typically it's defined by its Chromium content, and many Stainless Steels contain significant Nickel and Molybdenum. There are five different classes of Stainless steels, based on the microscopic crystalline structure which defines the broad tempering, work-hardening, and ferromagnetic properties of the final product; And each class contains a large number of different alloys, with different detailed behaviours.

The problem is that steel working is ancient. And two millennia ago, there were no intellectual property laws; So metal workers used security by obscurity, and deliberately set out to name their products in a way that was as confusing as possible to anyone not steeped in the cant of their specific little area of expertise.

Marketers continued this trend, and the whole mess is impenetrable to anyone who's not prepared to spend years learning about the context dependent names of huge numbers of alloys.

'Carbon Steel' may or may not have a specific and precise meaning, when applied to cookware. If it does, it probably has a different (but likely also specific and precise) meaning in other contexts.

And just in case we weren't sufficiently confused, these terms probably have different (but specific and precise) meanings in different regions and countries. Various attempts have been made to rationalise these specifications, such as the AISI three digit numbering system, and the SAE four digit numbering system, which were merged in the late 20th Century; However European and Chinese specifications disagree (but with considerable overlap) on which alloys belong in the 'Stainless steel' category, and which in 'Carbon steel'.

It's therefore quite possible that the same wok is made of stainless steel until you carry it across a national border, at which point it would become fraud to sell it as 'stainless steel', because it's now 'carbon steel'.

Regardless of what you call it, uncoated steel or iron cookware will generally benefit from seasoning with hot oil; And ideally you should use an oil with a low flavour profile and a high smoke point, such as peanut oil or lard.

As a truly crude rule of thumb, cast iron shatters if struck, carbon steel dents if struck, and stainless steel dents but also cracks if struck. Carbon steel pans are, as a result, typically very thin, stainless steel somewhat thicker to avoid cracking, and cast iron thicker still. Thicker implies heavier, but also implies slower and more even heating and cooling. Which is best depends on both your cooking style, and your personal taste. All three will rust if not seasoned, but stainless generally doesn't rust noticeably unless badly mistreated, while the others really do need proper seasoning to avoid corrosion issues. Cast iron is particularly porous, and should never be washed using detergent, which strips out the seasoning.

My late grandmother had cast iron pans and I hated them. My mother used them sometimes, but they were way too heavy for me to use comfortably. We have so many pots and pans that I'm always discouraging the cook from buying more. We do have a stainless steel wok, but I think I'm the only one who ever used it. I still have one stainless steel pot that I bought over 50 years ago. It's still useful. I'm not one who enjoys doing stir fry dishes. If I were still the cook, maybe I'd find something to cook in the stainless steel wok. Perhaps some steamed vegetable dishes.

I just realized that my husband's wok is a carbon steel pan. His advice is to put a thin film of peanut oil in the pan, then heat it up, get it nice and hot. Then turn off the heat. When it cools down, use a paper towel to wipe out any excess oil. The oil will seal the pan and fill in any microscopic holes. Do this every time you use the pan and it will keep the pan from sticking. He loves his carbon steel pan. He said it is better than stainless steel. He's had this wok for longer than he's known me, and he's known me for 43 ( OMG! ) years.

Sorry it took me so long to respond to your post. I never realized that his wok was a "carbon steel" pan.
My wok was great because I did this. Unfortunately, it seems to have deteriorated. Does Mr SoHy recommend that I scrub it and re-season it, or get a new one. We eat a lot of stir fries.

We like cast iron and my husband recently bought a “carbon steel” skillet. He likes it a lot. It heats up FAST compared to the cast iron. And it is harder to season. But it cooks very nicely.

It does not hold the heat as well as cast iron, so it’s not the right choice then you want to cook a large amount; in cast iron once it’s hot you can add 3 cups of onions and it is still HOT, whereas the carbon steel (and the stainless steel) will cool down upon taking on the food and you have to heat it up again, and it interrupts the sear and lets the moisture out, resulting in steamed food rather than seared food..

But for small amounts, or meats that don’t have high moisture content, the carbon steel is very nice. Nice for eggs and lighter weight than the cast iron.

We have a cast iron wok that I love!

I took notice this weekend and realized that the weight of cast iron can actually be an advantage. It's a bit heavy to carry, but stays steady on the stove.

There are dozens of different common steel alloys, and hundreds of uncommon ones.

The very word 'steel' is a broad catch all that encompasses any alloy with iron and carbon in it, as long as there's not too little carbon (in which case it's usually called 'iron'; Or too much, in which case it's usually called 'cast iron').

'Stainless steel' is likewise a moveable feast; Typically it's defined by its Chromium content, and many Stainless Steels contain significant Nickel and Molybdenum. There are five different classes of Stainless steels, based on the microscopic crystalline structure which defines the broad tempering, work-hardening, and ferromagnetic properties of the final product; And each class contains a large number of different alloys, with different detailed behaviours.

The problem is that steel working is ancient. And two millennia ago, there were no intellectual property laws; So metal workers used security by obscurity, and deliberately set out to name their products in a way that was as confusing as possible to anyone not steeped in the cant of their specific little area of expertise.

