• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Saruman was a liberal progressive

DrZoidberg

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Here's a fun one. It's a video explaining the philosophy underpinning Lord of the Rings, and how extremely reactionary it is. It's the best summary of J.R.R. Tolkien's work I have ever seen. And how the whole thing is basically an attack on progressive values and liberalism. It's Christian propaganda. Enjoy

I suspect the fact that it's Christian propaganda is the reason it became popular. It came into a world that had already left Christianity. The Christianity of the 20'th century was all symbols and no content. We removed Christianity and replaced it with nothing. Well.. we replaced it with reason, science and secular values. Lol. But those aren't things that will calm and reassure someone going through rough times.

One thing that he doesn't mention in the video is that Tolkien saw the middle class as morally superior, rather than the nobles. So he's a little bit progressive. But only a little bit.

I also don't accept this guys interpretation of Nietzsche. But perhaps that's Tolkien's interpretation of Nietzshe? I don't know anything about that. A lot of people got Nietzsche wrong back then. They still do. If the universe is amoral than wheter or not we all become übermensch is value neutral. I don't think Nietzsche saw being an übermensch as superior. I think he saw it mostly as painful, anxiety inducing and soul crushing. It's just a different way of living your life. Yes, if we kill God then we will need to become gods. That was perhaps Nietzsche's deepest insight. But I highly doubt Nietzshe saw that as positive.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom