• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

SCROTUS to accept nomination on 60th anniversary of Jacksonville's "Ax Handle Saturday"

hurtinbuckaroo

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
laissez le bon temps rouler
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-ax-handle-saturday/5ee1b4c788e0fa32f82380a0/

"On Aug. 27, 1960, a mob of 200 white people in Jacksonville, Fla. – organized by the Ku Klux Klan and joined by some of the city’s police officers – chased and beat peaceful civil rights protesters who were trying to integrate downtown lunch counters."

Doing it on that day is one thing; there are lots of dates when racists did bad things. But on that day, in that city? I am not surprised; and as much as I know it will be painful for many people, some of whom were lucky to live through it, I'm all for it if it brings him closer to his well-earned demise.

As a bonus, he's scheduled to resume his rallies on, of all dates, Juneteenth in, of all places, Tulsa, TX, site of the race massacre that left 300 black residents dead and a flourishing black economic center burned to the ground. Here's hoping his election chances meet the same fate.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2020/06/11/juneteenth-trump-rally-tulsa-race-massacre/

So Trump did cave and changed the June 19 rally to the 20th. But to me the Ax Handle Saturday date is the worse one. Juneteenth is a commemoration of a positive event, whereas the other day isn't, the name gives it away. Unless it's just that a Trump rally is naturally expected to be a basic klan rally, I don't see how any offense should be taken. I also don't see how the Tulsa Massacre should enter into it unless it were being held on that anniversary. Are no events ever supposed to occur in Tulsa ever again? 90% of people never even heard of the Massacre before the Watchmen tv show.

Yet in every story I read or every commenter I hear about it, they all act like it's obvious that it's an insult to hold it that day, so I could be missing something.

By the way, HB, you're up in the Movie thread. Everyone is waiting on you.

So Trump did cave and changed the June 19 rally to the 20th. But to me the Ax Handle Saturday date is the worse one. Juneteenth is a commemoration of a positive event, whereas the other day isn't, the name gives it away. Unless it's just that a Trump rally is naturally expected to be a basic klan rally, I don't see how any offense should be taken. I also don't see how the Tulsa Massacre should enter into it unless it were being held on that anniversary. Are no events ever supposed to occur in Tulsa ever again? 90% of people never even heard of the Massacre before the Watchmen tv show.
I think no events hosted by a racist should occur in Tulsa during that anniversary as well as any other day.
Yet in every story I read or every commenter I hear about it, they all act like it's obvious that it's an insult to hold it that day, so I could be missing something.
It is insensitive to hold it in Tulsa that day to a large segment of that community as to anyone else who is appalled as to what happened.

Appalled as to what?

Are no big events to occur in Tulsa ever? Or just Trump rallies? Would a Biden rally there on that day also be criticized?

Back
Top Bottom