• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.
  • 2021 Internet Infidels Fundraising Drive
    Greetings! Time for the annual fundraiser.Sorry for the late update, we normally start this early in October. Funds are needed to keep II and IIDB online. I was not able to get an IIDB based donations addon implemented for this year, I will make sure to have that done for next year. You can help support II in several ways, please visit the Support Us page for more info. Or just click:

I will try to track all donations from IIDB. Many thanks to those that have already donated. The current total is $550. If everyone dontated just $5, we would easily hit our goal.

Post Your Own Wildlife Photography

RavenSky

The Doctor's Wife
Staff member
I know we had a great thread with a great title for wildlife photography, but I can't find it. If anyone can recall the name of the thread and/or the forum it is in, I will happily merge the threads.

In the meantime, I went on safari in my aunt's backyard to test out my new camera. Here are a few of my favorite shots.

2018-07 Aunt Lorraine's backyard - cardinal with seed 800x640.jpg

2018-07 Aunt Lorraine's Backyard - female Cardinal behind branch 800x640.jpg

2018-07-21 Aunt Lorraine's backyard - cardinal 800x800.jpg

2018-07-21 Aunt Lorraine's backyard - flowers 600x400.jpg

Attachments

• 2018-07 Aunt Lorraine's backyard - cardinal looking.jpg
    2018-07 Aunt Lorraine's backyard - cardinal looking.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • 2018-07 Aunt Lorraine's Backyard - female Cardinal behind branch.jpg
    2018-07 Aunt Lorraine's Backyard - female Cardinal behind branch.jpg
  • 2018-07 Aunt Lorraine's backyard - cardinal with seed 2000x1600.jpg
    2018-07 Aunt Lorraine's backyard - cardinal with seed 2000x1600.jpg
Last edited by a moderator:

RavenSky

The Doctor's Wife
Staff member
I found Angry Floof's cousin, too!

Technically not very good, but I just love the expression on this bird's face :D

2018-07 Aunt Lorraine's backyard - cardinal -angry bird.jpg

crazyfingers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ya. That old thread was great but with Photobucket now charging something like $400 a a year to use it to post photos they now block all those old photos. I deleted my account. I think a new topic to start fresh is good. I don't know if it's new or has always been but I see that TFT accepts attachments which is great.

crazyfingers

Super Moderator
Staff member
In an effort to help restart the topic, attached are wither interesting or nice photos.

First I find interesting is a gray squirrel in a blizzard taken through my basement door.
2018 01 04 10 00 31.JPG

Second, I have no idea what these white things are. They are in a tide pool on the coast of Maine. Are they animal or plan? Have no idea yet. Have tried searching and no results yet.
2018 05 27 13 40 01.JPG

Third is a small lizard that is common in Japan. Was in japan in June.
2018 06 08 21 07 16.JPG

Forth, the Osprey are back on the nest at one of my favorite wildlife spots. Mud Creek bridge that spans a very muddy tidal estuary in Maine.
2018 07 03 11 07 08.JPG

Fifth, my first good photo of a barn swallow.
2018 07 04 16 16 13.JPG

OK. I need practice. Not sure why these photos show up so large.

phands

Veteran Member
This guy was spotted in Central Park......

20180520_161053-EFFECTS.jpg

Took this in Fort Tryon Park in Manhattan a couple of weeks back.

20180506_161802_2.jpg

phands

Veteran Member
Took this on the High Line in Manhattan a couple of weeks back. Get a look at that bee - it may be one of the last you'll see. Taken by the superb camera on my Samsung Galaxy Note 8. Annoyingly, I had to resize it to under half original, because VBulletin wouldn't take the full size image.

20180505_123704.jpg

RavenSky

The Doctor's Wife
Staff member
Took this on the High Line in Manhattan a couple of weeks back. Get a look at that bee - it may be one of the last you'll see. Taken by the superb camera on my Samsung Galaxy Note 8. Annoyingly, I had to resize it to under half original, because VBulletin wouldn't take the full size image.

