• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Parents Of School Shooter Charged

barbos

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
If poor judgment and impaired impulse control is linked to a recessive gene, it's obvious that both his parents are carriers of that gene.
Well, it's been established that pretty much everything including what brain does is genetic. But in this particular case, kid is 15, his brain won't be fully developed for 10 more years (on average). His parents yeah, they are crazy.

Swammerdami

Squadron Leader
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
pseudo-deism
Yes, the school could have called police, searched the kid's backpack or taken other actions; and yes, the school district will probably be paying out millions in liability judgements. But in the context of present-day Amerika I think it's wrong to pin special blame on the school officials.

First note that, while schools are allowed to search lockers without a warrant — the lockers are school property — this does not apply to backpacks. To forcibly search a backpack without permission from student or parents requires "reasonable suspicion" or, in some cases, "probable cause." Is the school supposed to shell out $200, or whatever it is, for a lawyer's opinion on every incident?

Yes, a judge (if appointed by Democrats) would probably decide that such a search had at least "reasonable suspicion." But legal-system judges are not the relevant judges in post-rational Amerika. Whether they found a gun in the backpack or not, Karen Crumbley would have been posting on Facebook about the assault on their 4th, 2nd and 1st Amendment rights. School officials would start getting death threats. And, when Ethan's suspension was finished and he came back firing a gun, the particular school official who searched the backpack would be first on Ethan's hit-list.

Several Congressmen are receiving death threats repeatedly. (Ilhan Omar is literally up to thousands.) QOP Congressmen are receiving death threats just for voting not to shut-down the government. True, most of these threats won't be acted on; but receiving them is still scary. Kudos to Ilhan and other brave people who persist despite these threats, but millions would not. QOPAnon has learned that, while one man gets only one vote, sending hundreds of death threats gives a single QOPAnoner more political power than dozens of ordinary voters.

In the 1940's the U.S. lost many soldiers rescuing Europe from tyranny. The victims of the Oxford school massacre are martyrs whose deaths should also be turned to good; opinion-makers need to use such incidents to shed light on Amerika's festering faults. If rational citizens are now more likely to vote, or some of the saner Trumpists clear their heads, then these children will not have died in vain.

[off-topic:]
The parents have responsibility towards abs for their son.
This sentence makes no sense.
"abs" is not a word.
Tom
It's supposed to be "and". The B and the S are right next to the N and the D on a standard US keyboard.

Nitpick: If the fingers were all off a key, the 'a' would have hit CapsLock and 'and' would change to 'BS', not 'abs.'

Toni

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Peace on Earth, goodwill towards all
I’ve never been a good typist. I have a different phone and somehow, the keyboard is off from my previous phone although they’re both iPhones plus it autocorrects incorrectly all the time and makes spurious assumptions about my intentions. On my keyboard, the s is just to the left of the d and the b is just to the left of the n and we all know I lean left so I suppose the errors are inevitable.

lpetrich

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Seems like the prosecutor is charging the shooter's parents with  Criminal negligence -- What is criminal negligence? | Nolo

But it's hard to find mentions of criminal negligence in news stories about this prosecution, though I've found Oxford shooting updates: Terrorism charge, Detroit area schools closed
Kris Brown, president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence and a lawyer, said prosecutors would have to pursue a legal theory of criminal negligence in potentially charging the parents because the state does not have strict child access prevention laws like others have adopted.

Politesse

Lux Aeterna
Basic Beliefs
Jedi Wayseeker
I would be interested in hearing a cogent argument as to why the parents should not, in fact, be charged with criminal negligence for their actions and inactions.

T.G.G. Moogly

Traditional Atheist
Basic Beliefs
egalitarian
I would be interested in hearing a cogent argument as to why the parents should not, in fact, be charged with criminal negligence for their actions and inactions.
Well, the NRA seems to be silent on this one. Maybe Alex Jones will have something to say.

barbos

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
Well, the NRA seems to be silent on this one. Maybe Alex Jones will have something to say.
Oh that guy. If only we had a crazy gun-nut democrat with 15 year old kid....