Marketers continued this trend, and the whole mess is impenetrable to anyone who's not prepared to spend years learning about the context dependent names of huge numbers of alloys.

'Carbon Steel' may or may not have a specific and precise meaning, when applied to cookware. If it does, it probably has a different (but likely also specific and precise) meaning in other contexts.

And just in case we weren't sufficiently confused, these terms probably have different (but specific and precise) meanings in different regions and countries. Various attempts have been made to rationalise these specifications, such as the AISI three digit numbering system, and the SAE four digit numbering system, which were merged in the late 20th Century; However European and Chinese specifications disagree (but with considerable overlap) on which alloys belong in the 'Stainless steel' category, and which in 'Carbon steel'.

It's therefore quite possible that the same wok is made of stainless steel until you carry it across a national border, at which point it would become fraud to sell it as 'stainless steel', because it's now 'carbon steel'.

Regardless of what you call it, uncoated steel or iron cookware will generally benefit from seasoning with hot oil; And ideally you should use an oil with a low flavour profile and a high smoke point, such as peanut oil or lard.

As a truly crude rule of thumb, cast iron shatters if struck, carbon steel dents if struck, and stainless steel dents but also cracks if struck. Carbon steel pans are, as a result, typically very thin, stainless steel somewhat thicker to avoid cracking, and cast iron thicker still. Thicker implies heavier, but also implies slower and more even heating and cooling. Which is best depends on both your cooking style, and your personal taste. All three will rust if not seasoned, but stainless generally doesn't rust noticeably unless badly mistreated, while the others really do need proper seasoning to avoid corrosion issues. Cast iron is particularly porous, and should never be washed using detergent, which strips out the seasoning.

I broke down and got a 10" Misen carbon steel pan, and am in the process of seasoning it. Will report back once we start using it...

Thanks for the post, Bilby; my very first "punch the clock" job was heliarc welding stainless steel bits and spurs (horse tack), and the preferred material was designated "440 stainless" which I was told referred to carbon content. But it also had a molybdenum component and who knows what else. Made me wonder if the term "carbon steel" was as capricious/ambiguous as it turns out to be...

gmbteach said:
My wok was great because I did this. Unfortunately, it seems to have deteriorated. Does Mr SoHy recommend that I scrub it and re-season it, or get a new one. We eat a lot of stir fries.

NO NO NO!! Don't throw it out. You can start over with 600-1200 grit sandpaper to take it down to shiny steel, and start over with the seasoning. Good as new. Supposedly.

You can start over with 600-1200 grit sandpaper to take it down to shiny steel, and start over with the seasoning. Good as new. Supposedly.
Yes, we’ve done this, especially with yard-sale pans. Even used the grinding wheel on some. Down to fresh metal, start re-seasoning again. The past was erased. :)

You can start over with 600-1200 grit sandpaper to take it down to shiny steel, and start over with the seasoning. Good as new. Supposedly.
Yes, we’ve done this, especially with yard-sale pans. Even used the grinding wheel on some. Down to fresh metal, start re-seasoning again. The past was erased. :)
Thanks! Maybe Bilby can do this for me as a Christmas present. I am slowly losing strength in my hands and arms.

He suggests that if you can get a green scotch pad where you live, ( if not, it's just a scrubbing pad made of plastic, I think ) get one and scrub the pan and then season it again. He said it can be a problem if you get the wok too hot when you season it. It will turn a bluish black color.

I broke down and got a 10" Misen carbon steel pan, and am in the process of seasoning it. Will report back once we start using it...

Thanks for the post, Bilby; my very first "punch the clock" job was heliarc welding stainless steel bits and spurs (horse tack), and the preferred material was designated "440 stainless" which I was told referred to carbon content. But it also had a molybdenum component and who knows what else. Made me wonder if the term "carbon steel" was as capricious/ambiguous as it turns out to be...

gmbteach said:

NO NO NO!! Don't throw it out. You can start over with 600-1200 grit sandpaper to take it down to shiny steel, and start over with the seasoning. Good as new. Supposedly.
I guess that advice is about the same as the advice I was told to give you.

gmbteach said:

I guess that advice is about the same as the advice I was told to give you.
Thanks. I will give it a go. It’s the one good pan I got when I left the ex. To ‘keep the piece’ I let him take what he wanted.

Okay folks here’s the report on the Misen 10” carbon steel skillet.
After sparing use over the winter because I didn’t want to (read: wasn’t allowed to) smoke up the house while seasoning it, it decided it was seasoned enough to try an omelette. To my surprise an delight it worked perfectly, beyond all expectation.
The nonstick performance is impressive- fairly identical to our best cast iron that has been seasoned for years.
As an omelette pan it is worlds better because of the geometry of the sides… seems to have more useful bottom area, and the slope of the sides is more spatula-friendly.
It’s an ugly sob but that’s part of the deal.

1653746287892.jpeg

Regarding the wok that @southernhybrid was concerned about - yes, you can start over on it, and in fact that is recommended by some “authorities” on the interwebz.
Scrub it down to bare steel, and finish with 600 (or finer) grit sandpaper, then treat it like new.

Back
Top Bottom