View attachment 16738

I will be walking the High Line on Saturday. Can't wait!

crazyfingers

Super Moderator
Staff member
:love:

Love the squirrel in the blizzard and the barn swallow :love:

What lens do you use for your wildlife photos? :parrot:

Thanks!

I don't really use a special lens. I use a Canon Powershot SX50 camera which is basically a point and shoot camera with a very powerful zoom on it. It's not DSLR quality by a long shot but very portable and a huge zoom range.

This morning there was a chipmunk on the basketball hoop base. I took a photo with the zoom at max and then took the next photo with no zoom from the same spot. You can see the range it has. Yes it really can pinpoint that spot on the base of the basketball hoop from where I was. No cropping involved.

The chipmunk photo especially is a bit fuzzy because by taking the camera straight out of the air conditioned house into the high humidity the lens kept fogging over and I kept having to wipe it.

2018 07 26 08 57 42.JPG2018 07 26 08 58 02.JPG

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
I wouldn't say the chipmunk shot is fuzzy, I think the wrong part focused, as the detail of the plastic base to the left of the chipmunk is very sharp.

crazyfingers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Under birding ethics it's not ordinarily considered ethical to photograph chicks in the nest but in this case I made an exception. While we were away in Maine for the July 4th week some house sparrows set up nest in a rot hole in the trim on my detached garage. It's right by the garage door opener! Silly birds. I can't tell you how many times I've gone to open the garage and either mom or dad came bolting out. Multiple times they slammed right into me so now I actually stand to the side when I open the remote hatch so that a bird won't crash into me and possibly hurt itself or hit my eyes.

Anyway, the chicks are hatched and hungry. I took these photos from about where the basketball hoop is in the photo in the post above.

The remote and the nest hole are on the right side of the right door behind the car.

As with the post above, the photos are not as clear as they would ordinarily be because of the constant fogging up of the lens.

A chick with it's disproportionately large mouth, the better for feeding it, hanging open expecting a meal.
2018 07 25 12 03 37.JPG

Same chick waiting
2018 07 25 12 04 20.JPG

A wider angle shot showing the remote control and dad guarding the nest.
2018 07 25 12 03 14.JPG

RavenSky

The Doctor's Wife
Staff member
:love:

Love the squirrel in the blizzard and the barn swallow :love:

What lens do you use for your wildlife photos? :parrot:

Thanks!

I don't really use a special lens. I use a Canon Powershot SX50 camera which is basically a point and shoot camera with a very powerful zoom on it. It's not DSLR quality by a long shot but very portable and a huge zoom range.

This morning there was a chipmunk on the basketball hoop base. I took a photo with the zoom at max and then took the next photo with no zoom from the same spot. You can see the range it has. Yes it really can pinpoint that spot on the base of the basketball hoop from where I was. No cropping involved.

The chipmunk photo especially is a bit fuzzy because by taking the camera straight out of the air conditioned house into the high humidity the lens kept fogging over and I kept having to wipe it.

WOW! That is one heck of a zoom, especially on a point & shoot!

crazyfingers

Super Moderator
Staff member
This morning what I think is a red-shouldered hawk on a dead tree. ID is not no easy. I think it's red shouldered mainly because it was repeatedly making a call that strongly resembles a pile of sea gulls.

My photos attached.

IMG_0324.JPG

IMG_0325.JPG

IMG_0326.JPG

IMG_0330.JPG

The Youtube is not mine but is the call that the hawk was making.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6ftroSdOH4[/YOUTUBE]

crazyfingers

Super Moderator
Staff member
In case anyone is curious where that hawk above was, I've attached a photo that provides perspective from where I was standing. It's about what a naked eye view would be. In the center of the photo is a dead tree with branches making a V. Inside the V is a red circle showing another V on a tree further away. The bird was on the V inside the V. in the red circle. It's very hard to see that V without opening the photo and zooming and even then it's very light.

