• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Questions! Questions.

spikepipsqueak

My Brane Hertz
Basic Beliefs
Nil
Brace yourselves.

I intend to pick your brains until your eyes bleed.

I am planning an extended trip some months in the future, and keep running into things I don't know.

The only place I know I will be is California, to visit my son. It occurs to me that I use my Visa for everything, here. The only thing I pay cash for is table fees at bridge. I'm wondering if I will need to carry cash to pay for long haul bus trips and random food. I think the US is a much more cash based society? Assuming supermarkets will be OK with CCs?

Probably need the same questions answered with respect to outside the cities in the British Isles and western Europe.

Info?

I live in California and I use credit cards for virtually everything. I do try to carry some cash on me just in case but I basically never use it.

It's generally a good idea to have some cash on you anyway, in the event you lose your wallet. Get a good money-belt, wear it under your clothes, keep it safe.

You're fine with a credit card in the U.S. (and I would imagine anywhere with an internet connection), but in the U.S. credit card fraud is more of a thing because they sometimes take your card away from the table. It's rare, but it happens, although maybe uncommon in California.

Thank you both.

I am keen to avoid cash where possible because changing money for 8ish countries could start to get annoying. :)

I found that in the UK, many places that take Visa (and Visa Paywave) transactions with a PIN cannot process my Australian Visa cards in that way, and the equipment will instead demand a manual signature.

Some merchants refuse to allow this; If you don't have an alternative means of payment, you may have a long and frustrating delay before they either accept your card, or you have to abandon the attempt and leave without the goods you wanted to buy.

This happened to me at a servo in London (on the Old Kent Road) so it's not just a case of rural hicks who don't see many foreigners. Fortunately I had enough UK cash on me to pay for the fuel I had just put into my hire car.

This is the sort of thing that has been worrying me. I wonder if the bank can make my card more "international".

Also, I hope I can do something similar for the phone.

Just remember, Spikey, if you come to Arizona, you must pack heat, and loudly flaunt whatever Trump bling you possess, lest ye be hooted out.

This is the sort of thing that has been worrying me. I wonder if the bank can make my card more "international".

Also, I hope I can do something similar for the phone.
The issue isn't so much that the system doesn't work, but that retailers don't understand how it works, or that they are still expected to use signature verification instead of (or as well as) a PIN.

You could probably resolve the issue by having them ring their financial institution, but obviously that's only going to help during business hours. Most of the time I found that people were happy to accept my credit cards with the signature, but for those that are hesitant, canceling the transaction and using cash is often the quickest way.

Visa and Mastercard have very good exchange rates, so if you use an overseas EFTPOS or ATM, and it offers you the option to pay in AUD as an alternative to paying in the local currency, DON'T DO IT. Always choose to pay in the local currency, or withdraw cash denominated in the local currency. A lot of UK ATMs will try to persuade you to use AUD for the transaction, because they make a big commission on the foreign exchange process; It's always better to pay in pounds sterling, and let your card issuer do the exchange.

The Visa exchange rate is generally better than any bureau de change tourist rate, so I generally don't take pounds with me, but instead withdraw them from my debit card at an ATM in the UK.

But if you're using an ATM, be very wary of possible skimming devices, particularly in areas with lots of tourists.

Brace yourselves.

I intend to pick your brains until your eyes bleed.

I am planning an extended trip some months in the future, and keep running into things I don't know.

The only place I know I will be is California, to visit my son. It occurs to me that I use my Visa for everything, here. The only thing I pay cash for is table fees at bridge. I'm wondering if I will need to carry cash to pay for long haul bus trips and random food. I think the US is a much more cash based society? Assuming supermarkets will be OK with CCs?

Probably need the same questions answered with respect to outside the cities in the British Isles and western Europe.

Info?

It has been a long time since I travelled. I have heard horror stories of CC companies locking credit card accounts on travellers for stupid reasons. So maybe having 2 credit cards might be a good idea. Sometimes CC companies think an account getting charged in varied locations might be fraud. Long ago, I used to carry some traveller's checks. I haven't heard how well these are honored at hotels et al today. A small around-the-necket wallet is a safer way to carry money and ID for travelling.

Travellers Cheques are an utterly pointless waste of effort and time, in the twenty first century. They are only worth considering if you plan to travel to the 1980s or earlier. Very few places will cash them anymore, and typically the exchange rates are distinctly worse than you get from the major credit card companies. Credit cards nowadays have all the same benefits that Travellers Cheques offer, but far fewer of the drawbacks.

