• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

RNA self replicates

BH

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Muslim
Hi. I have read several articles online that RNA has been observed to form spontaneously when water is exposed to basaltic rock. I have read that in labs the RNA has developed a way to go further and self replicate. Everything most up to date online seems behind a paywall.

I was wondering if any of you have more current information. I'm particularly interested if the self replication has been observed in the " wild" yet outside the lab.

Hi. I have read several articles online that RNA has been observed to form spontaneously when water is exposed to basaltic rock. I have read that in labs the RNA has developed a way to go further and self replicate. Everything most up to date online seems behind a paywall.

I was wondering if any of you have more current information. I'm particularly interested if the self replication has been observed in the " wild" yet outside the lab.
The problem with RNA is that it looks like a delicious snack to modern bacteria, so it doesn't really exist outside aseptic laboratory conditions, at least, not for long. And if it does, it's almost impossible to tell apart from the RNA that those bacteria bring to the party in any non-sterile environment, so we can't see the wood for the trees.

Of course, on the promordial Earth, there were no bacteria, and no such problem; If we know that RNA can form spontaneously; And we know that it can not only self-replicate, but can self-catalyse its own replication, in laboratory conditions, then it would be pervrse and illogical to believe that all those things would not have happened millions of times on the pre-biotic Earth (or indeed on any planet with the right conditions for liquid water, and sufficient phosphate, carbon dioxide, and other simple molecules in proximity to basaltic rocks).

The question is "Why wouldn't it happen?". And the answer on Earth is that existing life is very good at scavenging those molecules as nutrients. But in the absence of existing life, there really isn't much to stop RNA from forming into self-replicators in this way, in "the wild".

Excessive heat, or high levels of ionising radiation, might stop it. But there's going to be a cool, shady, shielded spot somewhere on most planets with liquid water on them. Liquid water itself makes an excellent shield against ionizing radiation.

Last edited:
My Googling suggested several papers that don't appear to be behind pay-walls, e.g. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3943892/ (quoted below) or https://www.mdpi.com/2075-1729/6/3/26 .

To achieve replication, needs include (1) containment (easily provided in lab, e.g. via test tubes), (2) raw materials, e.g. phosphate, (3) probably catalysts, and especially (4) useful energy. These needs may be satisfied inside a living cell, or in carefully-designed laboratory environments, but were harder-to-come-by on the early lifeless Earth.

One claim near the very end of the first paper caught my eye:
Amplification of 10100-fold was achieved over a period of 37.5 hours.
It states "was achieved" rather than "might be extrapolated"! But 10100 is a large number.

My Googling suggested several papers that don't appear to be behind pay-walls, e.g. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3943892/ (quoted below) or https://www.mdpi.com/2075-1729/6/3/26 .

To achieve replication, needs include (1) containment (easily provided in lab, e.g. via test tubes), (2) raw materials, e.g. phosphate, (3) probably catalysts, and especially (4) useful energy. These needs may be satisfied inside a living cell, or in carefully-designed laboratory environments, but were harder-to-come-by on the early lifeless Earth.

One claim near the very end of the first paper caught my eye:
Amplification of 10100-fold was achieved over a period of 37.5 hours.
It states "was achieved" rather than "might be extrapolated"! But 10100 is a large number.
That's kind of confusing wording in the summary, but here is the paragraph it seems to refer to:

"Then a 100-fold dilution was carried out, transferring 0.02–0.03 μM of both enzymes to the second reaction mixture. This process was repeated for 50 successive transfers as the replicating molecules withstood an overall dilution of 10¹⁰⁰-fold (Figure 6B). Amplification was highly consistent over the total reaction period of 37.5 h, occurring at a pace of 464-fold h−1."

This suggests that they diluted the solution a 100fold energy so many minutes, and each time the RNA "recovered" to the point that the reaction carried on in the dilute and the products were still detectable in what is cumulatively a 10¹⁰⁰-fold dilute. It did not imply that the substance multiplied to 10¹⁰, which would be a rather dubious claim when the visible universe is estimated to contain 10⁸⁰ particles.

I'd have to have more specific references. I'm sure that I can interpret the abstracts of paywalled ones.

Did any of the papers describe any of the raw materials that were used in the experiments described in those papers?

Were they RNA nucleotides?

(phosphate) - (ribose) - (nucleobase)

Or were all three parts separate?

Did these experiment describe prebiotic synthesis of any nucleobases? Prebiotic synthesis of ribose?

Back
Top Bottom