• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Peanut Gallery Thread for Discussion of wiploc and thatguysnephew on the morality of abortion

Wiploc

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Strong Atheist
Wiploc and thatguysnephew discuss the morality of abortion here.

This thread is the peanut gallery for people who wish to comment on that thread. Please make your comments here rather than there.

By the way, this is thatguysnephew's first time at a discussion board. Gently does it.

"Forcing people to have children is bad; it makes people unhappy." - Wiploc

Some of those people are the children concerned.

Good opening posts in the debate thread, imo. Nice not to see dogma. Keep up the good work. We don't have to come to blows just because the topic is very sensitive. But you both already probably appreciate that.

Also, welcome to the board, thatguysnephew, I hope you have a positive experience, even if there is disagreement on the topic at hand. Anyways, here is my hand....:wave2:

I disagree with everyone.

TLDR part:

Your position on the issue is incorrect.

I skimmed through, but missed the part where the existence of a thing people are calling a "soul" is established as real, and not simply imagined.

It seems a critical point of contention as to the "value" and the "rights" of a clump of undifferentiated cells.

When does a fertilized egg become something that falls under legal protection? The obvious answer, to me, is "at birth" - a nice clean, clear line that works for every known entity on Earth.

How far down the birth canal does the unborn human being have to make it to be safe?

How far down the birth canal does the unborn human being have to make it to be safe?

How far past the corrupt western Christian socioeconomic system does a decent person have to get to have non-doublespeak social security?

Here's a couple of my own thoughts about abortion. I've never had one but have had several friends who have had abortions.

Considering that multitudes of women lose their fetuses naturally, what lay people commonly refer to as "miscarriage," it would seem as if God, since Chrisitians believe that he controls everything, is the biggest abortionist of them all. It's always been difficult for me to wrap my head around the idea that it's wrong for a woman to end a pregnancy but God, or what we atheists would refer to as nature, can do it on a whim.

And, whether or not one feels abortion is moral, abortions have and will always take place regardless of their legality. Legalization only makes them safer. Considering that women have always had abortions, is it morally correct to force them to have the procedure done by someone who may not be qualified to do it safely?

Abortion is obviously a difficult issue, I think the most difficult we are likely to have to face individually.

I take birth to be our natural notion of what it is to come to this world and become a person. Going beyond that can only result in ideological posturing.

As I see it, the two most essential conditions in this world for a newborn is to have your natural parents and natural parents prepared to care for you. Abortion should therefore remain the decision of the potential natural parents.

We talk sometimes of abortion as a "private decision". Not quite, in my view. This goes beyond the distinction between public and private, even if in the end this has to be the legal distinction to make. To me, the question is not that it is a private decision. It is much more fundamentally a question of reproduction. And it seems unquestionable that reproduction should be left for the natural genitors to decide. Society should only get involved to help them.

That being said, the issue of abortion can easily become a very emotional one for many people and various organisations will play on these emotions to try and have their way. The role of government should be both to put the potential genitors in front of their responsibility, without minimising the issue, and to protect them against the rest of society so that they can make a free choice.
EB

Now children are possible through such as implantation where tailored embryos are potential choices. Whither birth has moved from nature to science of man. So cut the crap about when rights of the not breathing on it's own being the crucial nugget in this golden chase for new people.

I take birth to be our natural notion of what it is to come to this world and become a person. Going beyond that can only result in ideological posturing.

I don't think birth is the starting point of procreation.

Back
Top Bottom