IMG_0340.JPG

crazyfingers

Super Moderator
Staff member
The baby house sparrows in my garage appear to have fledged. They were there yestrday and gone today. Two days ago the parents has cleared a space for the kids to more easily fly out. Now the parents have cleaned out the hole of dirty crap and left it on the ground and it looks like they are now relining the hole for the next batch. I guess they don't mind my coming by several times a day to open the garage.

bilby

Fair dinkum thinkum
The baby house sparrows in my garage appear to have fledged. They were there yestrday and gone today. Two days ago the parents has cleared a space for the kids to more easily fly out. Now the parents have cleaned out the hole of dirty crap and left it on the ground and it looks like they are now relining the hole for the next batch. I guess they don't mind my coming by several times a day to open the garage.

Are you sure that they are house sparrows, and not garage sparrows? ;)

Mediancat

Super Moderator
Staff member
new 7.jpg

Prominent moth caterpillar on my hand.

chew 3.jpg

Bush katydid nymph.

few 7.jpg

Hummingbird moth.

Rob

Attachments

• mew 13.jpg
    mew 13.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 2

crazyfingers

Super Moderator
Staff member
The old wildlife topic got bumped and i accidentally posted in it yesterday.

We are in Maine this week. Will get the photos posted later but so far nice photos of a loon. Also at low tide this evening (sunday)we went down and found, got photos of, star fish, sea urchins, big hemit crags, eels and others strange critters and a hard shell clam, chohog, that was so huge it could be a whole meal.. we put them all back.

Today (monday) we went to the Schoodic section of Acadia National Park. It the point i saw a ruckus of gulls and cormorants several hundred yards off the point. I pointed my camera and zoomed. There were three animals with fluke fins breaking the surface. I assume common dolphins. I have no idea why common dolphins would attract a croud of cormorants and gull unless they were all attracted to a school of fish. Photos in a few days.

Later after dinner we went to the shore again at low tide. The kids got a live sand dollar, jonah crab, sea cucumber, many huge fiddler crabs, green sea urchin and a live lobster by net wading in the water.

Again, photos to follow in a few days. I am posting from my Tablet using my phone's hotspot.

crazyfingers

Super Moderator
Staff member
"How much wood would a wood chuch chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?"

Ground hog/ wood chuck, whissle pigs, are a rare photo! At least for me.

Arctish

Contributor
The old wildlife topic got bumped and i accidentally posted in it yesterday.

I bumped it because I didn't know about this thread. Reposting those posts here:

Common Hawker (Aeshna juncea)

View attachment 17007

Fun fact:

Female common hawkers will sometimes dive out of the sky and fake their death in order to avoid copulating with males

I'm pretty sure this is an Eye-Spotted Lady Beetle larva (Anatis mali) on my mailbox.

View attachment 17008

Mediancat

Super Moderator
Staff member
"How much wood would a wood chuch chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?"

Ground hog/ wood chuck, whissle pigs, are a rare photo! At least for me.

I see them regularly, but it is an uncommon experience to get a picture of them, I agree.

Rob

Copernicus

Industrial Grade Linguist
One of my dearest friends from college is now a retired journalist. He has been birding for just five years, but I find some of his photos truly amazing. Many of us have been pestering him to publish them, and he finally has put up a web site. Some of these pictures are quite stunning. If you visit the web page, it is a slide show. Just wait a few moments, and it will start. Enjoy.

Wings and Wonder

crazyfingers

Super Moderator
Staff member
We got home from Maine today. I think that this will be 5 pages.

A Common Loon in Frenchman Bay
2018 08 11 15 40 47.JPG

Some eel kind of thing in a tide pool. It's about 5 inches long. There is a smaller one to the right. Also a green crab.
2018 08 12 18 19 08.JPG

Very small Star Fish
2018 08 12 18 19 25.JPG

Very small green sea urchin
2018 08 12 18 20 09.JPG

A normal size green sea urchin
2018 08 12 18 31 20.JPG

Page 1/5

crazyfingers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some small spiny fish in a tide pool. It's about 3 inches long
2018 08 12 18 45 08.JPG

A huge quahog or hard shell clam. It was a few feet below low tide.
2018 08 12 18 55 27.jpg

