• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Should this "Karen" be locked up for falsely accusing an innocent Black?

Lumpenproletariat

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
---- "Just the facts, ma'am, just the facts."
In this incident a female at a hotel lobby accused a Black teenager of stealing her i-phone.

"And it turns out, the boy never stole her phone."

"It turns out" that he didn't steal it. But at the time, she didn't know that.

How many times a week (month, year) does someone lose a phone and then sees someone with a phone that looks like theirs and suspects theft?

Maybe not 1000 times, but this sort of thing must have happened a few times over the last 20 or 30 years. What probably happened?

The suspicious one accuses the suspected thief, and the latter takes out the phone and says, "No, this is mine. See, here's ---- "

Isn't there a way to prove that your phone is yours and is not stolen from someone else who had the same kind of phone?

In this scene, the accuser demands to see the phone, but the accused refuses, and insists that he's being unjustly accused because he's Black. Wasn't there a way he could prove that it was his phone?

Why can't a person falsely accused simply take a moment to prove that he's not a thief, if the proof is right there, plain for anyone to see? Is it always necessary for an accused person to refuse to prove his/her innocence? What's wrong with just proving you're innocent of the accusation, if it's so easy?

This "hysterical female" would've had to accept the fact that she was mistaken if she could have seen the phone and be shown that it was not hers. What's wrong with being suspicious, if you just lost something and you suddenly see someone with an identically-same item? Innocent people should feel proud to prove their innocence when they're accused.

This doesn't look like a case of racial discrimination against a Black. In other such cases, the accused one was reasonable and did what was necessary to prove their innocence.

How is this different from a suspected shoplifter who is asked to show what's in the bag, or to show their receipt? There are many incidents like this, and they are usually resolved by the accused one taking a moment to disprove the suspicions.

Last edited:

Mumbles

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
...Or, rather than falsely accusing and physically attacking the black teen she could hgave used any one of several available methods to find or ID her lost phone that don't involve assault.

zorq

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist, Moderate
I don't appreciate your sarcastic hash tags, but I do agree with you Derec.

I saw that video on another site and I couldn't understand why so many people were insisting that the woman was over-reacting and/or racist. She MAY be racist, but it is just as likely that she is merely wrong or confused.

It IS quite easy to show someone that your phone is yours. It's a heck of a lot easier than getting into an argument. She told the kid to take off the phone case; I suspect that was to verify some identifying characteristic on the phone. Depending on the phone case, that can be usually be accomplished in less than 1 second. But this confrontation allegedly took more than 5 minutes. Why would you subject yourself to that instead of quickly and easily proving your innocence?

krypton iodine sulfur

Banned
Banned
Basic Beliefs
n/a

#BelieveWomen is about fucked up shit that happens to women when they report rape/ sexual assaults or speak up about it. What exactly are you agreeing with?

Why would you subject yourself to that instead of quickly and easily proving your innocence?

Because you aren't accountable to people's random and unfounded accusations. In the best case scenario she was being disrespectful in making such a shitty assumption about the kid. Why should he budge an inch for her? I wouldn't. If someone wants to falsely accuse me of theft without a damn good reason... How shoulds't thou fuck thyself? Let me count the ways.

bigfield

the baby-eater
Basic Beliefs
yeah nah
I would tell her to fuck off, but this has never happened to me because no-one assumes I'm a criminal.

TV and credit cards

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist
Why would you subject yourself to that instead of quickly and easily proving your innocence?

Because you aren't accountable to people's random and unfounded accusations. In the best case scenario she was being disrespectful in making such a shitty assumption about the kid. Why should he budge an inch for her? I wouldn't. If someone wants to falsely accuse me of theft without a damn good reason... How shoulds't thou fuck thyself? Let me count the ways.

Because we do not live in the controlled environment of a courthouse. We live in a world full of strangers. And while teen may feel safe standing on the ground of righteousness with this smallish woman, it would not be a practice I would advise my teenage black son to take going forward.

