• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

RIP Mike S Adams Another #Cancel_Culture head on a stake

Lion IRC

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Biblical theist
Pro life champion. https://twitter.com/mikesadams?lang=en

Defender of free speech and free thought. - https://townhall.com/columnists/mikeadams/

"...a man who faced an avalanche of unjust hatred in his life, who had to fight for years to vindicate his most basic constitutional rights, and who helped mentor thousands of young conservative Christian students who often feel isolated and alone on secular and progressive campuses."

https://frenchpress.thedispatch.com/p/a-eulogy-for-a-friend-a-lament-for
Eulogy

140521_EDU_MikeAdamsProff.jpg.CROP_.original-original.jpg

Reactions: WAB
Are you saying he killed himself because of cancel culture?

Reading through the stories about his tweets, I didn't find anything so offensive except maybe the "massa Cooper" one, mostly just typical and boring right wing nutjobbery and political opinion.

Oh, just saw his article about the student which I would consider a violation against his school.

I have never heard of Adams before, but I read the eulogy prepared by David French. A few things jumped out at me:

young conservative Christian students who often feel isolated and alone on secular and progressive campuses

Really? In a college campus in North Carolina? Admittedly, it has been a long time since I went to school at Auburn and Georgia Tech, but I have a very hard time seeing conservative Christians as any kind of isolated minority on a southern campus. At Auburn particularly, you couldn't go to Langdon to watch the Friday night movie, or attend an event at Foy without being besieged by Christian evangelicals peddling their ideology at the doors.

Mike was energized. He gained a broader platform. He worked to pass legislation that protected free speech and due process on campus. He set aside remarkable amounts of time for young students—inspiring them to hold on to their faith in the face of adversity. He spent summer after summer as a teacher at Summit Ministries, mentoring Christian kids. He also kept writing. He also kept tweeting. And, yes, he kept being provocative. Sometimes he was acerbic.

Mr Adams was doing all these faith-based activities during normal working hours while being paid by public monies? When did he do the job he was being paid to do, to teach and to do research?

Psychological issues and obviously needed help. Too bad he went un-diagnosed and it ended this way. Really, it's a tragedy.

Lion, why is this in the religion forum?

Really? In a college campus in North Carolina? Admittedly, it has been a long time since I went to school at Auburn and Georgia Tech, but I have a very hard time seeing conservative Christians as any kind of isolated minority on a southern campus. At Auburn particularly, you couldn't go to Langdon to watch the Friday night movie, or attend an event at Foy without being besieged by Christian evangelicals peddling their ideology at the doors.
If a person takes religion to that extreme maybe they're just suffering from OCD. We had a few of those types on our campus as well. Religion was a kind of perfection to them, if you weren't religious like them there was something wrong with you. And of course there's something "wrong" with everything, religion included, so that's why I see this behavior as a kind of OCD. It's a psychological condition.

If a brain can decide to purchase a firearm so that it can fire a bullet into itself isn't that a definite sign that there was an underlying condition, a genuine pathology?

Another white victim of persecution. It is amazing that they can survive it enough to teach all of those impoverished younger whites about strength and tenacity to know that the right of whites to discriminate is a god given right.

I have no idea who this person was, but it's always a tragedy for family and friends when someone dies unexpectedly, regardless of the cause.

But, Lion, I can assure you as a person who spent the majority of her life living in the American South, that Christians are not persecuted here, nor do they have any reason to feel out of place. There are over 70 churches in my city of about 25,000 people.

It's actually atheists who are the most hated minority in the country, but most of us are strong enough not to whine about that. I try to have a sense of humor about some of the nutty things that I've heard people say about atheists. It's really their problem if they are so narrow minded and judgmental regarding those who don't share their beliefs. I don't judge Christians based on their beliefs. If I judge them at all, it's based on their character. For the most part, I just think of the most conservative ones as brainwashed individuals who don't think for themselves when it comes to the things they've been told to believe. I grew up surrounded by such people so I think I have the right to say that, knowing personally the depths that Christian pastors often go to, when it comes to manipulating and controlling their congregations.