It's essential to advise your financial institution(s) of your plan to travel overseas, if you're going to use any cards issued by them during your trip. Most Australian banks, building societies, and credit unions will not allow overseas in-person (card present) transactions at all without prior notice from the cardholder. The only transactions outside Australia that are routinely allowed are 'card not present' transactions, which basically means Internet purchases, validated with a CVC.

Some credit cards also provide unexpected benefits for travellers - for example, my Visa Platinum card from Heritage Bank gives me automatic free travel insurance when I buy airline tickets using that card.

I think you should contact your credit card company to alert them that you will be traveling, approximate times and whatever range of places you think you will be visiting. This should help you avoid any delays in processing payment. Also: ASK them if they have any suggestions or advice.

Credit cards or debit cards are the most frequently used method of payment these days. My kids (and most of the world) think I'm hopelessly oldfashioned for writing checks. I do it because it's still accepted in my small town, and the transaction fees are less for the merchants compared with credit cards or debit cards. I also tend to pay in cash when eating out but that's probably not practical for traveling for some weeks. Other than that, I usually just have a little cash for paying for very small purchases or at the farmer's market.

Others can advise you the best way to deal with your phone when traveling overseas.

Enjoy your trip! And if you find you are going to be in the Upper Midwest, let me know!

Bring multiple credit cards--losing access to a card can be quite a headache! Mostly use credit cards but bring some cash for odds and ends as you will occasionally hit situations where credit cards won't work. As someone who ventures into the wilderness this is more common for me--fee stations at lesser places often can't take cards.

I think you should contact your credit card company to alert them that you will be traveling, approximate times and whatever range of places you think you will be visiting. This should help you avoid any delays in processing payment. Also: ASK them if they have any suggestions or advice.

Credit cards or debit cards are the most frequently used method of payment these days. My kids (and most of the world) think I'm hopelessly oldfashioned for writing checks. I do it because it's still accepted in my small town, and the transaction fees are less for the merchants compared with credit cards or debit cards. I also tend to pay in cash when eating out but that's probably not practical for traveling for some weeks. Other than that, I usually just have a little cash for paying for very small purchases or at the farmer's market.

Others can advise you the best way to deal with your phone when traveling overseas.

Enjoy your trip! And if you find you are going to be in the Upper Midwest, let me know!
:) Thanks it would be lovely to meet, but I don't think I'll see the interior of America at all.

So far, this is what I have. (From what I can see a lot can go wrong, and then the rest will snowball. I haven't booked anything because I haven't even got a passport yet.)

Fly to California to see my son. Bus from San Diego to L.A. possibly swinging inland if there are a few days spare. Cruise down the west, through the Panama Canal and up the east. Across the Atlantic to Barcelona. Train to Paris. Chunnel to London. Train to Liverpool. Ferry to Dublin. All of that stopping occasionally to "smell the roses".

By that time, if I'm not exhausted and keen for my own bed, I'll do things on an opportunistic basis but I suspect I will want to go home and see if all of my garden is dead or devoured by kangaroos and rabbits.

I'm really starting to look forward to this. It will be my first holiday since a week in the N.T. in 2013, and that was the first since a week in Tassie in 1996. The only places I've been overseas are China and PNG, and that was before dinosaurs roamed the Earth.

I am somewhat comfortable in my own space, but will be really pissed off if anything happens to prevent this. :)

:) Thanks it would be lovely to meet, but I don't think I'll see the interior of America at all.

So far, this is what I have. (From what I can see a lot can go wrong, and then the rest will snowball. I haven't booked anything because I haven't even got a passport yet.)

Fly to California to see my son. Bus from San Diego to L.A. possibly swinging inland if there are a few days spare. Cruise down the west, through the Panama Canal and up the east. Across the Atlantic to Barcelona. Train to Paris. Chunnel to London. Train to Liverpool. Ferry to Dublin. All of that stopping occasionally to "smell the roses".

By that time, if I'm not exhausted and keen for my own bed, I'll do things on an opportunistic basis but I suspect I will want to go home and see if all of my garden is dead or devoured by kangaroos and rabbits.

I'm really starting to look forward to this. It will be my first holiday since a week in the N.T. in 2013, and that was the first since a week in Tassie in 1996. The only places I've been overseas are China and PNG, and that was before dinosaurs roamed the Earth.