Yes the smart and obvious action to take would be to quickly defuse the situation by unlocking the phone or showing your accuser the apps in your phone. This is also the white thing to do. What many of this forums “why can’t they just act like normal white people in white world” members never seem to grasp is black people do not get to live in white world. Ever. They are born into and have to make their way in a world to some degree less fair and more dangerous.

But for teen’s immediate purpose, it is what it is. What are you teaching your son, dad? Would you recommend your son stand his ground if accused by tired, pissed-off, 250 pound construction worker? If so, the guilty party is you, dad.

zorq

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist, Moderate

#BelieveWomen is about fucked up shit that happens to women when they report rape/ sexual assaults or speak up about it. What exactly are you agreeing with?
I was under the mistaken impression that the first two posts in this thread were both from Derec, and not just the second one. Oops. The agreement was with what Lumpen posted. I already expressed my displeasure with what Derec posted.

krypton iodine sulfur

Banned
Banned
Basic Beliefs
n/a
But for teen’s immediate purpose, it is what it is. What are you teaching your son, dad? Would you recommend your son stand his ground if accused by tired, pissed-off, 250 pound construction worker? If so, the guilty party is you, dad.

No, the guilty party is the hypothetical construction worker if he tries some stupid shit. If one decides it's prudent or preferable to show their phone, that is their own business. If one recognizes that's what is needed for survival, that's their business. And they may be right. But if in this thread we're pressing some level of guilt or culpability onto the kid or his dad for not showing her the phone, then I just can't see eye-to-eye with that.

Yes the smart and obvious action to take would be to quickly defuse the situation by unlocking the phone or showing your accuser the apps in your phone.
This is also the white thing to do. What many of this forums “why can’t they just act like normal white people in white world” members never seem to grasp is black people do not get to live in white world. Ever. They are born into and have to make their way in a world to some degree less fair and more dangerous.

I don't get what point you are making here? The white thing to do is to show her the phone? I have no opinion one what the kid should have done because that was his call to make. I would have ignored her and walked away, and if she had tried to grab at me, I'd have told her to fuck right off. I am fully aware my circumstances would be different than the teen's circumstances, but my point is not about telling him what he ought to have done. The point is there are not so hard to understand reasons for not showing her the phone.

zorq

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist, Moderate

Because you aren't accountable to people's random and unfounded accusations. In the best case scenario she was being disrespectful in making such a shitty assumption about the kid. Why should he budge an inch for her?
Because it is easy, fast, and SAFE. Taunting a deranged stranger by refusing to indulge their not completely unreasonable whims is a recipe for disaster.
I wouldn't. If someone wants to falsely accuse me of theft without a damn good reason... How shoulds't thou fuck thyself? Let me count the ways.
How are you so sure she didn't have a good reason. Just because the reason is eventually proven to be false doesn't mean that it wasn't a good reason in the moment. Mistakes and misunderstandings happen and WE don't have the full context for this encounter to judge what evidence she was basing her false accusation on. I think we should give a strangers the benefit of the doubt for a moment and take half a second to correct their misconceptions.

Ford

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Godless Heathen
Oh look...it's another thread dedicated to answering the burning question of "the Negroes...why are they so vexing?"

krypton iodine sulfur

Banned
Banned
Basic Beliefs
n/a
How are you so sure she didn't have a good reason.

Not having your phone on your person is not an adequate reason to start suspecting people of theft. She didn't see or feel anyone take her phone (given that no one took her phone). There isn't currently a reason to believe the teenager's actions were easily able to be misread as pickpocketing. Perhaps she envisioned a scenario where she dropped it and he decided to steal it that way (and for some reason kept it out for her to see), but that scenario is not a 'damn good'* reason for suspicion seeing as it's also quite plausible he just had a similar phone or phone case. It seems very unlikely she had a good reason for suspicion let alone her level of certitude.

