• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Republican Secretary of State in Washington has resigned

Copernicus

Industrial Grade Linguist
Basic Beliefs
Atheist humanist
I voted against electing this Republican, Kim Wyman, for Secretary of State, because I did not want a Republican to run the election machinery in our state. To be fair, she has been a fair election official, and she even defended our all-mail voting system against Trump's lies in 2020. To be even fairer, it was Republicans who spearheaded the change to all-mail voting, and that system has both increased public turnout, but it is regarded as one of the most secure in the country. So I am happy to see her resign, especially since she will be joining the Biden administration as a chief of election security, and Democratic Governor Inslee will likely replace her with a Democrat. Nevertheless, a replacement will be elected in the next general election to finish out her term until 2024. Secretary of State was the last statewide office held by a Republican in Washington.

Source: Washington Secretary of State Kim Wyman resigns to take election-security post in Biden administration

It will be interesting to see what future, if any, she has in the Trumpublican Party, but she is among the small number of moderate Republicans who have joined with Democrats to oppose the right wing attacks on American democracy.

She's probably safer in a Federal job in DC. Lots of Secretaries of State, especially in states that were blue in 2020, have been getting tons of death threats from the cult of Trump. Secretaries of state used have fairly dull bureaucratic jobs so they don't have the budget for the security details they now need. (LINK)

Back
Top Bottom