If you are honestly feeling a personal loss for the death of the individual who died, than you have my condolences.

Another white victim of persecution. It is amazing that they can survive it enough to teach all of those impoverished younger whites about strength and tenacity to know that the right of whites to discriminate is a god given right.

Well, I'm white. I'm not bitter about it, but I have the same clear-eyed view of this society that any white person has. And I've come through. (Perhaps Mike S. Adams had a harder row to hoe than I did. I don't know.)
I do know that life was not easy. My dad was a sharecropper. No, make that share swapper, he traded shares on the NYSE. The family of a share swapper always lives on the edge. One year he didn't get his bonus, and our Christmas at Key West was a broken dream. We went to the Jersey Shore, and that was that.
Growing up white, it was not easy to assert my identity, with so many competing images in my world: the 5 Chinese brothers, Tonto, Fat Albert. One night my mom found me in bed with a picture of the Land o' Lakes lady, and that was it, we switched to Parkay.
Life was set in rigid lines for me. It was assumed that certain fields were open to me, and only those fields: dentistry, accounting, soil analysis, the Presidency.
Once when a friend came to our house for dinner, I hid the box of Hungry Jack Instant Mashed Potatoes. We liked those potatoes, but the outside world didn't have to know. (Today it's called 'whoul food', and it's sort of cool. But the kids at school would laugh when my lunch was Velveeta and marshmallow fluff on Bunny Bread.)
I suppose some of you don't remember December 19, 1964, when the Supremes took Bobby Vinton off the #1 spot with his song Mr. Lonely (after only one week!), but I do, and most white boys who were alive back then do. Bobby Vinton looked like me. I could've been Bobby Vinton. That could've been me.

Am I bitter? Sometimes. Do I wish I could change the past? No, I'm looking to the future. Do I have more of these rhetorical questions? Yes. Is there ultimate justice? You would have to ask Bobby Vinton. I can't speak for him.

What an interesting article.

It highlights all the ways that this man caused IMMENSE pain to others with his assholish bigotry, and then whines, “and he was crushed when people didnt let him do that without complaint!”

It notes how he tweeted (paraphrased from https://twitter.com/MikeSAdams/status/1266506726351802370?s=20 ), “I went out without a mask and it felt like I wasn’t in a slave state for a minute, Massa Cooper let my people free,” and then got all butt hurt when people called him an asshole bigot. “Don’t they know this hurt his feelings?”

This guy, the author, the best friend in the world of the man who died (looks like it was a suicide but they very carefully Christianically don’t sayy that, “sshhh!”) lets us know all the hateful and hurtful and harmful behvaiors of this “warrior” and exclaims how he had a RIGHT!!!! To say all these things, but Oh.My.God! People were so dang mean to him! “Don’t read the comments! They are awful!” As if this guy’s comments weren’t?

The privilege and entitlement are so thick you could choke on them. This sounds like the demise of a guy who could dish it out but couldn’t take it.

Throughout the long course of the litigation, Mike had been the very definition of the “happy warrior.” He seemed to relish the challenge. He seemed to thrive in the face of negative attacks.

But on day two, I saw the truth. Mike was a man in pain.

It came out during cross-examination. When I prepped Mike, I thought my task would be to hold him back, to make sure that he wasn’t too aggressive and too eager to explain himself. But then, when opposing counsel started to question Mike about his columns about race—she ripped out the worst lines from his columns, stripped them of context, and read them to a jury that was half African-American—I saw him crumble.

Maybe he can image how many people Mike “made crumble” with his tweets?
Maybe that self reflection was a painful moment for Mike and that look on his faace was guilt and regret? Or maybe it was just the arrogance of self-righteousness, blindsided by the reflection of how he looks to other people, followed by the deflection that makes bigots overcome reflection and feel great again.

When the guy on your side gets “infuriated” by your articles,
Shortly after his spiritual and political transformation, he started writing a column for Townhall. Some of his pieces were funny, some were touching, and some were acerbic. I liked some of his pieces, I cringed at some, and I found some of them outright infuriating.

