• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Resistance weight-lifiting improves memory in humans

Perspicuo

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Empiricist, ergo agnostic
Short weight-lifting sessions can improve your memory
http://www.sciencealert.com.au/news/20140610-26289.html

A study led by the Georgia Institute of Technology in the US has found that just one short burst of weight-lifting can enhance the long-term memory of young adults by around 10 percent.

Previous research had already established the fact that exercise can improve memory, but many have focussed on regular sessions of aerobic exercise, such as running.

This new research instead looked at the effect of just one weight-lifting session, two days before a memory test. And in contrast to previous studies, the researchers asked participants to memorise information before they worked out, rather than afterwards. This was in response to recent research in animals that suggests putting the body under stress in the period after learning can help lock in memories.

My own unscientific collection of data does not conform to these findings, but without a proper control group, it's difficult to make a conclusion. My memory might be worse without the workouts.

What I really need is something to boost my memory before the workout, so I will remember to load the coffee maker and set my alarm for 5am.

Reading what you said my first thought was to recommend you keep coffee bean sacks at the far end of your home and use a granddad clock to wake up. No, Inner Child, no, stay put and play with your legos while I take care of adult business.
:)

Back
Top Bottom