I am somewhat comfortable in my own space, but will be really pissed off if anything happens to prevent this. :)
That sounds like a really wonderful trip! I hope you get to do everything you are dreaming!

Almost every place in the US takes credit cards, including supermarkets, restaurants etc, and as Toni suggested, you can tell your credit card company that you will be traveling to avoid any problems. When we used to travel or even if we purchased something unusual, Discover sometimes notified us to make sure that we were the users of our credit card. While we also have another credit card, we like Discover the best due to its generous cash back program. I think Visa has a similar program now, if I'm not mistaken.

We don't use debit cards as you may be liable for whatever someone spends on your card if its lost or stolen. Most credit cards never make you responsible for more than about 25 dollars if its lost or stolen. We've had credit cards stolen twice, probably online. Discover never made us pay a cent for the charges, but in both cases, the charges were suspicious so Discover notified us and then gave us a new card within days. One time, Macy's called me to verify if I had purchased over 400 dollars worth of clothing to be sent to a different address. I told them to cancel the order and then I notified Discover. Another time someone tried to buy an Apple phone with our card. Again, we were asked if we ordered it. The order was canceled and we got a new card. My point is that it's pretty safe to use credit cards most anywhere. Just keep tract of what you charge. But, it is a good idea to have a second one, just in case.

Hope you have a wonderful time with your son as well as a safe trip.

Sounds totally awesome. {{{jealous}}}

Beware that busses in the US tend to have rather seedy clientele as they are generally not competitive with airplanes on high traffic routes once you consider time. For this particular trip that might not be the case (the overhead time of the plane is higher) but it is something to be aware of. Typically, buses are for people going to little places (which is inherently low volume) or people after a rock-bottom price who don't care about time--and even then food costs can easily make the airplane the better deal.

Almost every place in the US takes credit cards, including supermarkets, restaurants etc, and as Toni suggested, you can tell your credit card company that you will be traveling to avoid any problems. When we used to travel or even if we purchased something unusual, Discover sometimes notified us to make sure that we were the users of our credit card. While we also have another credit card, we like Discover the best due to its generous cash back program. I think Visa has a similar program now, if I'm not mistaken.

We don't use debit cards as you may be liable for whatever someone spends on your card if its lost or stolen. Most credit cards never make you responsible for more than about 25 dollars if its lost or stolen. We've had credit cards stolen twice, probably online. Discover never made us pay a cent for the charges, but in both cases, the charges were suspicious so Discover notified us and then gave us a new card within days. One time, Macy's called me to verify if I had purchased over 400 dollars worth of clothing to be sent to a different address. I told them to cancel the order and then I notified Discover. Another time someone tried to buy an Apple phone with our card. Again, we were asked if we ordered it. The order was canceled and we got a new card. My point is that it's pretty safe to use credit cards most anywhere. Just keep tract of what you charge. But, it is a good idea to have a second one, just in case.

Hope you have a wonderful time with your son as well as a safe trip.

:D I've bought cars on my Visa, in emergencies, and gotten calls from the bank to ask if it was me. I like that they keep an eye out. Did that recently and heard nothing. Don't know if they keep notes going back 20 years, or they don't care any more.

Beware that busses in the US tend to have rather seedy clientele as they are generally not competitive with airplanes on high traffic routes once you consider time. For this particular trip that might not be the case (the overhead time of the plane is higher) but it is something to be aware of. Typically, buses are for people going to little places (which is inherently low volume) or people after a rock-bottom price who don't care about time--and even then food costs can easily make the airplane the better deal.
I want to see at least something of the country. San Diego - L.A. is unlikely to be representative, but I'll see a little bit, and maybe get to talk to some people on the bus.

Do bus tickets let you get off and complete the journey a day later? I've wondered if I'd be better to hire a car, but you people drive on the wrong side of the road, and I am a creature of habit. :D I'd like to see some countryside, but not from 1" away.

It really does depend on the bus line/location.

Beware that busses in the US tend to have rather seedy clientele as they are generally not competitive with airplanes on high traffic routes once you consider time.
Greyhound is the most comprehensive bus line, but the one where you are probably most likely to encounter seediness. Look for other, perhaps more expensive lines. Where I live there is a line called Mega Bus which is cut above Greyhound, but I don't believe they are in California yet.

An alternative is rail, believe it or not. Passenger trains in the U.S. operate under the name Amtrak, and according to the internet there is regular service from San Diego to LA.

I don't know about getting on and off busses.

Back
Top Bottom