Maybe you can understand why people who were not his friends were crushed, crumbled - “don’t read the comments!” And were fighting back?

Oh - MIKE can fight back, he is a “warrior”! Because he’s an Asshole For Jesus. And Asssholes For Jesus are always on the side of righteousness. But if anyone fights back against Mike? Oh! They are terrible, they are cruel, they are “rife with deception and irregularity.”

a man who faced an avalanche of unjust hatred in his life,
UNJUST!!! Did you hear that? His writing could “infuriate” his friend but anyone’s hatred of it and the guy who wrote it would be so very very unjust!

At the same time, he kept poking the hornet’s nest. He kept writing his columns the same way. They were intentionally (and often excessively) provocative.

UNJUST! I tell you!
That poor, poor POOR majority Christian White Man With A College Degree and a job at a major university!! That POOR MAN! Being excessively provocative and someone judging him on his behavior!. The injustice!

who had to fight for years to vindicate his most basic constitutional rights, and who helped mentor thousands of young conservative Christian students who often feel isolated and alone on secular and progressive campuses.

Okay, and yeah, “Christian Students who feel isolated” in Amerca as they sit in an enormous majority even in progressive norther cities (not like North Carolina AT ALL) are not isolated. Jesus H. Titty-Fucking Christ. Waaannh. Fucking Wanh. It must suck to feel so isolated while your school says prayers before sportsball games. I’ve worked in the South. And stoof by as the only one without bowed head while we had a prayer, at work, for a fucking machine to be turned on for the first time. There was singing. “Isolated”. Granted it was not in North Carolina, but it was 15 miles from it. To the North.

The article seems to be saying, “this guy was a dyed-in-the-wool asshole, but even assholes have rights. Oh, and he was my friend and he’s dead, so you aren’t allowed to call him an asshole any more because that’s mean, even though he called you names when he was alive.”

So - overall?

I find it interesting that Lion would post this thing. I wonder what he was hoping to happen.

• Was he hoping that atheists would say, “wow, we should stop being so critical of Christians? This man was really abused!” ?
  • Was he hoping Atheists would say all sorts of nasty things about him and then Lion could say, “see? See what horrible people secularists are?” That they would say nasty things about a guy who tweeted “ Don't shut down the universities. Shut down the non essential majors. Like Women’s Studies." and "Massa Cooper."? (I didn’t look for the parts that his own friend called “infuriating”)
  • Was he hoping that we’d read the article and learn what a swell guy this man was?
  • Was he hoping we’d see this and understand how important free speech is?

I dunno. I cannot imagine what Lion pictured as a success statement for posting. What was he hoping would happen? Lion doesn’t actually say what he thinks, he only quotes the friend of the asshole saying, “he was an asshole, BUT!...”. It would be nice if Lion made this post with some personal commentary of why he is sharing it with this community. That would make for good discussion rather than drive-by preaching.

For me, what happened was I learned about another Asshole For Jesus who dishes it out and then claims persecution when he gets pushback. When people treat him the way he has treated others.
In other words, nothing new was learned here.

For me, what happened was I learned about another Asshole For Jesus who dishes it out and then claims persecution when he gets pushback. When people treat him the way he has treated others.
In other words, nothing new was learned here.
Perhaps his last thoughts and words before he committed his final act of violence were "There is no God! Jesus is a myth like other myths! I'm a sick man who's caused terrible pain in so many lives. I'm sorry." Hey, a person can dream. Why isn't it possible that he had a deathbed deconversion?

Yes, the guy was clearly a right wing religious supremacist but he did condemn the death of George Floyd so he must have had some decent attributes.

If you've ever had close association with persons with mental illness his behavior comes as no surprise. The tragedy is that it went un-diagnosed and he never received the help and care that he desperately needed. I'm certain that scores of people tried to help him, tried to get him to recognize his irrational behavior. Typically a person like this alienates more and more and more and more people, friends, family, coworkers, until they're essentially all gone. He drives them away because they are all wrong, he tells them. Very standard stuff.