*quote marks in reference to my original, more emphatic phrasing.

edit: the full instagram version of the video:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CJR6LviHFkd/?utm_source=ig_embed

zorq

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist, Moderate
How are you so sure she didn't have a good reason.

Not having your phone on your person is not an adequate reason to start suspecting people of theft. She didn't see or feel anyone take her phone (given that no one took her phone). There isn't currently a reason to believe the teenager's actions were easily able to be misread as pickpocketing. Perhaps she envisioned a scenario where she dropped it and he decided to steal it that way (and for some reason kept it out for her to see), but that scenario is not a 'damn good'* reason for suspicion seeing as it's also quite plausible he just had a similar phone or phone case. It seems very unlikely she had a good reason for suspicion let alone her level of certitude.

*quote marks in reference to my original, more emphatic phrasing.

edit: the full instagram version of the video:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CJR6LviHFkd/?utm_source=ig_embed

I'm only seeing confirmation that WE don't know her reasons for suspicion. Given the boy and dad's utter refusal to comply with fast, easy, and safe measures of proving their innocence, I see no reason for her suspicion not to be even more elevated.

krypton iodine sulfur

Banned
Banned
Basic Beliefs
n/a
I'm only seeing confirmation that WE don't know her reasons for suspicion.

I never claimed to know her reason for suspicion. I am talking about a scenario where someone doesn't have a damn good reason to accuse me because I believe that is a fair parallel to what we do know about this incident so far. Given what we know, there is ample reason to suspect that she did not have a damn good reason or even an ordinarily good reason.

Given the boy and dad's utter refusal to comply with fast, easy, and safe measures of proving their innocence, I see no reason for her suspicion not to be even more elevated.

Step 1: make bullshit accusation
Step 2: demand proof of innocence against your bullshit accusation
Step 3: when your accusee has a not-so-submissive attitude toward your bullshit accusation and isn't compliant with your demands, use that as further validation for your bullshit accusation
Step 4: actually physically go after them insisting they have your property despite having zero evidence

I mean, the logic is air tight.

Swammerdami

Squadron Leader
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
pseudo-deism
I can't believe many of the responses in this thread.

First of all, Karen wouldn't have been satisfied to examine the child's phone. She would have claimed he had a second phone hidden in another pocket. Second, if a deranged stranger approached me demanding I let her inspect my phone there's several reasons I'd be reluctant to comply.

Those who say it would be better to spend a few seconds obeying a strange request than to argue about it for 5 minutes may be unfamiliar with American culture. Do you think Karen would have complied with such a request? Especially if it came from a black? The victim's father was some rich elite, right? Had he been lower-class the blacks might have submitted meekly, and there'd be no video.

And, as someone points out in the video, if a black adult assaulted an innocent white youth, does anyone think there'd be no consequences? The black would be lucky to just get arrested, rather than tazed or shot.

Finally what's with the "Just say Yes'm and do what whitey tells you to do, boy"? Wake up, please.

zorq

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist, Moderate
I'm only seeing confirmation that WE don't know her reasons for suspicion.

I never claimed to know her reason for suspicion. I am talking about a scenario where someone doesn't have a damn good reason to accuse me because I believe that is a fair parallel to what we do know about this incident so far. Given what we know, there is ample reason to suspect that she did not have a damn good reason or even an ordinarily good reason.

Given the boy and dad's utter refusal to comply with fast, easy, and safe measures of proving their innocence, I see no reason for her suspicion not to be even more elevated.

Step 1: make bullshit accusation
Step 2: demand proof of innocence against your bullshit accusation
Step 3: when your accusee has a not-so-submissive attitude toward your bullshit accusation and isn't compliant with your demands, use that as further validation for your bullshit accusation
Step 4: actually physically go after them insisting they have your property despite having zero evidence

I mean, the logic is air tight.
You forgot Step 5: Profit!

It's a joke but, really where in this scenario is the profit? Do you think she was harrassing the dad and kid for fun? Did you think she was trying to steal the kid's phone with the help of the hotel clerk bystander? No. She didn't think her accusation was bullshit. Standing around and enduring 5 minutes of confrontation when you can diffuse the entire situation in mere moments is the bullshit.