Don2 (Don1 Revised)

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Nonpracticing agnostic
Is it legal for 15 year old to have a handgun?
It sounds as if it is normal at least.

No. There are varying state laws. In their state, it is illegal for a minor to own, buy or possess a gun. Exception for hunting in particular with adult supervision.

Just found the reason the kid was with the father when father bought gun, it was a Christmas gift.

The kid put on social media about having the gift next day. The mother also put in a text somewhere about the gun being a gift.

That's why from parents' perspective, they should have considered greater probability the kid might have HIS gun in backpack. The school was not aware of the immediate, undeterred access to a gun by the student because he illegally OWNED it due to parents.

That's why parents ran. They took $4000 from ATM and were hiding in a commercial building.

Don2 (Don1 Revised)

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Nonpracticing agnostic
Someone was talking about the parents this morning after the news of their arrest came out. I said they were Trump supporters. I was askeds to explain. I said, "Their son had been arrested for a serious crime. When they realized they could be blamed, they abandoned him and ran away.

If poor judgment and impaired impulse control is linked to a recessive gene, it's obvious that both his parents are carriers of that gene.

Here is info on Jennifer Crumbley's open letter to Trump:
“Mr. Trump, I actually love that you are a bad public speaker because that showed sincerity, and humility,” she wrote. “You changed your mind, and you said ‘so what.’ You made the famous ‘grab them in the pussy’ comment, did it offend me? No. I say things all the time that people take the wrong way, do I mean them, not always. Do I agree that you should of [sic] shown your tax returns? No. I don’t care what you do or maybe don’t pay in taxes, I think those are personal and if the Gov’t can lock someone up over $10,000 of unpaid taxes and you slipped on by, then that shows the corruption.”

Crumbley went on to tell Trump that she hoped he would “really uncover the politicians for what I believe they really are,” and that he might “shut down Big Pharma, make health care affordable for me and my MIDDLE CLASS family again.” She was in favor of Trump’s long-promised border wall, and noted that she was “not racist” because her grandfather “came straight off the boat in Italy.”

“As a female and a Realtor, thank you for allowing my right to bear arms,” the letter continued. “Allowing me to be protected if I show a home to someone with bad intentions. Thank you for respecting that Amendment.”

She complained about parents at other schools where the “kids come from illegal immigrant parents” and “don’t care about learning.”

It was signed, “A hard working Middle Class Law Abiding Citizen who is sick of getting fucked in the ass and would rather be grabbed by the pussy.”

Jarhyn

Wizard
Basic Beliefs
Natural Philosophy, Game Theoretic Ethicist
Someone was talking about the parents this morning after the news of their arrest came out. I said they were Trump supporters. I was askeds to explain. I said, "Their son had been arrested for a serious crime. When they realized they could be blamed, they abandoned him and ran away.

“Mr. Trump, I actually love that you are a bad public speaker because that showed sincerity, and humility,” she wrote. “You changed your mind, and you said ‘so what.’ You made the famous ‘grab them in the pussy’ comment, did it offend me? No. I say things all the time that people take the wrong way, do I mean them, not always. Do I agree that you should of [sic] shown your tax returns? No. I don’t care what you do or maybe don’t pay in taxes, I think those are personal and if the Gov’t can lock someone up over $10,000 of unpaid taxes and you slipped on by, then that shows the corruption.”

Crumbley went on to tell Trump that she hoped he would “really uncover the politicians for what I believe they really are,” and that he might “shut down Big Pharma, make health care affordable for me and my MIDDLE CLASS family again.” She was in favor of Trump’s long-promised border wall, and noted that she was “not racist” because her grandfather “came straight off the boat in Italy.”

“As a female and a Realtor, thank you for allowing my right to bear arms,” the letter continued. “Allowing me to be protected if I show a home to someone with bad intentions. Thank you for respecting that Amendment.”

She complained about parents at other schools where the “kids come from illegal immigrant parents” and “don’t care about learning.”

