• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Racism explained

fast

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Christian
So, there I was, sitting on my back porch when all of a sudden, a small spaceship crash landed in my back yard. Out came (can you believe it?) an alien. She (OMG), she was drunk as drunk can be! Anyhoots, I invited her in (afterall, I was half tight myself), and we talked and talked for better than half the night. Come to find out, she was a scientist, although that's not the exact term she used, and she had recently been investigating a phenomena (from another planet in a distant galaxy) that I can only describe as racism ... and ... she decided to share with me her findings.

Understand, however, that I am not attempting to explain racism as we see racism here on Earth. I'm just trying to explain the underlying racism as seen through her eyes. It's probably not applicable here, but it did strike me as at least possible that racism here might not be as it meets the eye.

There were two races on the planet. The skin color of the people were very similar as here on Earth, and to keep the story half way comprehensible, I'm just going to refer to them as white and black. What's very interesting is that racism there wasn't based on skin color. Now, let me stop right there. Actually, it was believed by everyone that skin color was the most relevant factor, that was until the glasses were introduced.

This can get a little complex, so let me cut to the chase and explain that many many people had a halo (that's the only way I can describe it) above their heads that absolutely no one could see, that is no one except for those from her species. See, she (and those like her) could see certain light spectrums (kind of like how some animals on our planet can see what we can't see). No one else could see them, but she noticed (and it was quite noticeable) that the vast majority of black people had this halo.

The vast majority of people with no halo seemed to display varying degrees of prejudice tendencies towards those with halos. Now, not every black had a halo, and there were some whites with halos. Several full scale studies showed that halos were contagious, however, it was extremely difficult to contract a halo, just as difficult it was to lose one's halo. What they believe (her and scientists that also participated in their observations) was that over time, more and more whites gained halos while more and more blacks lost theirs, but because the contagious factor was small, 88 percent of whites were still halo free while 95 percent of blacks still had halos intact.

Those percentages are important. If no one can see or otherwise knowingly sense the halo, and if people are prejudice towards only those with halos, and since it makes absolutely no sense to be prejudice against others because of skin color, then the inescapable conclusion is that racism wasn't based on what they thought it was based on. It's no wonder the planet residents thought it was about skin color since that was the seemingly obvious reason, but once the special glasses were introduced and people could actually see the halos, everyone could then see that the source of contention wasn't from what they once could only see but from what they can now see.

The most moving aspect of this story for me was how incredibly shocked they must have been to suddenly learn that even the most seemingly obvious beliefs can be quickly turned topsy-turvy. It's astonishing how easy our views can change once we learn the truth. Take us for example. If someone makes a racist remark against a black person, what seems to be the case is that their skin color was a factor, but if things are not as they seem, then could it be (moreover, could it be likely and even highly plausible) that there is something else other than what we can see--something other than skin color that is the real driving machine behind the prejudices in the world around us?

Without seeing the true source that spawns racism, I would expect that people would claim that it's skin color, as what else is the contention related to if not skin color. And that's just it, what IS the unseen connection?

Sure, we can talk about how it's learned behavior and all the other things that social scientists come up with, but after listening to her story, I had to be a little inquisitive and wonder what if there is something else about blacks (like the halo or some other phenomena underlying our consciousness only perceptible to our subconscious--maybe a trait or disposition we have no term for). We clearly can't identify it, and there's no way it's skin color.

Well, I don't think we have halos like that here on Earth, but we never really got to discuss the matter. We kept drinking, and after a few smiles, she had to leave. Um, more than a few, but that's really not an important aspect of the story.

If the alien psychology was much like human psychology, I would expect that the group us-vs-them mentality ("racism" is a misleading word) would be driven by the most observably obvious traits of division. Before the glasses, skin color differences would be the most obvious source of division. After the glasses, maybe the halo would be the most obvious source of division, and new us-vs-them division would exist along a different dividing line. Among humans, the instinct for group divisions would be rooted in differences even when skin color is the same: different styles of dress, different manner of speaking, different jewelry. Our ancestors lived in tribes, and, if you did not have sympathy with your own tribe and antipathy toward other tribes, you were likely to be kicked out of your tribe or killed. Even subtle differences were enough to underlie the group us-vs-them mentality, but, among human races, differences are stark, not just in skin color, but also in every manner of appearance and behavior. For that reason, I think, the racial us-vs-them mentality is still as salient as ever, even if the "racism" is reduced.

If the alien psychology was much like human psychology, I would expect that the group us-vs-them mentality ("racism" is a misleading word) would be driven by the most observably obvious traits of division. Before the glasses, skin color differences would be the most obvious source of division. After the glasses, maybe the halo would be the most obvious source of division, and new us-vs-them division would exist along a different dividing line. Among humans, the instinct for group divisions would be rooted in differences even when skin color is the same: different styles of dress, different manner of speaking, different jewelry. Our ancestors lived in tribes, and, if you did not have sympathy with your own tribe and antipathy toward other tribes, you were likely to be kicked out of your tribe or killed. Even subtle differences were enough to underlie the group us-vs-them mentality, but, among human races, differences are stark, not just in skin color, but also in every manner of appearance and behavior. For that reason, I think, the racial us-vs-them mentality is still as salient as ever, even if the "racism" is reduced.
After reading this a few times, I find it to be illuminating. Thank you.

B.) What the hell did I just make an attempt to read?

I'm white, but that other person standing over in the corner isn't--he's black. So, in at least one way, that person isn't like me. He's different. These other people now standing by me are white, so in that way, these people are like me, while that guy and those now huddled around him (the other black people that came in) are are like him, in that one way being discussed, skin color.

The difference cited so far is skin color, and skin color seems to be a readily identifiable difference between our races, but there other differences between us, but even though there are other differences between us, not every difference is necessarily a racial difference; however, there may be other non skin color differences endemic of our actual races. Of course, not every racial difference endemic of a race will apply to every member of a race. For instance, consider a particular subtle mannerism that despite being subtle is nevertheless prevalent among a substantial portion of a select subset of blacks in a given area ... and rare or mostly among white people of the same given area.

If we pick up on the mannerism and are taken back by it, one might be inclined to make a racist remark, but instead of explicitly identifying the mannerism or behavior and commenting on that, skin color is spoken of, not because people have a particular issue with that obvious difference between us but because of association. That's very misleading! It makes it sound like people have a problem with black people because of their skin color.

Back
Top Bottom