• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

RIP Hank Aaron

He was 86, so he did he well. The only time I saw him "play" was watching Home Run Derby on ESPN (2?). He apparently went 6-1 on the show. MLB's homerun king, even if not technically the top spot holder.

He'll be missed.

He was a great guy and a beloved figure from my childhood. When he was closing in on the home run record, I remember the whole country was completely abuzz. It was a really huge deal. I do recall some rumblings from some racist idiots who were upset that a black man was going to break the record, but the vast majority were completely on edge and stoked.

I remember my neighborhood friend (we were 13 at the time) wrote an essay for an English class shortly before he broke the record, wherein Hank Aaron hits the tie breaking home run and gets shot while he's rounding third base, and crawls and slithers to the home plate, where he passes out and dies. So, he still beats the HR record. A rather dramatic essay, but I don't think he considered the shooting as race based...just a crazy person. Still somewhat pointless and a bit disturbing. Kids ...whattaya gonna do?!

Back
Top Bottom