Since we are just making things up now, let's consider my converse scenario so that we can ponder about which party was acting more unreasonably.

Step 1: Conceal easily accessible exculpatory evidence.
Step 2: Continue to conceal exculpatory evidence because accuser hasn't left you alone.
Step 3: Conceal the exculpatory evidence some more and insult your accuser because they are clearly nuts and have escalated to physical attacks.
Step 4: This nut job just started pointing a firearm at me and my child, but they'll have to pull my easily accessible exculpatory evidence from my cold dead hands before I let them have even a peek at it.

ruby sparks

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
One slightly surprising outcome is that apparently, she has not publicly apologised (yet). The Hotel has apologised profusely.

I do think, all things considered, that the preferred response would have been to straight away show her she was mistaken. I think we can even see the boy starting to do this and the father telling him not to. And I don't think it was unreasonable for the hotel manager to ask the boy to do it. It was the obvious and easy way to quickly clear the whole thing up.

That said, if she (as it seems she did) try to reach into the boy's pocket herself then she's in trouble.

As to whether she was racially-motivated, it's not clear. Unlike in the dog walking example being cited, I didn't hear anything about the boy being black being said.

ideologyhunter

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
atheism/beatnikism
Terrible! Just found out that Obama had my "wires tapped" in Trump Tower just before the victory. Nothing found. This is McCarthyism!

krypton iodine sulfur

Banned
Banned
Basic Beliefs
n/a
It's a joke but, really where in this scenario is the profit?

No. I believe she lost her phone, and phones being integral to many peoples's lives these days (and often containing sensitive info), she freaked out like many people would. What does that have to do with anything? (edit: I don't mean the initial joke. I mean why do I need to address some ulterior motive on her part? I don't assert there was one.)

Since we are just making things up now,

No, I'm not making things up. I just inserted step three so I could fit your observation into events.

let's consider my converse scenario so that we can ponder about which party was acting more unreasonably.

One party was minding their own.
One party made a false and unfounded accusation.

Done.

zorq

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist, Moderate
No. I believe she lost her phone, and phones being integral to many peoples's lives these days (and often containing sensitive info), she freaked out like many people would. What does that have to do with anything? (edit: I don't mean the initial joke. I mean why do I need to address some ulterior motive on her part? I don't assert there was one.)
Insisting that the accusation was "bullshit" implies that she was intentionally lying. In order for me to accept that I would like a plausible motivation for her to indeed commit to bullshitting a stranger in this fashion.

Done.
First of all, things don't become simpler just because you choose to ignore the details. That is a pattern all to familiar to me when dealing with conservative logic. We are capable of holding more than two thoughts at the same time in our heads when considering a problem so why would we try to limit ourselves like this?

One party was minding their own business, yes, absolutely. And he made it clear that he wanted to return to minding his own business repeatedly. But he refused to do one thing that would make that outcome almost certain.

One party made a false accusation, yes. But I still object to your insistence that it was unfounded. WE DON'T KNOW HER REASONS! Your insistence that reasons must be "damn good" to justify an accusation isn't an objective (or well defined) standard. And there are still scenarios in which she still could (wrongly) have "damn good" reason to suspect the kid has her phone. Here's one that is completely unlikely but entirely plausible: The kid is clumsy and drops his phone near or maybe even inside the woman's partially unattended and open purse/handbag. The woman turns and notices the boy retrieve the phone which has a passing resemblance to her own phone and then comes to the obvious conclusion that she just witnessed her phone being stolen before her very eyes.

Why are people here so adverse to helping out a confused stranger especially when it benefits YOU as well in an instant and tangible way?

krypton iodine sulfur

Banned
Banned
Basic Beliefs
n/a
Insisting that the accusation was "bullshit" implies that she was intentionally lying. In order for me to accept that I would like a plausible motivation for her to indeed commit to bullshitting a stranger in this fashion.

