• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

So, How's That Rapture Going?

Ford

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Just don't knock on my door on a Saturday Morning
18 years ago I had a very long conversation with a very sincere young Christian man who was very much convinced that the time we were living in (a couple years before the Millennium) was pretty much all she wrote for humanity.

The Anti-Christ was alive and well (in France, if I remember correctly) and in short order President Bill Clinton was going to usher in the Armageddon, leading to the return of one Jesus H. Christ.

I've lost touch with this young man to put it mildly, but I wonder if anyone else has kept in touch with those who insisted that the year 2000 would herald the Second Coming, and how they've managed to cope with the lack of Biblical fulfillment.

I mean, what's the response when your Savior fails to materialize on your schedule?

Are you saying Jesus is on dealer time?

No, the "young man" the OP was referring to was saying that. The question is, "what are they saying now that they are demonstratedly wrong" (as usual)?

Exactly.

The guy I was talking to back then would be middle aged now...mid 40s for sure. He figured (and had ample Bible reasoning to back it up) that the Rapture would come before he hit 30.

I wonder if he now thinks he was wrong, or if he's still thinking the Return 'O Jesus is just around the corner.

18 years ago I had a very long conversation with a very sincere young Christian man who was very much convinced that the time we were living in (a couple years before the Millennium) was pretty much all she wrote for humanity.

The Anti-Christ was alive and well (in France, if I remember correctly) and in short order President Bill Clinton was going to usher in the Armageddon, leading to the return of one Jesus H. Christ.

I've lost touch with this young man to put it mildly, but I wonder if anyone else has kept in touch with those who insisted that the year 2000 would herald the Second Coming, and how they've managed to cope with the lack of Biblical fulfillment.

I mean, what's the response when your Savior fails to materialize on your schedule?
I think it's kinda like the lady inside my Garmin anytime I stop off during a trip: "Recalculating". This seems to be the method, just pick a new date. Maybe Jesus stopped off at the Holiday Inn Express. It could be awhile in great big Jesus time.

I used to use Jesus H. Christ as an exclamation. If anyone asked what the "H" stood for I would tell them Julio.

Are you saying Jesus is on dealer time?

No, the "young man" the OP was referring to was saying that. The question is, "what are they saying now that they are demonstratedly wrong" (as usual)?

No, no, no. I meant that that is the response that the person would give. On a side note, I totally get the feeling that the last thing you said is a deliberate meta-joke about certain people usually misinterpreting what I say.

If I was a miser, I would hide what I interpret within myself, and be a deliberate misinterpreter.

If Christians weren't able to resolve this bit of cognitive dissonance, Christianity would have dried up and blown away centuries ago. I'm sure your friend is still convinced that the second coming will happen any moment now, just as Christians have believed ever since Jesus originally promised that it would happen within the lifespans of those who knew him in the flesh.

If Christians weren't able to resolve this bit of cognitive dissonance, Christianity would have dried up and blown away centuries ago. I'm sure your friend is still convinced that the second coming will happen any moment now, just as Christians have believed ever since Jesus originally promised that it would happen within the lifespans of those who knew him in the flesh.

This. They just shrug and say "No one knows the time or day" and "Jesus isn't on our schedule" and that easily does away with any deadlines.

This. They just shrug and say "No one knows the time or day" and "Jesus isn't on our schedule" and that easily does away with any deadlines.

I'm working on gospel time these days...

"Almost Gothic" -- Steely Dan

I think that means 'not actually working'.

Back
Top Bottom