It was signed, “A hard working Middle Class Law Abiding Citizen who is sick of getting fucked in the ass and would rather be grabbed by the pussy.”

All this says to me is an argument that any child whose parents can say "trump won the election" unabashedly despite the massive pile of evidence is the victim of something heinous.

It is the very act of taking a loyalty test to "lawful evil", a vocal and clear/gnostic rejection of truth in such a way that those you perform it in front of may not realize that is what you are doing.

Of course the people participating in this handshake may be partially or wholely ignorant in their conscious mind as to that this is even happening. They may know there are things they don't care about (like, you know, the truth). Much like a handshake, whether a rejection or a sudden offer of one, we may not realize the full set of implications and postures that spin into action when the behavior is done.

Over the last weeks, parallel to a hiring push, I have been party to observe several flirtations occurring between employees at the place where I work, some appreciated and some not. Most interesting among them was one unwanted flirtation performed by a specific coworker, and interesting primarily for the fact that the flirty coworker did not understand that his actions were, in fact, flirting at all. Perhaps many can be treated simply by helping them become aware. I expect some perce gave of people who act in accordance with evil at some level strive to be good.

I expect that many of the evil people (and yes, passing this loyalty test is putting yourself explicitly on the wrong side of ethics) do not understand, consciously, that this is the thing people are talking about when they utter "evil".

I accept that to attach such a strong and elemental word to such a "small" thing is kind of scary; what is scary to me is what this represents: the person who can utter "Trump Won the Election" is exactly the person who tells their son "lol, stop getting caught" when they show red flag behaviors.

T.G.G. Moogly

Traditional Atheist
Basic Beliefs
egalitarian

Is it just me or that so typical? The kid is obviously a victim of bad genes, just like the parents, who no doubt have inherited the same tendencies. It's a good argument for designer babies and eugenics, not to mention laws based on sanity, not an overactive limbic system.

Jarhyn

Wizard
Basic Beliefs

Is it just me or that so typical? The kid is obviously a victim of bad genes, just like the parents, who no doubt have inherited the same tendencies. It's a good argument for designer babies and eugenics, not to mention laws based on sanity, not an overactive limbic system.
I do not blame the genetics. I blame the education in bad faith and the failure to judge against it.

Maybe this kid, if raised by non-shitty parents would still be shitty and selfish and a murderer. We can never really know. What we can know is that if not-shitty parents were raising this child, there would have been no firearms purchased for them, and none left where they may easily take them anyway.

There would have been help and identification of the instabilities and maybe even someone there who could walk them through the fact that internally unconstrained goal seeking leads to unwanted and even abjectly shitty external constraints on which goals will even be available to seek at all: many if not all cooperative goals become unattainable when "eliminating cooperation" is considered an acceptable goal, and if someone learns that early enough, even those for whom 'being evil' brings joy and thrill to may come to avert themselves from those forbidden pleasures for the sake and value of everything else that IS cooperative.

Even if everyone is cooperating for purely selfish reasons, as long as the behavior does not damage that, this is entirely the point: mutually non-destructive self-actualization.

Last edited:

Toni

Contributor
Basic Beliefs

It's not genetic. If my father were still living, I'm certain that he would have supported Trump, despite the cognitive dissonance. My father, uncle, and grandfather and many other relatives all were avid hunters, although none, so far as I know, owned anything remotely like a semi-automatic weapon. My father was a strong supporter of gun rights and proudly conservative--and also unashamedly bigoted, although he called his brand 'being realistic' not being racist. My mother was silent on all things political but her stepfather was a member of the Klan (something we did not find out until decades after he had died). She certainly was conservative with regards to women's rights and always tried to steer me into more feminine pursuits.

We grew up in a pretty conservative midwestern state, north of the Mason Dixon line. My sister and I were talking recently about just how many (i.e. almost all) of our former classmates were avid Trump supporters and who were 'not racist but even had black friends.' And wondered how it was that we, raised in very nearly identical circumstances, generally sharing some of the same gene pool as the other kids our age in our corner of the county, all managed to grow up with vastly different viewpoints on almost every single hotbutton issue you can name.

