• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Pope asks Forgiveness; Does not Accept Responsibility

T.G.G. Moogly

Traditional Atheist
Basic Beliefs
egalitarian
This thread could have been titled, "Say it ain't so Frankie-O", because I agree it is more about PR and damage control than anything substantial. Essentially his popeship is saying that his church and its priests are more important than any child. If Frankie had instituted a reward for reporting pedophiles it would have been more encouraging. But he didn't do that. He rather stroked a few people and sounded all "I'm sorryish" without doing anything more. He actually said it's a good thing that these poor victims still hold his popeship and kin in such high regard as to come to the vatican.

“Over the past 2000 years, two popes have met with about two dozen clergy sex abuse victims. Very little has changed,” Mary Caplan, the leader of the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests (SNAP) said in a statement sent to NBC News. "A dozen popes could meet with 100 victims, and very little will change. These meetings are public relations coups for the Vatican and a distracting placebo for others.”

So Frankie doesn't get it. What else is new, I suppose.

The pope is still a douchebag who protects pedophiles

“If you look at the time the pope dedicated to them, and their emotional reaction, it’s clear this was not a public relations event.
Yeah....
Six victims out of how many?
I'd rather see him meet with six bishops and tell them to turn over records to secular law enforcement. That might lead to actual change.

Question: what % of the existence of this institution involved them in criminal (or criminal in the modern age) practices they claim to repent of? I'm aware of public burnings of heretics as late as the 17th Century...Vatican-sanctioned mistreatment of Jewish populations well into the 19th (yes, Edgardo Mortara and the ghetto his parents had to live in)...the horrors of the current round of scandals. Not that the big names in the Reformation didn't also have their ugly side. It seems to me that Christianity has sanctioned torture and ghastly executions for heresy for about 80 or 85% of its existence (maybe it's closer to 70% if you lop off the opening centuries, before the church gained secular power.) What a heritage. Truly showing god's nature to man.

More news on the subject

About two percent of Roman Catholic clerics are sexual abusers, an Italian newspaper on Sunday quoted Pope Francis as saying, adding that the pontiff considered the crime "a leprosy in our house".

... the Church should "weep and make reparation" for crimes that he said had taken on the dimensions of a sacrilegious cult. He vowed zero tolerance for abusers and said bishops would be held accountable if they covered up crimes by priests in their diocese.

But his popeship didn't say that 100% of those clergy protected pedophiles and attempted to cover up their crimes, even if not actively. And he went on to say that it wasn't cardinals or bishops. That's a laffer because all those higher level poobahs were priests at one time.

Leprosy in Our House

Back
Top Bottom