The best thing that could have ever happened to Mad Mike would have been someone taking legal action against him. This of course is what finally did happen but it should have come much earlier in his life. He needed to be shocked into facing the consequences of what basically amounted to multiple counts of assault on another person. Maybe if he's had to pay fines, spend time in prison because no one would come to his rescue, face the judges, stand in court, lose his freedom for a while, maybe his behavior would have changed. He likely would still never come to the awareness that his actions are hateful and destructive but at least he would associate his behavior with getting arrested, charged, tried, fined, unpleasant experiences all. And maybe he would have sobered up to a small degree, enough for him to escape suicide. This happens.

But culturally we treat religion as something holy, special, sacred, people have "callings." And that's fine when religion does good things for the rest of society. But in Mad Mike's case it inspired mostly conflict. He was a source of conflict more than anything it seems, due to his mental condition. All that energy could have been devoted to a life far less selfish.

There’s also a very odd disconnect between the OP title and reality:

Gnerally speaking, the heads on stakes are not accomplished by suicide. You know? That’s pretty hard to do.

So the metaphor: The bad guys killed and gruesomely publicised the death as intimidation to others....

... Well the guy putting the head on the pike here is Lion. And the writier of this aricle. They are the ones advertising the death for lessons of some kind.

Hence the metaphor Lion was going for kind of pointed back at himself. So, in a way, it is very very apropos to the situation, in a twisted recursive metaphorical kind of way.

There’s also a very odd disconnect between the OP title and reality:

Gnerally speaking, the heads on stakes are not accomplished by suicide. You know? That’s pretty hard to do.

So the metaphor: The bad guys killed and gruesomely publicised the death as intimidation to others....

... Well the guy putting the head on the pike here is Lion. And the writier of this aricle. They are the ones advertising the death for lessons of some kind.

Hence the metaphor Lion was going for kind of pointed back at himself. So, in a way, it is very very apropos to the situation, in a twisted recursive metaphorical kind of way.

Yes, we get that. Someone like Lion or Mad Mike however cannot make the connection. It's a mental condition ultimately. It cannot be anything else.

Coward's way out. He wasn't "cancelled"; he said something offensive and was upset when people reacted badly. He might have been cancelled eventually I suppose, but a few angry tweets do not a boycott make, nor is it likely that those offended were regular consumers of his products to begin with. And I don't think this particular scrape gave him suicidal depression out of the blue, that isn't really how mental health goes. I note that he was currently in the process of suing several of his colleagues for defamation after they circulated a letter in support of their Muslim students; assuming his goal was to get their publication rescinded, he was trying to "cancel" them at least as strenuously as they were "cancelling" him, if they were.

For what it's worth, I am sorry to hear of his passing. He wasn't stupid, just misguided. He was popular with his students by all accounts, and if the university kept him on after a solid decade of constant political rabble-rousing, they must have seen considerable value in having him on staff despite all the complaints, suits, and negative press he also brought them. I do not approve of any of his published work, but I mourn the loss of potential, when a scholar and educator who could have been great throws their life away after the madness of their times.

Isn't suicide a mortal sin?

That means he's going to hell, right?

You're thinking of Roman Catholics. He believed that they were all going to Hell, and indeed were major parties in the supposed persecution of Christians around the world.
Yabbut, how do all the other sects feel about suicide? What's the approximate ideological split, do ya suppose 50/50?

Isn't suicide a mortal sin?

That means he's going to hell, right?

You're thinking of Roman Catholics. He believed that they were all going to Hell, and indeed were major parties in the supposed persecution of Christians around the world.
Yabbut, how do all the other sects feel about suicide? What's the approximate ideological split, do ya suppose 50/50?

Well, they don't hve "mortal ins", so his "sainthood" as a Christian warrior likely gets him in from an evanglical perspective...

WWJD

The wiki article on Mike is pretty thorough. He definitely had control issues and saw himself as superior. I can understand a university not wanting his services anymore. He wished to use the imprimatur of the university for personal profit. He should have switched universities, maybe Liberty would have hired him. He was only 56, had a lot of years left.

Back
Top Bottom