It's not genetic. It's not even 100% how you're raised--although I do strongly credit my father's edict that we should all think for ourselves. So we did. He was surprised at the results but he should not have been. He and my mother strongly valued education and deeply instilled that value into us because they knew how limited their prospects had been because they only went to high school. They wanted more and better for their kids. And so, despite some of the political rhetoric my father spouted, the strong core values of thinking for oneself, obtaining as much education as possible, hard work, and the idea that no one was better than anyone else (contradicted by some of the...political beliefs spouted), won out over the small minded bigotry. So, maybe core values taught at home do matter. But genes don't.

Jarhyn

Wizard
Basic Beliefs
What a dicked up family.

View attachment 36273

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us...cture-with-guns-days-after-school-2021-12-05/

Democratic U.S. Representative John Yarmuth, who chairs the U.S. House of Representatives Budget Committee, condemned his fellow Kentuckian's post.
"I promise not everyone in Kentucky is an insensitive asshole."
Two realities about gun ownership from a place of wisdom:

One, it is now the correct thing to own a firearm. I'm not talking a handgun, I'm talking about a weapon of war.

Two, it is never the correct thing to do to publicly and loudly make noise and indication that one is prepared for the advent of the need for defense against protofascist militias. Except in the act of informing good people of sane mind and stout courage do (One).

TomC

Celestial Highness
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic deist
"abs" is not a word.
Tom
Thank you. Does the C stand for Clark? My old typing teacher was named Mrs. Clark.

Sorry. Your posts are usually quite precise.

As an oldster, I often find acronyms that I don't recognize in internet posts. That's what it looked like to me. It's not the first time you've posted that. I thought maybe I was being old by not recognizing current slang. It took a while for me to understand "lmao".
Tom

Shadowy Man

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Rational Pragmatism
What a dicked up family.

View attachment 36273

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us...cture-with-guns-days-after-school-2021-12-05/

Democratic U.S. Representative John Yarmuth, who chairs the U.S. House of Representatives Budget Committee, condemned his fellow Kentuckian's post.
Please. Gun ownership and school shootings are so prevalent in the US now you could t possibly blame this family for what is clearly a temporal coincidence.

If anything, he should be criticized for how underpowered his wife looks.

Rhea

Cyborg with a Tiara
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist
That’s a truly disturbing photo.

And you’re right Jarhyn, if it is really for protection - against intruders or tyranny - then only a stupid person would advertise their ownership.

Toni

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
"abs" is not a word.
Tom
Thank you. Does the C stand for Clark? My old typing teacher was named Mrs. Clark.

Sorry. Your posts are usually quite precise.

As an oldster, I often find acronyms that I don't recognize in internet posts. That's what it looked like to me. It's not the first time you've posted that. I thought maybe I was being old by not recognizing current slang. It took a while for me to understand "lmao".
Tom
Thank you for the rather undeserved praise. And from my side, and I hope yours, no harm/no foul. It is often difficult to discern tone and intonation from words ( or jibberish) typed on a screen. We can’t hear the voice or see the smile in the eyes. And it’s not as though I’m never snarky and probably at least once: wrong, although I can’t think of when that would have been…

I hear you re: wondering if something is a new acronym I’ve never heard of. I google a lot, and am sometimes sorry I did.

So no worries on my side….

Ford

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Godless Heathen
Fun fact: I learned today:

The building where the parents were totally not hiding out in? It's not a place where you can just walk in the lobby and disappear up a staircase. You don't get in the building without swiping a key card. They had help.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
I read the guy that totally didn’t hide the parents who definitely weren’t hiding them had no idea what was going on. And it was just something that happened.

TomC

Celestial Highness
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic deist
I hear you re: wondering if something is a new acronym I’ve never heard of. I google a lot, and am sometimes sorry I did.

I honestly did Google abs.
The results were mostly really hot pics. But nothing that seemed relevant.

Now, I get advertising for exercise equipment a lot.
Tom

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
"abs" is not a word.
Tom
It's supposed to be "and". The B and the S are right next to the N and the D on a standard US keyboard.