No. I said it was bullshit because the accusation was unfounded. From her perspective it may or may not have seemed legit, but she's not here in this thread and I'm not talking to her. I'm not talking about what the world looked like from her eyes in that moment. I was mocking your attitude--you, a third-party observer--and your bizarre apologetics for her shit behaviour.

First of all, things don't become simpler just because you choose to ignore the details. That is a pattern all to familiar to me when dealing with conservative logic. We are capable of holding more than two thoughts at the same time in our heads when considering a problem so why would we try to limit ourselves like this?

I didn't ignore details. I stuck to what was relevant and salient in quoting and responding.

One party was minding their own business, yes, absolutely. And he made it clear that he wanted to return to minding his own business repeatedly. But he refused to do one thing that would make that outcome almost certain.

That one thing was intrusive and unreasonable and coupled with an unwarranted and vilifying accusation.

But I still object to your insistence that it was unfounded. WE DON'T KNOW HER REASONS!

I don't need to know her reasons. She needed some form of evidence to match her allegation. She had none that we are aware of. There is currently no reason to believe she had any at all. What would it have even been?

zorq

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist, Moderate
No. I said it was bullshit because the accusation was unfounded. From her perspective it may or may not have seemed legit, but she's not here in this thread and I'm not talking to her. I'm not talking about what the world looked like from her eyes in that moment. I was mocking your attitude--you, a third-party observer--and your bizarre apologetics for her shit behaviour.
I see, you were presenting your perception of the woman's thought process and in the process you used the word "bullshit." Except "bullshit" is very commmonly used to connote "deliberate lies" even though you possibly only wanted to convey "ultimately shown to be false." There was a miscommunication. You did not intend to imply deliberate deception on her part. Do you understand my reaction to this misunderstanding?

I didn't ignore details. I stuck to what was relevant and salient in quoting and responding.
Now you are being disingenuous. You boiled the entire situation down to 14 words and called it "done." Don't sit there and insist that details weren't omitted.

That one thing was intrusive and unreasonable and coupled with an unwarranted and vilifying accusation.
This may be where we ultimately find no common ground. Flashing your phone aroud in public is practically an international passtime. It costs so very little time and effort to unlock your phone or briefly remove the case that I don't see what the big deal is. It is intrusive, but not unreasonable given the stakes of the situation and the lack of other hurdles in performing the task.
But I still object to your insistence that it was unfounded. WE DON'T KNOW HER REASONS!

I don't need to know her reasons. She needed some form of evidence to match her allegation. She had none that we are aware of. There is currently no reason to believe she had any at all. What would it have even been?
There IS reason to believe she had reasons or evidence. If we suppose she has no reasons or evidence for making the accusation, her observed behavior becomes incomprehensible.

It is total irony that you would ask, "What would it have even been?" Immediately after clipping out from my quote a plausible example of what it could be.

Toni

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Peace on Earth, goodwill towards all
I do believe that the term 'Karen' should be retired.

Mumbles is right: she had other options to find her phone--although she may not have known that she had those or those features may have been turned off. My purse WAS indeed stolen, with my phone in it. I actually had those features off somehow. In the end, I got my purse, complete with credit cards (already replaced) and ID and even cash--but not my phone. Which was weird because we also immediately had my phone deactivated once we realized that the find my phone function was not working and Verizon assured me that it was useless to the thief. I store zero financial information on my phone and make zero purchases using it.

One of my kids had a bike stolen and for weeks and weeks after, I was certain I saw 'that' bike. Nope, I did not jump out and accuse whatever person was riding that bike every time I saw someone riding a similar bike--but I did feel the impulse.

I'm not saying that racism wasn't involved in the incident in the OP. It probably was. I am saying that the term Karen really needs to be retired and that I understand being hypervigilant and mistaking every similar phone for YOUR phone.

TomC

Celestial Highness
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic deist
There IS reason to believe she had reasons or evidence. If we suppose she has no reasons or evidence for making the accusation, her observed behavior becomes incomprehensible.

