• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Rudy Giuliani added to Trump legal team - A desperate move?

starwater

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Moving to the 4th Dimension
(CNN)Bringing Rudy Giuliani on to President Donald Trump's legal team all but guarantees the White House circus becomes a three-ring affair.

So many other lawyers have turned him down citing conflicts - :rolleyes:

Giuliani - one of the last loyal trump attorney standing decides to join in. I think this is the act of desperation and that something big is coming down.

Giuliani is a former prosecutor, so his advice can be helpful in interpreting Mueller's moves and in working the Southern District of NY.

What else does he have to do? Giuliani couldn't get a cabinet post, so this is his consolation prize.

I think it's just typical Trump mentality. Giuliani is a fellow New Yorker and someone Trump probably thinks has the kind of clout that can pull strings for Trump. I think it's a joke. Giuliani hasn't practiced law in decades. Trump is seeing what he perceives as power, and Trump perceives power as being able to do what you want with the law. I really doubt Trump cares about anything in Giuliani other than the big name and the "one of us" associations.

It will be interesting to see if Giuliani does anything at all to benefit Trump. :eating_popcorn:

Trump thinks Giuliani will be an effective TV advocate for him.

And as we all know, TV is where reality comes from.

It is also true that Trump is finding it hard to hire lawyers. For some reason, they don't want to work with a client who doesn't take instructions or advice from lawyers.

It is also true that Trump is finding it hard to hire lawyers. For some reason, they don't want to work with a client who doesn't take instructions or advice from lawyers.

This^ can't be overstated. Any law firm in the history of this nation that would've gotten a call from the POTUS asking them to even quietly consult the POTUS on legal matters wouldn't have had to think about it. The discussion wouldn't have been whether they should represent, but who and how many lawyers to send. The issues wouldn't have mattered. Any firm would've jumped at the opportunity.

But Trump is so historically fucking toxic that he could ruin the reputation of any law firm in the nation; so they stay away.

Instead, Trump now has a guy who hasn't practiced law in decades shambling in to try and help him.

This^ can't be overstated. Any law firm in the history of this nation that would've gotten a call from the POTUS asking them to even quietly consult the POTUS on legal matters wouldn't have had to think about it. The discussion wouldn't have been whether they should represent, but who and how many lawyers to send. The issues wouldn't have mattered. Any firm would've jumped at the opportunity.

But Trump is so historically fucking toxic that he could ruin the reputation of any law firm in the nation; so they stay away.

Instead, Trump now has a guy who hasn't practiced law in decades shambling in to try and help him.

Plus, Giuliani knows where all the bodies are buried—and helped bury them, figuratively speaking—so this is a smart strategic move on his part. He can now claim attorney-client privilege for anything he was involved in (short of having helped to actually bury a body).

Plus, Trump thinks he’s a mob boss and believes it’s all about back-room connections. And he’s not wrong in that belief were it not for the fact that he’s the President and not a fucking mob boss.

He’s clearly counting on loading the deck in NY, but he is not just deeply hated in NY, he owes very large amounts to a LOT of connected people, so the payoffs would have to be enormous. I don’t mean mere millions. We’re talking hundreds of millions; the kind of nouveux riche payoff that old money is offended by. Which is where Giuliani comes in. Not as an attorney; as his new “fixer.”

But I believe the desire to finally see Trump go down in flames—and the removal of what most New Yorkers have bitterly tolerated for years; his garish name on every building—is stronger than any pathetic attempts to pay people off. Some might take the money, of course, but I would almost guarantee that many then turn around and fuck him over anyway, because that’s precisely what he has done to them time and time again.

No one has ever loved Trump in NY. Well, no one that matters I should say. They have always shunned him and considered him to be way beneath them (because he is). That is a powerful tide against him, made all the more powerful by how he’s shat all over the White House, our standing in the world and his naked shorting of the market, causing considerable disruption and unease among the very people he—and Giuliani—would be counting on to fix things for him.

Look for any statements/tweets that favor NY economically in the coming weeks/months (though any such arrangements will likely be hidden in the back pages). He’s certainly not going to pay anything out of his own pocket, so it’s going to be taxpayer supported payoffs like infrastructure subsidies or the like.

ETA: My guess would be the Gateway funding Trump yanked (and likely why he yanked it; so he can now put it back in as part of his payoff).

Last edited:
In other forums some believe that Trump believes that Giuliani can influence Mueller because they have previously worked together.

I don't have an opinion on that but others have brought it up.

So Trump's defence against allegations of Russian collision will be "9/11 9/11 9/11"?

Fucking hell, dude. You can't just say "9/11". What if Giuliani is a member here? You just made him jizz all over the screen and now he needs to buy a new laptop. He's going to be late for his first day of work. :mad:

In other forums some believe that Trump believes that Giuliani can influence Mueller because they have previously worked together.

I don't have an opinion on that but others have brought it up.

Maybe that is an attempt to get Mueller to recuse himself.

Didn’t Giuliani use his FBI connections to get that BS Clinton Fndn ‘indictment’ ‘leak’ story to come out?

Trump thinks Giuliani will be an effective TV advocate for him.

And as we all know, TV is where reality comes from.

This^ is probably the most accurate reasoning.

It's a sure bet that Trump's current attorneys are by now intimately familiar with tactics and strategies Mueller is employing and will employ in the future. They're not operating in a room by themselves. They have staff who have done countless hours of research and have written countless memos about all the matters involved. The attorneys have reviewed all of that and discussed it until they're blue in the face with experienced prosecutors.

Giuliani is there to drum up members of the base who may become dispirited, but who can become cajoled into rabidity by any nonsensical mention of 9/11. As in, "This is like what happened on 9/11!" Or some other silliness that is irrelevant to this case.

As an aside and having nothing to do with anything: good god, this is the most physically unsightly group of assholes to ever hold the Executive branch.

Trump's new legal team are the same people who prompted Rosenstein to assign a special counsel right after Trump fired Comey.

spongebobyoulikekrabbypatties.jpg

Giuliani is there to drum up members of the base who may become dispirited, but who can become cajoled into rabidity by any nonsensical mention of 9/11. As in, "This is like what happened on 9/11!" Or some other silliness that is irrelevant to this case.

It probably is as simple as that. I'm amazed that the tactic is still effective, but it is. The most recent example of it being used that I can recall was Geraldo Rivera using it whilst being interviewed by Bill Maher. Fast forward to 3:18
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfmZVZzyL_U[/youtube]

Expect to see a return of this level of discourse. 9/11; the GOPs adaptation of "four legs bad, two legs good".

It probably is as simple as that. I'm amazed that the tactic is still effective, but it is. The most recent example of it being used that I can recall was Geraldo Rivera using it whilst being interviewed by Bill Maher. Fast forward to 3:18
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfmZVZzyL_U[/youtube]

Expect to see a return of this level of discourse. 9/11; the GOPs adaptation of "four legs bad, two legs good".

Yeah, I saw that interview. It was amazing to see Geraldo caught so out of sorts by such basic questions. It was obvious that Maher expected Geraldo to provide some kind reasonable answers to his questions, but instead, the guy just kind of stammered and stuttered throughout the interview.

I'd never seen Geraldo so at a loss for words or so out of sorts.

I don't know if "disturbing" is the right word, but he behaved like a cult member who hadn't been off the compound in years.

Geoffrey Berman's appointment runs out on May 5th (which is now less than 2 weeks away). I suspect he will be replace by Giuliani in the position, again, who will promptly end the Cohen investigation.

Later,
ElectEngr

Back
Top Bottom