In other words, her hand slipped one column to the left while typing that. She probably moved her hand for some reason and then put it back in the wrong position. Even with tactile marks on the F and J I have done that sort of thing on occasion and most keyboards don't have those tactile marks.
I have a lot of trouble going from my full size 17" laptop to the keyboard on my much smaller chromebook.

Yup. I'm a quite good typist on my keyboard with it perfectly positioned. Move it ever so slightly and I'm a really shitty typist. And I'm a shitty typist on my laptop--I have a good keyboard stored over in China to use when I'm over there because I care about my keyboard so much.

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
"abs" is not a word.
Tom

Nitpick: If the fingers were all off a key, the 'a' would have hit CapsLock and 'and' would change to 'BS', not 'abs.'

Depends on when her hand moved.

Toni

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
"abs" is not a word.
Tom

On my phone, I type with one finger. I’m pretty fast but my accuracy is the subject of much debate it seems….

Jarhyn

Wizard
Basic Beliefs
"abs" is not a word.
Tom

On my phone, I type with one finger. I’m pretty fast but my accuracy is the subject of much debate it seems….
Oh come on, you have great abs and you should be proud!

Toni

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
"abs" is not a word.
Tom

Oh come on, you have great abs and you should be proud!
I have the abs I’ve earned giving birth four times, living more than six decades, with a mean dark chocolate habit.

Toni

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
I just want to say to everyone who has expressed concern or just an opinion about my typing that I feel all the love, whether that’s how you meant it or not—and I’m grateful. You guys are great!

Bronzeage

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Pragmatic
I read the guy that totally didn’t hide the parents who definitely weren’t hiding them had no idea what was going on. And it was just something that happened.
The official story is they were ratted out by a concerned citizen who recognized the woman from news reports, which gives an idea of their sudden notoriety.

When one is under investigation for a crime, it's never a good idea to do something that makes one look guilty and stupid at the same time.

J842P

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
godless heathen
Given the facts we know right now, it seems reasonable to charge them with something like this. It will be an interesting trial, that's for sure.

Don2 (Don1 Revised)

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Nonpracticing agnostic
I think there will probably be some defense around controlled access to the gun. They're going to claim it was under lock and key and only the parents could access it. So the kid must have stolen the key and access codes to get it using cracking software and blah blah blah whatever sounds good. We can sort of make some reasonable inferences related to this claim, though. So, for example, the primary fact is that the kid was able to get past either very limited security on the gun or no security at all on the gun. We know this because he had the gun and the kid is no genius. When the kid was caught searching for ammo on his phone in class, it also says there is some significant probability the gun is under his control. Otherwise, it would be the parents looking for the ammo and especially putting the ammo in the gun or storing the ammo under lock and key. The mother acting as if the kid looking for ammo is business as usual is a tacit admission that she allows her son to get and store ammo that ought to be under lock and key when it should be the parental responsibility. And not thinking further about where that could lead is on her in the sense of recklessness, neglect, and irresponsibility. Moreover, comments like "LOL" and "don't get caught" show she was willing to circumvent systems of control and responsibility, not to mention be dishonest with people trying to mitigate risk of disaster. And, moreover, she was teaching her son to do the same. There is something that is classically conservative about that. Teaching power and special entitlements, how to lie to hold onto it, and the hypocrisy involved.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
Given the facts we know right now, it seems reasonable to charge them with something like this. It will be an interesting trial, that's for sure.
Not certain if "interesting" is the word I'd use to describe a trial that will attempt to put culpability on the parents who bought a gun right after the school warned them about violent danger signs their son was exhibiting... and then said son used said weapon and murdered four kids.