Common Eider
2018 08 13 14 18 55.JPG

From Schoodic Point looking out to the ocean a ruckus of gulls and cormorants and in the upper left there is a common dolphin breaking the surface
2018 08 13 14 26 34.JPG

A closer shot of a dolphin. As I mentioned a few days ago, I can only guess there is a school of some food swimming below to attract all these critters.
2018 08 13 14 27 57.JPG

Page 2/5

crazyfingers

Super Moderator
Staff member
A pile of cormorants on an island at a tidal falls
2018 08 13 15 26 11.JPG

Same island, some common eiders in an eddy
2018 08 13 15 30 24.JPG

An Osprey headed somewhere
2018 08 13 18 31 15.JPG

A live sand dollar urchin. Low Low tide again and the kids went looking for critters
2018 08 13 18 42 01.JPG

A bucket with some of the first finds. The sand dollar is in there and the other blob is a sea cucumber. There are also small and very large hermit crags.
2018 08 13 18 44 13.JPG

Page 3/5

crazyfingers

Super Moderator
Staff member
A Lion's Mane jellyfish floating to shore. Probably dead.
2018 08 13 18 49 22.JPG

The bucket. Many more hermit crabs have been added. Also a Jonah crab and a green sea urchin.
2018 08 13 19 27 36.JPG

A better look at the sea cucumber
2018 08 13 19 28 49.JPG

The last thing the kids got at low tide that evening was a live lobster. They herded it to shore and then grabbed it. All of the critters in the bucket were set free.
2018 08 13 19 36 28.JPG

Next evening a mackerel that they got while fishing off the docks.
2018 08 15 16 53 01.JPG

page 4/5

crazyfingers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Last page

A red squirrel on the rocks
2018 08 16 16 40 02.JPG

A juvenile bald eagle
2018 08 16 16 45 42.JPG

A snapping turtle on a rock
2018 08 17 13 14 54.JPG

Page 5/5.

We are home for the work week and going back up to Maine Friday through Labor Day.

crazyfingers

Super Moderator
Staff member
This morning when I stepped out in the driveway a ruby throated humming bird was at the flowers. These are not the sharpest photos because I was at maximum zoom and it was quite cloudy out.

IMG_0867.JPGIMG_0869.JPGIMG_0870.JPG

crazyfingers

Super Moderator
Staff member
It turns out what I had identified as a common dolphin in the series above is actually a harbor porpoise.

Someone on a wildlife forum helped me out. I think I need to study up on dolphin vs porpoise!

Anyway, we are now back in Maine until Sept 3. Smartphone hotspots and tablets are good for reading and surfing the web but chew data if I connect my notebook to upload photos.

Just for kicks, posting this from my tablet. This is the view from the old shack. The mountains across the bay are Acadia National Park. Posting one photo from the tablet is like 10x the effort from a notebook.

Currently I'm im my bedroom and if it was daytime this would be my view if there wasn't so much 100 year old family junk between me and the window.

.2018 07 07 08 48 22~01.jpg

crazyfingers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Still in Maine. Today I got one of my rarist animals to photograph and almost outside my door.

In my last post above I provided a picture of the view from our old house. The house is just across the street behind me taking the photo above.

I have walked across the street and down that field at least 50 times this week. Today at late afternoon to dusk I saw such a great critter. A porcupine. It has a very will traveled, and sat in, patch of tall grass just below a crabapple tree. I have no idea if he's been sitting there all week and I never noticed or if he only comes by from time to time.

Regardless, I visited him from time to time over about 90 minutes hoping to get a face shot. While he showed his backed to me many times, he never moved 3 feet from this spot below his crabapple tree and the several already on the ground and some eaten.

I will check later tonight and tomorrow if he just stays there with his apples. Literally it's a 20 second walk frim door to check on him.

He could have easily gone into the deep woods today but steadfastly chose not to do so.

Ps. 10pm now. I took a look. Not there. I did grab an apple off the tree. Took a bite or 5. Not crabapples at. More like uncultivated Granny Smiths, quite good but would used another eeek to ripen.

