• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Republicans to Cruz:

Elixir

Made in America
Basic Beliefs
English is complicated
Do NOT vote your conscience!

Many a republican panty got in a wad when Cruz made the outlandish implication that instead of genuflecting before teh Donald, people might want to consult their conscience. Could be the thing most remembered about this convention.

Cruz took the pledge to support the nominee. Being the ass he is, he reneged on that pledge.

Btw, how would the Democrats feel if Bernie refused to endorse Hillary and instead told the convention to "vote their conscience" instead? I doubt it would go over too well with the DNC.

Cruz took the pledge to support the nominee. Being the ass he is, he reneged on that pledge.

Btw, how would the Democrats feel if Bernie refused to endorse Hillary and instead told the convention to "vote their conscience" instead? I doubt it would go over too well with the DNC.

But Bernie wouldn't do that because he's not the slimy glob of rat-spunk that Cruz is.

Were the rubes right to be angry?

Sure. But that doesn't mean it wasn't part of the ongoing, Inarticulate Ragefest '16 in Bizarro Land that's the RNC. It was just another moment of insanity in a string of insane occurrences.

Curious, who the heck are they supposed to vote for if they are voting via their conscience?

The whole thing was orchestrated. Trump made a deal with Cruz to avoid a floor fight involving Cruz delegates in exchange for Cruz speaking in a prime time slot. Trump timed his entrance into the convention purposely to divert attention away from Cruz, knowing he wasn't going to get an endorsement.

Politically, Cruz missed a golden opportunity-a similar situation happened in 1976 when Ford gave Reagan a prime time slot to avoid a floor fight. Reagan gave a great unifying speech that cemented his leadership in the party for 1980. I don't see where Cruz will get anything out of this.

The whole thing was orchestrated. Trump made a deal with Cruz to avoid a floor fight involving Cruz delegates in exchange for Cruz speaking in a prime time slot. Trump timed his entrance into the convention purposely to divert attention away from Cruz, knowing he wasn't going to get an endorsement.

Politically, Cruz missed a golden opportunity-a similar situation happened in 1976 when Ford gave Reagan a prime time slot to avoid a floor fight. Reagan gave a great unifying speech that cemented his leadership in the party for 1980. I don't see where Cruz will get anything out of this.
Cruz isn't liked in general by his own party, and this is the main reason why. Incredible he was pick #2 of the Republican Party electorate!

Cruz isn't liked in general by his own party, and this is the main reason why. Incredible he was pick #2 of the Republican Party electorate!

Yeah, I've always maintained he would be worse than Trump. He's creepy.

Politically, Cruz missed a golden opportunity-a similar situation happened in 1976 when Ford gave Reagan a prime time slot to avoid a floor fight. Reagan gave a great unifying speech that cemented his leadership in the party for 1980.

538 just made a nifty short documentary on that event. I imagine it's one of those situations where Ford thought he was offering a nice conciliatory gesture to Reagan and it blew up in his face.

Quick - call the WAAAAAambulance!
How would YOU feel if that happened, Derec? I bet you'd have threads about it all over the forum. :) :)
But don't worry - teh Donald will make it all better for you. In fact he'll make it Grrrreat! (plagiarized from Tony the Tiger) :)

Agreed. He comes across as a slimy used car salesman. And he is an ultra religious nutter too.

As much a I dislike Cruz, at least he stood for one of his convictions. Walker dropped out so that others would join him in defeating Trump, citing him as dangerous. Endorsement. Christy, Rubio, most of the others accused Trump of being dangerously unqualified, even stating he shouldn't be allowed near the nuclear codes. Yet, here thay are, endorsing this man. This isn't a case of endorsing after saying a few harsh statements on the campaign trail. This is a case of saying Trump is actually dangerous for the country, partially out of his ignorance, partially because of his authoritarianism and fascist tendencies. Yet, here they stand, somehow saying he's at least better than Hillary?! Hillary could actually be everything Republicans accuse her of being and she would still be much more qualified than Trump.

If someone of such sheer incompetence ran as a democrat, I couldn't support him or her in the name of party unity. Do none of these people have ANY principles? The base of the Republican party I can at least partially understand, they're low info voters, and thus don't really have a grasp of what they're doing in making Trump their nominee. The other nominees DO know better though.

I don't understand how anyone of any intelligence and ethics can still be a Republican. Party shouldn't come before country. quite the opposite, in fact. Disgusting.

Agreed. He comes across as a slimy used car salesman. And he is an ultra religious nutter too.
He was born in Canada.

- - - Updated - - -

We know how Democrats felt because Bernie took his sweet time saying he would vote for Hillary. So what?

Heh. Ted Cruz thinks that Republicans have consciences. He so stupid.
True. But if he'd said "You're a bunch of selfish, deceitful, ignorant, anti-intellectual racists, and I love you all," that would have been better.

Cruz is counting on Trump losing so Cruz can say "told you so" for 2020.

As to 'the pledge' - yeah Cruz pledged and reneged. Cruz is an evil slime bucket with the amazing distinction of being the.most.hated person in Congress... ever. Why is anyone shocked?

That said, the GOP got what they had coming with that one. They created the asinine 'pledge' as a 'gotcha' for Donald Trump, never imagining in their wildest nightmares that Trump would actually be the nominee.

As for Trump, he claims he read Cruz's speech 2 hours prior to Cruz taking the stage, and let him go on anyway. Trump completely orchestrated what happened. Trump may be a lousy businessman, lousy husband and lousy human being - but his ability to manipulate events to his benefit is without compare. I would not be the least bit surprised to learn he had people planted in the audience to start the boo-ing. He wasn't just accidently waiting in the wings to step out to take the lime-light. He totally played Cruz.

Still agree on that point, too. He's beyond creepy.

Unfortunately, Pence (who would actually be running the country if Trump were elected) is just as much of a religious nutter as Cruz. He just doesn't come across like the spawn of Satan like Cruz does.

As much a I dislike Cruz, at least he stood for one of his convictions.
No he didn't. That's what he hopes everyone thinks after Trump loses, but Cruz only stands for Cruz. He is just like Trump in that regard. Maybe worse, since he thinks he is on a mission from god.

Walker dropped out so that others would join him in defeating Trump, citing him as dangerous. Endorsement. Christy, Rubio, most of the others accused Trump of being dangerously unqualified, even stating he shouldn't be allowed near the nuclear codes. Yet, here thay are, endorsing this man. This isn't a case of endorsing after saying a few harsh statements on the campaign trail. This is a case of saying Trump is actually dangerous for the country, partially out of his ignorance, partially because of his authoritarianism and fascist tendencies. Yet, here they stand, somehow saying he's at least better than Hillary?! Hillary could actually be everything Republicans accuse her of being and she would still be much more qualified than Trump.

If someone of such sheer incompetence ran as a democrat, I couldn't support him or her in the name of party unity. Do none of these people have ANY principles? The base of the Republican party I can at least partially understand, they're low info voters, and thus don't really have a grasp of what they're doing in making Trump their nominee. The other nominees DO know better though.

I don't understand how anyone of any intelligence and ethics can still be a Republican. Party shouldn't come before country. quite the opposite, in fact. Disgusting.

Yeah don't vote for your conscience. If that happened, we wouldn't be getting fine upstanding gentlemen like Trump. Who would want to live in a world like that?

Back
Top Bottom