Unfortunately, people are commonly stupid and behave in incomprehensible ways.

It's all too possible she found her phone missing, panicked, and inflicted herself on the first person she saw with a phone like hers. Race, age, and gender may not even have mattered.
Tom

laughing dog

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Dogs rule
First, no one in the USA has to prove their innocence. That woman needed more than “That phone looks like mine and a couple of million others”

Second, there were a number of polite, non-accusatory approaches she could have used.

Third, the fact she tackled the kid in ftont if his parent suggests she was out if control.

Fourth, the hotel employee also has better approaches/ options than he choose.

I would hope this woman would make a sincere apology for her behavior snd accusations.

Reactions: jab

Toni

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
First, no one in the USA has to prove their innocence. That woman needed more than “That phone looks like mine and a couple of million others”

Second, there were a number of polite, non-accusatory approaches she could have used.

Third, the fact she tackled the kid in ftont if his parent suggests she was out if control.

Fourth, the hotel employee also has better approaches/ options than he choose.

I would hope this woman would make a sincere apology for her behavior snd accusations.

Oh, yeah: not using polite approaches or tackling a kid (or anyone) not actively in commission of a crime (I'd be ok with tackling someone who had just grabbed someone's backpack and made a run for it, for example)--that's really bad. My post was just about understanding how, if something has been stolen, one can be certain one 'sees' the stolen item however improbable that is. Also, we need to quit using the word Karen as proxy for racist white woman. And btw, how is it that racist white men slide right on by without their own meme/name?

Toni

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
These contrived incidents are just tedious now. It's the same format every time.

Yeah. Imagine being on the receiving end of such an accusation.

I'm sure there are at least 42 million people in the US alone who would be delighted if they could regard such incidents as 'tedious.'

zorq

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist, Moderate
I don't think anyone should feel obligated to prove their innocence. But I do think that in this situation choosing to do so would have been simultaneously fast, easy, safe, charitable to a stranger in distress, and a self beneficial alternative to enduring the continued rude pestering of that same stranger. You lose so little, and gain so much. People have been shot dead in the streets of the US for much less.

TomC

Celestial Highness
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic deist
I don't think anyone should feel obligated to prove their innocence. But I do think that in this situation choosing to do so would have been simultaneously fast, easy, safe, charitable to a stranger in distress, and a self beneficial alternative to enduring the continued rude pestering of that same stranger. You lose so little, and gain so much. People have been shot dead in the streets of the US for much less.

Pretty much this.

Instead of a ridiculous altercation, she could have asked the clerk to call her phone number. If the kid's phone rang, she'd have reason to go ballistic. If not, maybe she'd have actually found her phone.
The whole thing is stupid.
Tom

TSwizzle

Let's Go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist

But that doesn't get clicks and retweets, get the Karen meme going and the MSM to wring their hands while interviewing the outraged "victim". It's just boring now.

southernhybrid

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
The woman's behavior was wrong. The teenager owed her nothing when she made her accusation. The fact that she tried to physically assault the teen was a crime. I don't think she needs to be locked up, but community service would be a way of helping her understand that you don't go around making false accusations and physically attacking a person who you believe took your phone.

She also owes that kid an apology. How would she have felt if a young black teenager accused her of stealing his phone and then acted as nutty as she did? I'm surprised at the reaction from so many people here. I'd be mad as hell if someone accused me of stealing their phone, but then again, I've never heard of a case where a person unfairly accused and then physically attacked a little old white woman for stealing their phone. Just sayin'.

I agree with Toni that we need to stop using the term Karen to describe women who do these things. I've known some women who are named Karen and I feel sorry for them. We don't need to use a common female name as a slur. That seems juvenile to me.

Mumbles

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist

Done.

Here's the alternative: She left her phone somewhere, likely because she was fumbling around and set it aside, saw a black kid, and immediately accused the black kid of somehow "stealing" her phone, demanded he provide proof that it's not her phone, and assaulted him when he walked away.