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Democratic Socialist Atheist
I think there will probably be some defense around controlled access to the gun. They're going to claim it was under lock and key and only the parents could access it. So the kid must have stolen the key and access codes to get it using cracking software and blah blah blah whatever sounds good. We can sort of make some reasonable inferences related to this claim, though. So, for example, the primary fact is that the kid was able to get past either very limited security on the gun or no security at all on the gun. We know this because he had the gun and the kid is no genius. When the kid was caught searching for ammo on his phone in class, it also says there is some significant probability the gun is under his control. Otherwise, it would be the parents looking for the ammo and especially putting the ammo in the gun or storing the ammo under lock and key. The mother acting as if the kid looking for ammo is business as usual is a tacit admission that she allows her son to get and store ammo that ought to be under lock and key when it should be the parental responsibility. And not thinking further about where that could lead is on her in the sense of recklessness, neglect, and irresponsibility. Moreover, comments like "LOL" and "don't get caught" show she was willing to circumvent systems of control and responsibility, not to mention be dishonest with people trying to mitigate risk of disaster. And, moreover, she was teaching her son to do the same. There is something that is classically conservative about that. Teaching power and special entitlements, how to lie to hold onto it, and the hypocrisy involved.
The claim by the father is that the gun was in a nightstand drawer in his bedroom. No mention of locks that I've heard. I think his story is a load of BS anyway to cover his ass with the cops. I think the kid had the gun all along. They bought it for him. It was his xmas gift.

Gospel

Unify Africa
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic
Not trying to be funny. I'm dead serious, but America needs to make metal detectors at the main entrance standard (like they currently do in some predominantly black schools) and all other entrances converted to exits only. They can even add the obligatory bob-wired fences to help prevent (or delay) unauthorized access.

Politesse

Lux Aeterna
Basic Beliefs
Jedi Wayseeker
Little white suburbs like Oxford hate the idea of beefing up security like that; they're not in the "big city" and "nothing like that would ever happen here".

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
Not trying to be funny. I'm dead serious, but America needs to make metal detectors at the main entrance standard (like they currently do in some predominantly black schools) and all other entrances converted to exits only. They can even add the obligatory bob-wired fences to help prevent (or delay) unauthorized access.
You are aware children use Chromebooks for school, right? Wouldn't that be a problem for metal detectors?

Part of the solution is that people with guns don't let their kids get access to them so they can murder people. But that'd be tyranny I suppose. Sure, people are dead, but people die all the time... like in a pandemic.

Shadowy Man

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Rational Pragmatism
You are aware children use Chromebooks for school, right? Wouldn't that be a problem for metal detectors?

Part of the solution is that people with guns don't let their kids get access to them so they can murder people. But that'd be tyranny I suppose. Sure, people are dead, but people die all the time... like in a pandemic.
Kids die of cancer too and we don’t install metal detectors in school!

Keith&Co.

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
I'm here...

But kids die of traffic accidents, and we DO limit the use of wheeled vehicles in the hallways, gyms and cafeterias. Mostly. Outside of Georgia, anyway.

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Democratic Socialist Atheist

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
What a dicked up family.

View attachment 36273

Piece On Earth
And remember... wearing a mask indoors in a public space is "virtue signaling".

Alcoholic Actuary

Basic Beliefs
Atheist
I think police should have been immediately involved with full line of questioning and backpack inspecting. And before even calling parents.
The clarity of hindsight is great, isn't it?
Tom
My impression of american schools is that they are zero-tolerance on everything and here we have complete break-down of that. Remember Ahmed the clock boy?
He was arrested, and this guy should have been too.
Well, you're almost correct. Let's just say if you have the right skin tone and background, you are afforded a pass or two at 'zero-tolerance' and above reproach or even a cursory search at your personal effects. But if you are a brown kid making a clock out in the open?? Well, better safe than sorry amirite? It's the america we'd (most of us) would prefer to get rid of, but it's hard without full recognition that it occurs.

aa

Shadowy Man

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Rational Pragmatism

But kids die of traffic accidents, and we DO limit the use of wheeled vehicles in the hallways, gyms and cafeterias. Mostly. Outside of Georgia, anyway.
What a terrible infringement of personal freedoms!!

And no... Kids die *with* traffic accidents. They likely die *of* something else. I bet the hospitals get extra funding if they put "traffic accident" as cause of death on the death certificates.

Top Bottom