• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Republicans Drop Opposition to Birth Control Pills

Neat. Could the repubs be THAT transparent and hypocritical? I guess so in these times...

Neat. Could the repubs be THAT transparent and hypocritical?
Oh, I'm sure they'll be just as bitchy about male reproductive rights in the end. Demand a prostate exam as part of applying for every prescription refill, using an ultrasound wand...

Oh, I'm sure they'll be just as bitchy about male reproductive rights in the end. Demand a prostate exam as part of applying for every prescription refill, using an ultrasound wand...

Is that demanded when women request BC pills?

Women don't have prostates, so: no. However, women are required to do a general exam and a pelvic exam which is quite a bit more invasive than a digital rectal exam. Depending on the thoroughness of the examiner and other factors, you can be probed vaginally with a speculum and get a digital rectal exam. You might also be lucky enough to have uterine polyps which might require a nice probing with an ultrasound wand.

Here's an image of a speculum:

stock-photo-doctor-holds-a-disposable-speculum-in-his-hand-324511829.jpeg

Got any place you'd like opened up with that thing? Me, neither, yet....it's just part of women's health care. Don't even get me started on how wonderful it is to have a mammogram---although the digital ones are much less uncomfortable.

Women don't have prostates, so: no. However, women are required to do a general exam and a pelvic exam which is quite a bit more invasive than a digital rectal exam. Depending on the thoroughness of the examiner and other factors, you can be probed vaginally with a speculum and get a digital rectal exam. You might also be lucky enough to have uterine polyps which might require a nice probing with an ultrasound wand.

The point is - if a woman requests BC pills, do they have to go through that invasive of a procedure? Yeah, there are plenty of uncomfortable procedures that women go through that men don't, and more than a few men go through that women don't, because the anatomy isn't the same. The question was about the requirement to purchase BC pills.

The point is - if a woman requests BC pills, do they have to go through that invasive of a procedure? Yeah, there are plenty of uncomfortable procedures that women go through that men don't, and more than a few men go through that women don't, because the anatomy isn't the same. The question was about the requirement to purchase BC pills.

YES. And the procedures for women are MUCH more invasive, take longer and are more expensive.

It is is mandatory, routine and part of the usual exam. Part of the REQUIRED exam is performed using that lovely instrument called a speculum, depicted in the image I posted, as is having your cervix scraped, your breasts examined/palpated, intimate questions asked, and generally at least a finger up the rectum. The speculum is inserted in the vagina to allow better access for visual examination and the scraping needed to secure cells for the PAP smear, and to look for signs of infection or disease. The patient is on her back on the exam table, undressed from the waist down or perhaps also from the waist up, with a paper gown for modesty. Her buttocks are at the edge of the exam table and her feet are in stirrups, allowing better access for the examiner. Please note the size of the speculum relative to the model's hand. The image is of a CLOSED speculum. The speculum is inserted into the vagina and then OPENED UP--the lever looking things are spread open. INSIDE THE VAGINA. Sometimes the examiner makes an effort to warm the cold steel of speculum first, but not always.

I see this as at least as invasive as a prostate exam.

Sorry if that was unclear from my previous post.

How is it possible that you don't know the answer to that?

Hmm. I do hope they're successful in making a male contraceptive pill. Sounds a lot less unpleasant than having Vasalgel injected into vas deferens on each side.

Heh. One of my bosses from years ago used to be quite jealous of his wife's visits to the gynecologist. Yes: I got to hear ALL about it. And to try to explain that it was not romantic or sexually stimulating at all. At least, not for her. And tried not to let it show on my face that inside, I was wondering if maybe it wasn't more fun for her than sex with her husband. Because, maybe it was.

Heh. One of my bosses from years ago used to be quite jealous of his wife's visits to the gynecologist. Yes: I got to hear ALL about it. And to try to explain that it was not romantic or sexually stimulating at all. At least, not for her. And tried not to let it show on my face that inside, I was wondering if maybe it wasn't more fun for her than sex with her husband. Because, maybe it was.

:lol: If your husband is that simple minded, I imagine it would be.

:lol: If your husband is that simple minded, I imagine it would be.

I was thinking ignorant and inept. But then, I knew the guy.

Oh, they divorced a short while after.

Calm down and I'll make my previous post clear.