That's makes her look every bit as bad as if she were planning on grabbing his phone and walking off with it.

No, he didn't. As has been pointed out, she'd likely accuse him of hiding "her" phone, or grabbed the phone from him, leading to many of the same people denouncing him here whining about how awful it is that she was "attacked" for trying to steal his phone - along with a possible arrest, beating, getting kicked out of the hotel, and so on, as we've seen many, many times before

In reality, the kid's father was right - she could easily call her own phone, or use a website or app to find it for her. *That* would positively identify her phone, and likely provide an audio tone to track (which many finder apps do even when the phone is set to vibrate or to silent)

One party made a false accusation, yes. But I still object to your insistence that it was unfounded. WE DON'T KNOW HER REASONS! Your insistence that reasons must be "damn good" to justify an accusation isn't an objective (or well defined) standard. And there are still scenarios in which she still could (wrongly) have "damn good" reason to suspect the kid has her phone. Here's one that is completely unlikely but entirely plausible: The kid is clumsy and drops his phone near or maybe even inside the woman's partially unattended and open purse/handbag. The woman turns and notices the boy retrieve the phone which has a passing resemblance to her own phone and then comes to the obvious conclusion that she just witnessed her phone being stolen before her very eyes.

Why are people here so adverse to helping out a confused stranger especially when it benefits YOU as well in an instant and tangible way?

Why bother "helping out" someone who, in any reasonable view, is a violently belligerent racist?

ruby sparks

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist

I agree.

Plus, now the boy (because of the Dad, as far as I can see) may have to go through a messy litigation process and possibly even appear in court. It all seems a bit unnecessary.

That said, obviously, an African American may have cause to at least suspect and object to certain things that I, a non-African American, do not have to suspect or object to. For that reason, I can't harshly judge the Dad either, from the comfort of my living room. And he was within his rights. And the woman should definitely and publicly apologise.

But, imo, show the woman the phone, then ask for (or insist on) an apology. Possibly then, if you're feeling generous, even see if you can help her find her phone. Or if you're not feeling generous, just insist on the apology and if you like, give her a little piece of your mind about accusing people of stuff they didn't do.

thebeave

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
I saw this last night on The CBS Evening News. Given what's going on in the world these days, why does a minor, everyday incident like this get such attention? There is no evidence that I've seen that this has anything to do with racism, yet a big deal is made of the fact that its a white person being aggressive to a black person. Sometimes people are just assholes....to anyone and everyone. Plus, there's no shortage of similar incidents where a black person unreasonably gives a white person a hard time over something relatively minor. Yet when was the last time you saw that on the national news? Its pretty obvious the media has a narrative to sell, but what's to be gained by that? It seems their goal is to sow discord between the races, specifically making white people out to be nothing but a bunch of bullies to blacks, and blacks always the innocent victims of white hatred. How does this help race relations? Blacks are made to feel threatened by whites and whites feel they're being unfairly demonized. I'm so fucking disgusted by the lack of objectivity and balance in the media these days.

ruby sparks

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
I saw this last night on The CBS Evening News. Given what's going on in the world these days, why does a minor, everyday incident like this get such attention? There is no evidence that I've seen that this has anything to do with racism, yet a big deal is made of the fact that its a white person being aggressive to a black person. Sometimes people are just assholes....to anyone and everyone. Plus, there's no shortage of similar incidents where a black person unreasonably gives a white person a hard time over something relatively minor. Yet when was the last time you saw that on the national news? Its pretty obvious the media has a narrative to sell, but what's to be gained by that? It seems their goal is to sow discord between the races, specifically making white people out to be nothing but a bunch of bullies to blacks, and blacks always the innocent victims of white hatred. How does this help race relations? Blacks are made to feel threatened by whites and whites feel they're being unfairly demonized. I'm so fucking disgusted by the lack of objectivity and balance in the media these days.

