• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Pegasus

Tharmas

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Pantheist
Several years ago MS Tharmas took a class in welding, and since then she has created many artistic objects out of old tools, old electronics, and miscellaneous scrap. Here is her latest creation, Pegasus. I was quite impressed when she brought it home.

pegasus.png

That's pretty cool. You two definitely have some artist genes in you. Is this the only artisty thing your wife does lately? Does she still write?

That's pretty cool. You two definitely have some artist genes in you. Is this the only artisty thing your wife does lately? Does she still write?

She stopped writing about the time I switched from poetry to prose (20 years ago or so). Since then she's focused on tangible art projects. She's done some needlework, made several dozen extremely attractive hooked rugs, some of which are patterns and some of which are portraits, and has now taken up welding creations out of found objects. She's also working on a quilt. Altogether I'd say she has the talent in the family. I've been working on a novel for ten years. It's finally beginning to gel. We'll see.

She stopped writing about the time I switched from poetry to prose (20 years ago or so). Since then she's focused on tangible art projects. She's done some needlework, made several dozen extremely attractive hooked rugs, some of which are patterns and some of which are portraits, and has now taken up welding creations out of found objects. She's also working on a quilt. Altogether I'd say she has the talent in the family. I've been working on a novel for ten years. It's finally beginning to gel. We'll see.

What prompted the decision to move away from poetry? Did the well of inspiration run dry, or did you just get tired of writing it? If either of you produced something for purchase from the period I'd be interested in taking a look. Would also be interested in your novel when you get through it.

What prompted the decision to move away from poetry? Did the well of inspiration run dry, or did you just get tired of writing it?

Perhaps a little of both. It happened gradually. I started out with an interest in narrative, which has always been there in my poetry, and added to that I became interested in the technical aspects of long lines. Those interests sort of naturally led me to prose poetry, where I could add more detail but still keep much of the rhythms and movement between images. I took one of my longish narrative poems and expanded it to a prose poem. The result was very pleasing to me. Eventually I was just writing prose. That's the gist of it, although naturally there are more details.

MS Tharmas continues her whimsical welding. Here is a Statue of Liberty she actually did a while ago. Notice the arms are reversed – that “should be” the right arm holding the torch. The reversal is deliberate and copies some well-known outsider artists’ work.
Liberty.jpg

More recently she’s been populating our garden with robots.

Detail:
robot detail 1.jpg

Detail:
robot detail 2.jpg

The whole assemblage:
robot all.jpg

Back
Top Bottom