Less afraid and didn't turn his quills to me
2018 09 01 18 15 03.JPG

Earlier photo showing me hid backsde
2018 09 01 18 00 27.JPG

More other photos to come when I return home on Labor day. Doing this from mt tablet.

Last edited:

Mediancat

Super Moderator
Staff member
new 14.jpg

Bush katydid.

crew 2.jpg

Red-legged grasshopper.

crew 6.jpg

Young wood duck.

dew 5.jpg

Monarch butterfly caterpillars.

Rob

crazyfingers

Super Moderator
Staff member
We got home from our last vacation to Maine yesterday and I have a few photos. This will be 4 pages.

A Herring Gull has dragged a Jonah crab onto shore and is proceeding to eat it.
2018 08 25 15 32 42.JPG

A Ruby Throated Humming Bird at the feeder
2018 08 25 17 54 35.JPG

A Loon off shore appears to be eating or trying to eat a lobster! What is one big task!
2018 08 28 11 50 37.JPG

A Willet at the Petit Manan Wildlife refuge. This is my first Willet photo that I know of
2018 08 29 14 02 55.JPG

A "Steve". I have no idea how my kids came up with that name but all grasshoppers of this kind are named "Steve".
2018 08 29 14 07 01.JPG

crazyfingers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Page 2/4

Assorted shells. Mussel, periwinkle, driller, conch shell, The claw of a Jonah crab.
2018 08 29 14 47 58.JPG

The Semipalmated Plovers have arrived in Maine. They flock together and comb the beach together. Later this season the semipalmated Sandpipers will also arrive. The two species love to hang out together and when spooked they even fly off and fly off together only to sand at the same spot of the beach.
2018 08 29 14 53 58.JPG

Closeup of the Semipalmated Plover. Very cute birds.
2018 08 29 14 59 18.JPG

"Mt Sticky-Toes" No idea what kind of toad or frog this is. Hes on the wall of the house hanging on with his sticky toes.
2018 08 30 10 33 07.JPG

A Harbor Seal off the coast of the Wonderland Section of Acadia National Park. I hear them a lot at our house. Off shore there are a number of small rocky islands lacking any trees. At night they sit on those rocks and I can hear them bark, grunt, roar, and moan.
2018 08 30 14 26 26.JPG

crazyfingers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Page 3 of 4

A butterfly of some kind sitting on a pile of sea weed. I would never have spotted it except that I saw it land there. Blends right in.
2018 08 30 14 40 00.JPG

The Osprey are back at the nest on the power pole at Mud Creek. Last summer they were gone. Back this year.
2018 08 30 16 11 20.JPG

A dragonfly on a rock. I'm not up on my dragonflies
2018 09 01 16 45 23.JPG

A Black Guillemot. It was feeding down at the harbor. I don't typically see them there. These guys are divers for food. They go under for maybe 30-45 seconds looking for food. They are also tiny. Probably 1/4 the size of a mallard duck.
2018 09 02 15 21 33.JPG

Probably a hare and not a rabbit. Hares appear to be more common than rabbits in Maine.
2018 09 02 16 48 30.JPG

crazyfingers

Super Moderator
Staff member
page 4 of 4.

Lastly, the porcupine kept showing up. The house has been occupied by people for almost a month and all of a sudden the last 3 days he has shown up.

Being nocturnal, the porcupine would be out in the morning. Go missing during the day and then come out at dusk. Sometimes on the other side of the street. And sometimes across the street by the house.

Here he is right next to our front deck. He didn't mind our watching him. He would puff up his spines if I got within 5 or 6 feet but otherwise would just continue what he was doing, here eating grass and weeds. Porcupines might not be fast but they sure are slow. This is the slowest moving animal I have ever met. Sadly that's why there are so many dead ones on the side of the roads. Porcupines and skunks.
2018 09 02 19 02 06.JPG

Best closeup I got of his face. Notice his two front teeth, porcupines being a rodent.
2018 09 03 07 41 13.JPG

Top Bottom