I agree the media has a (race) narrative. The Dad also has a (race) narrative. Now his lawyer has a (race) narrative.

In the current hyper-sensitive climate, stuff like this gets attention. I'm not even saying it's a bad thing. One could make a case that this sort of thing needs to be both called out and reacted to in exactly the way the Dad reacted to it.

However, it may or may not have involved racism. One could suspect it might have.

laughing dog

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Dogs rule
I saw this last night on The CBS Evening News. Given what's going on in the world these days, why does a minor, everyday incident like this get such attention? There is no evidence that I've seen that this has anything to do with racism, yet a big deal is made of the fact that its a white person being aggressive to a black person. Sometimes people are just assholes....to anyone and everyone. Plus, there's no shortage of similar incidents where a black person unreasonably gives a white person a hard time over something relatively minor. Yet when was the last time you saw that on the national news? Its pretty obvious the media has a narrative to sell, but what's to be gained by that?
It was probably a slow news day.
It seems their goal is to sow discord between the races, specifically making white people out to be nothing but a bunch of bullies to blacks, and blacks always the innocent victims of white hatred. How does this help race relations? Blacks are made to feel threatened by whites and whites feel they're being unfairly demonized.
How would any rational person feel demonized by this incident? Really, get a grip
I'm so fucking disgusted by the lack of objectivity and balance in the media these days.
I am not surprised at all.

TSwizzle

Let's Go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
These contrived incidents are just tedious now. It's the same format every time.

I'm sure there are at least 42 million people in the US alone who would be delighted if they could regard such incidents as 'tedious.'

Karen stories are not national news.

Derec

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist

Bullshit! #BelieveWomen is about demanding that women be automatically believed no matter the evidence.
Prime example being Crystal Magnum's false accusations. Not only the media and this forum, but the victims' own university (Duke) took the false accuser's side. Of course, Magnum had the fortune of having both race and gender on her side. This Karen only had one advantage in the progressive stack.

Terrell

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
socially liberal/libertarian on most issues, but not all.
Charge her, for tackling the teen. Hold her accountable, legally, for her actions, and apply the law the same way as any other adult. IMO the false charge should carry an additional charge, but AFAIK the law doesn't cover this. Send the video to her employer if possible.

Trausti

Deleted

Karen stories are not national news.

If they’re White they are; no matter how trivial. That’s the point. We’re living in a Tom Wolfe novel.

TSwizzle

Let's Go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Charge her, for tackling the teen. Hold her accountable, legally, for her actions, and apply the law the same way as any other adult. IMO the false charge should carry an additional charge, but AFAIK the law doesn't cover this. Send the video to her employer if possible.

Tar and feather her, then have her run through the streets naked chased by a pack of dogs !! That will her learn her !

Terrell

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs

Tar and feather her, then have her run through the streets naked chased by a pack of dogs !! That will her learn her !

What's wrong with her facing legal & professional consequences for unacceptable behavior?

laughing dog

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Dogs rule

Bullshit! #BelieveWomen is about demanding that women be automatically believed no matter the evidence.
Prime example being Crystal Magnum's false accusations. Not only the media and this forum, but the victims' own university (Duke) took the false accuser's side. Of course, Magnum had the fortune of having both race and gender on her side. This Karen only had one advantage in the progressive stack.
Your example proves the point - the accusation was about rape. #BelieveWomen is about believing the story in order to verify it.

GenesisNemesis

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Secular Humanist, Scientific Skepticism, Strong Atheism
I thought conservatives were about "law and order". False accusation of a crime is itself a crime. Therefore this person should be locked up for falsely accusing someone of a crime.

TSwizzle

Let's Go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist

What's wrong with her facing legal & professional consequences for unacceptable behavior?

The Karen Law ! I like it.

Terrell

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs

The Karen Law ! I like it.

There are already laws on the books against physical violence against other people outside of legal justification. Why not apply them? You haven't given a good reason to exempt her from the legal or social consequences for her behavior.

Top Bottom