• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Police Misconduct Catch All Thread

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Just my opinion but I believe both the teenagers and the police are jointly legally responsible and should all be charged.

No--the teens arrested had nothing to do with the girl's death. Felony murder requires that the death be a reasonably foreseeable result of their felonious behavior, this one wasn't.

Coleman Smith

Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Just my opinion but I believe both the teenagers and the police are jointly legally responsible and should all be charged.

No--the teens arrested had nothing to do with the girl's death. Felony murder requires that the death be a reasonably foreseeable result of their felonious behavior, this one wasn't.
"reasonably foreseeable" is a fact question for the jury and there is no need for the felony murder charge. If the teenagers had not fired their weapons would this fatality have occurred?

I am sure that firing a weapon in the city is probably a felony by it self.

That is sufficient.

Worldtraveller

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
I didn't join the military but I am one of the America-loving black people. To me, America looks awesome on paper. She's page three of Jet Magazine, but when you meet her supporters not all of them are as attractive.
That is a disturbingly apt description.

Jarhyn

Wizard
Basic Beliefs
Natural Philosophy, Game Theoretic Ethicist

"reasonably foreseeable" is a fact question for the jury and there is no need for the felony murder charge. If the teenagers had not fired their weapons would this fatality have occurred?

That is sufficient.
Quite possibly. Maybe someone might have lit off some fire crackers or m80's or lit off some impact "snaps" in a plastic bottle.

The death happened because two officers reacted wildly inappropriately to a situation. It didn't need to be exactly that situation they were reacting wildly inappropriately to; there are many such situations that could provoke such reckless and wanton response from such reckless and wanton people

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist

That is sufficient.

The cops responding to your firing a weapon by killing a completely uninvolved person is not a reasonably foreseeable result to me. (Now, if they had shot at you, missed and hit a bystander that would be another matter.)

Gospel

Aethiopian
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic
The cops responding to your firing a weapon by killing a completely uninvolved person is not a reasonably foreseeable result to me. (Now, if they had shot at you, missed and hit a bystander that would be another matter.)

It is a reasonably foreseeable result if you're aware that cops are as good at hitting their target as stormtroopers.

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist

It is a reasonably foreseeable result if you're aware that cops are as good at hitting their target as stormtroopers.

No--this isn't a case of bad aim, but completely insane target selection.

Top Bottom