It looks like you are describing a standard Ob appointment to make sure the *ahem* equipment is healthy. As in any woman going in for an Ob appointment goes through that whether or not asking for pills.

My question was "Is there something special extra above-and-beyond that a woman has to go through if she wants BC pills?"

Do women get the speculum if they are getting a standard OB exam, or ONLY IF THEY ARE ASKING FOR BC PILLS? And what about the ultrasound wand that Keith mentioned that prompted my original reply?

Woman: Doctor, I'm here for my OB exam.
Doctor: Okay, I'll take your blood pressure and temperature.
Woman: I also want BC pills.
Doctor: Okay, I'll get out the speculum.

Calm down and I'll make my previous post clear.

It looks like you are describing a standard Ob appointment to make sure the *ahem* equipment is healthy. As in any woman going in for an Ob appointment goes through that whether or not asking for pills.

My question was "Is there something special extra above-and-beyond that a woman has to go through if she wants BC pills?"

Do women get the speculum if they are getting a standard OB exam, or ONLY IF THEY ARE ASKING FOR BC PILLS? And what about the ultrasound wand that Keith mentioned that prompted my original reply?

Woman: Doctor, I'm here for my OB exam.
Doctor: Okay, I'll take your blood pressure and temperature.
Woman: I also want BC pills.
Doctor: Okay, I'll get out the speculum.

If a woman is asking for any form of birth control requiring a prescription, she will be given a pelvic exam (see my previous post for the details). This is normally part of a regular yearly exam for women regardless of what kind, if any, birth control is used, at least up until menopause. In fact, for years, a woman could designate her gyno as her primary care physician.

Any sexually active woman should have a yearly pelvic exam, regardless of her need for birth control. Say she's had a tubal ligation: she still gets the pelvic exam.

Some women have separate physicals by non-gynos and may or may not have a pelvic exam as part of that. But for a prescription for birth control of any type requiring a prescription, yes, she will be asked to submit for a pelvic exam unless, perhaps one was performed recently (as in less than 6 months). The other thing that is checked is to see if she's actually pregnant.

It lowers testosterone. I doubt the side effects will be acceptable.

And I disagree with the OP--it's still non-biblical.

It lowers testosterone. I doubt the side effects will be acceptable.

And I disagree with the OP--it's still non-biblical.

It's an early study, but...

"Despite having low levels of circulating testosterone, very few subjects reported symptoms consistent with testosterone deficiency or excess," Page said. "These promising results are unprecedented in the development of a prototype male pill. Longer term studies are currently underway to confirm that DMAU taken every day blocks sperm production."

I'm a feminazi so I'm hoping it works to feminize men. If so, I will support legislation to require all men to take it starting at age 13 or so.

If a woman is asking for any form of birth control requiring a prescription, she will be given a pelvic exam (see my previous post for the details). This is normally part of a regular yearly exam for women regardless of what kind, if any, birth control is used, at least up until menopause. In fact, for years, a woman could designate her gyno as her primary care physician.

Any sexually active woman should have a yearly pelvic exam, regardless of her need for birth control. Say she's had a tubal ligation: she still gets the pelvic exam.

Some women have separate physicals by non-gynos and may or may not have a pelvic exam as part of that. But for a prescription for birth control of any type requiring a prescription, yes, she will be asked to submit for a pelvic exam unless, perhaps one was performed recently (as in less than 6 months). The other thing that is checked is to see if she's actually pregnant.
Presumably you are talking about women in the US. In Australia it is entirely up to the woman to decide if she wants to have a PAP smear, pelvic examination, ultrasound test or a mammogram done. None of them are prerequisites for getting the pill. Apparently, there are some doctors around who insist on performing at least some of those before writing out a prescription, but there is no law requiring any of them, so it is easy to walk out and see a doctor who does not insist.

Here's an image of a speculum:

View attachment 15026

Got any place you'd like opened up with that thing? Me, neither, yet....it's just part of women's health care. Don't even get me started on how wonderful it is to have a mammogram---although the digital ones are much less uncomfortable.

Heart goes out to you ladies. Birth control and Prophylactics should be freely available to the public. It's one of the best ways to avoid the so scourge of "Poor people having children and then fucking up their lives forever." that re-pubs like to complain about. Except no because if there's one thing republicans hate more than anything else, it's liberal sex in a consequence free environment.

Back
Top Bottom