• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Proud Boys - what are they?

skepticalbip

Contributor
Searching for reality along the long and winding r
Basic Beliefs
Everything we know is wrong (to some degree)
That is a serious question. I have heard the news calling them "white supremacists" but I know nothing about the 'organization'. I just googled to see what they are and found that the chairman (Enrique Tarrio) is black and Cuban hispanic... that clicks two of the favored groups. Is the news media mis-characterizing this group? They do seem to oppose antifa (which is mostly whites). Does that make proud boys white supremacists in the minds of the media personalities?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZMWQDvZQZs[/youtube]

Here is their "former" leader brandishing a sword during a riot.

DSC00825.jpg

Basically, they are shit stirring little fuckwits who don't have the balls to take responsibility for their actions.
Incidentally, how the fuck do you not know about the proud boys? Gavin McInnes tried to recruit people in Australia and had his visa blocked two fucking years ago.

Basically, they are shit stirring little fuckwits who don't have the balls to take responsibility for their actions.
Incidentally, how the fuck do you not know about the proud boys? Gavin McInnes tried to recruit people in Australia and had his visa blocked

I'm not Australian and I had to google to find who Gavin McInnes was... turns out he is Canadian.

I will accept that they are right wing and prone to violence since you say they are but that doesn't mean "white supremacist". Blacks and hispanics can also be right wing and prone to violence... at least it certainly seems to be the case since the current leader is both black and hispanic.

I understand that the term "white supremacist" presses the right buttons for some people but wouldn't term "right wing group" be more accurate?

Mid life crisis of flagging virility channeled into excessive macho attitudes?

That is a serious question. I have heard the news calling them "white supremacists" but I know nothing about the 'organization'. I just googled to see what they are and found that the chairman (Enrique Tarrio) is black and Cuban hispanic... that clicks two of the favored groups. Is the news media mis-characterizing this group? They do seem to oppose antifa (which is mostly whites). Does that make proud boys white supremacists in the minds of the media personalities?
No, you didn't. If you'd googled them, the first thing you found would be the succinct, clearly stated sentence that begins their Wikipedia page:

"The Proud Boys are a far-right, white nationalist, and neo-fascist male-only organization that promotes and engages in political violence."

That sums up their role in national politics pretty well. It's probably more accurate to describe them as anti-Black than pro-White per se, but they explicitly deal in political violence against BLM and similar groups, and have both overlapping membership and institutional alliances with other white nationalist paramilitary groups.

No, you didn't. If you'd googled them, the first thing you found would be the succinct, clearly stated sentence that begins their Wikipedia page:

"The Proud Boys are a far-right, white nationalist, and neo-fascist male-only organization that promotes and engages in political violence."

That sums up their role in national politics pretty well.

Yet again you are pretending to be a mind reader. I haven't read the Wiki page because I find Wiki to be a poor source, often more opinion than fact.

Yet again you are pretending to be a mind reader. I haven't read the Wiki page because I find Wiki to be a poor source, often more opinion than fact.

Whereas propaganda pages written by terrorist cells about themselves are well-known sources of peer reviewed truth? :confused: Or what?

Whereas propaganda pages written by terrorist cells about themselves are well-known sources of peer reviewed truth? :confused: Or what?

Again the mystic "senses" what sources I read.

Incidentally, how the fuck do you not know about the proud boys? Gavin McInnes tried to recruit people in Australia and had his visa blocked

I'm not Australian and I had to google to find who Gavin McInnes was... turns out he is Canadian.

I will accept that they are right wing and prone to violence since you say they are but that doesn't mean "white supremacist".
Chris Wallace brought them up, not the left.

Southern Poverty Law Center work as a source?

Seems that they have erred so extremely far on the side of being against excessive victim mentality that even explaining how historical events ON AVERAGE have affected different groups is wrong in their opinion.

The difference between being a "little baby, girly victim" and having the understanding that MORE bad things happened to some groups is lost on them.

So, non white guys who for some reason seem to be built like brick shithouses in the case of the Proud Boys find the anti victim mentality refreshing.

Proud Boys, as I've known them in Canada, are a 'Western values' chauvinist movement longing for some bizarre return to a time where (cisgender, heterosexual) men were the workers and protectorate and women kept the home. The extent to which it is white supremacist or exclusively white seems to vary by chapter. My impression was that it was more nationalistic with anti-immigration views, and a fixation on preventing a perceived erosion of 'Western' culture and values. That often likely translates to a strong desire to keep Canada predominately white, though not necessarily exclusively so. They've been openly anti-Islam and, if memory serves, antisemitic. I can't imagine they are all too fond of any other religions outside of Christianity/ Catholicism. No clue where they stand on atheism/ agnosticism. There has been at least some antagonism toward the indigenous peoples of north America.

All round fucktards really, but they've been quieter in the past couple of years north of the border as far as I know.

This does not make that Proud Boys look good despite the intention of the editor.

Wikipedia has high standards equal to those of any decent journalistic source. AND they cite references with links that you can click and check for yourself, so you can't pretend Wikipedia itself is the main source of information you find there. When opinions or any unsourced info is entered on wikipedia by editors, it is flagged as needing a citation, indicating to readers that they should take that particular item with a grain of salt until citation is entered or the item is removed entirely.

After a bit of reading, I have to say, "damn that is a strange group". But then I don't enjoy fighting.

The best I can piece together is that Proud Boys is a militant anti-Antifa group that physically and strongly opposes Antifa's aims and tactics. Antifa's tactics is to 'occupy' an area and disrupt normal life often including intimidation, property destruction, and even assaults. The Proud Boys go to these 'occupations' to break them up and/or confront Antifa, generally leading to fights.

It seems that a solution could be to get both groups out of our cities so normal people can lead their lives. Put both groups in an arena and bring back the old Roman gladiatorial combat. Cities could even profit by charging admission to spectators who like to watch blood sport.

After a bit of reading, I have to say, "damn that is a strange group". But then I don't enjoy fighting.

The best I can piece together is that Proud Boys is a militant anti-Antifa group that physically and strongly opposes Antifa's aims and tactics. Antifa's tactics is to 'occupy' an area and disrupt normal life often including intimidation, property destruction, and even assaults. The Proud Boys go to these 'occupations' to break them up and/or confront Antifa, generally leading to fights.
That's the ticket! ;)

It seems that a solution could be to get both groups out of our cities so normal people can lead their lives. Put both groups in an arena and bring back the old Roman gladiatorial combat. Cities could even profit by charging admission to spectators who like to watch blood sport.

Yeah, we'll just pretend "both sides are the same."

They aren't overtly white supremacists, but they are right-wing reactionaries. Of course, white supremacism will sort of lurk in the shadows of such a movement.

Back
Top Bottom