• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Project 2025 - Presidential Transition Project

Just ran into another little bit of evil in Project 2025.

They want to nuke NOAA because they dare to say things about climate that MAGA doesn't want said. I just found myself on the NOAA website--registering a personal locator beacon. (Basically, the minimal but most reliable backcountry 911.) The same system handles boat and aircraft beacons. Nuke NOAA and there goes the whole top level of search and rescue.

Republicans ‘Green New Deal’ themselves with Project 2025 - E&E News by POLITICO - "Republicans have for years villainized the progressive climate proposal. Democrats are turning the tables."

Just as Republicans have been using "Green New Deal" as a dirty word, Democrats are now using "Project 2025" as a dirty word.

“This is just rocket fuel for Democratic motivation and turnout,” said Rep. Jared Huffman (D-Calif.), who leads a House Democratic task force to stop Project 2025, in an interview with POLITICO’s E&E News.

“The Green New Deal was an aspirational, nonbinding vision statement … this Project 2025 manifesto is the opposite of that, it is a very detailed blueprint for just a host of specific policies and actions.”

Huffman, a co-sponsor of the Green New Deal, added, “The Green New Deal was also talking about doing things like cleaning up our air, making people healthier, giving them health care; [Project 2025] is talking about taking away people’s fundamental rights and ending democracy as we know it.”

They'll also completely gut any environmental regulations whatsoever. So say hello to mass pollution of the air, water, more extreme heat, etc. Wouldn't be surprised if they destroy the ozone layer and bring back DDT as well. It would be a literal hellscape.

They'll also completely gut any environmental regulations whatsoever. So say hello to mass pollution of the air, water, more extreme heat, etc. Wouldn't be surprised if they destroy the ozone layer and bring back DDT as well. It would be a literal hellscape.
Banning DDT was almost certainly a serious mistake. It has saved a few top predator species (particularly birds) from an uncertain level of harm, at the cost of perhaps millions of human lives.

But those humans weren't living in OECD countries, so nobody much cares.

https://www.bmj.com/content/322/7297/1270.5.full

Banning DDT was almost certainly a serious mistake. It has saved a few top predator species (particularly birds) from an uncertain level of harm, at the cost of perhaps millions of human lives.

I will have to read more, but everything else is still pretty bad lol.

They want to nuke NOAA because they dare to say things about climate that MAGA doesn't want said. I just found myself on the NOAA website--registering a personal locator beacon. (Basically, the minimal but most reliable backcountry 911.) The same system handles boat and aircraft beacons. Nuke NOAA and there goes the whole top level of search and rescue.
Trump likes people who don’t get lost.

I agree.
Small amounts of DDT, used appropriately can be extremely useful. Spraying it in clouds over big fields, not so much.
Such distinctions weren't made though.
It just got banned.
Tom

ETA ~this is quite a derail.~

Last edited:

I will have to read more, but everything else is still pretty bad lol.

I agree.
Small amounts of DDT, used appropriately can be extremely useful. Spraying it in clouds over big fields, not so much.
Such distinctions weren't made though.
It just got banned.
Tom

To be fair, the eventuality of it being used in extremely irresponsible ways is around 100%. It is also apocalyptic for OTHER kinds of insects, including bees.

If we could both have a logistics chain that produces it, and a regulatory structure that keeps it from being used as an agricultural or wide area insecticide, that would be great. I hear that DDT soaked mosquito nets are fantastic, however mosquitoes, just like bedbugs, promptly evolved a resistance to it anyway.

hear that DDT soaked mosquito nets are fantastic, however mosquitoes, just like bedbugs, promptly evolved a resistance to it anyway.
It was never as good as permethrin.
Permethrin is relatively safe, can be used to permeate clothing and lasts for months as an insecticide/repellent in some fabrics. (It has very low mammalian toxicity but is hell on fish, so should not be used such that it could find its way into waterways.)

• Project 2025, a collection of policy proposals “for an effective conservative administration,” outlines sweeping tax law and IRS changes.
  • The plan calls for a two-tier tax system, lower capital gains taxes, IRS budget cuts and scrutiny of tax reporting. By contrast, Trump hasn’t outlined detailed tax policy proposals.
  • Some Project 2025 plans could be enacted via executive action, but many tax policy proposals would require legislation, which could be difficult without Republican control of Congress.
Much more in the link.

Trump likes people who don’t get lost.
Actually, the people that own beacons tend to be the cautious ones that carry the means to get themselves unlost. I would say that most S&R falls into one of three groups:

1) People who didn't realize what they were getting into. Mostly novices but we see people from cooler climates who don't understand the threat the heat poses and I'm aware of one was from flatter terrain and didn't realize what a little bit of snow can do to a mountain trail.

2) People doing risky things.

3) Victims of misfortune of some kind. For example, a woman I've met that had a stone roll under her boot and she took a nasty tumble.

Is there a synopsis without me giving traffic to Twitter? I don’t interact with it and wish people would stop using it.

It's not like X is a spider that will bite. you. :rolleyes:

Questioning about how many times Trump's name is in the Project 2025 handbook. Questioning about internet access in Texas.

Back
Top Bottom