• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Social Security Disability

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Don't be a dick.
Okay, so my back is done for. I've got several fractured vertebrae in the thoracic region and osteoporosis. My job involved a lot of heavy lifting and my doctor say no more heavy lifting due to the very real possibility of more fractures. I'm in constant pain, sometimes quite severe, and sometimes I get sudden spasms that feel like someone just whacked me in my back with a baseball bat, literally doubling me over in pain, with no warning of it coming.

I need to apply for SS disability benefits. I've heard that virtually all first applications are denied without much thought, but also read that fractures are on a "white list" of approved conditions.

Any advice on how to get through the application-to-approval process as smoothly and quickly as possible?

Okay, so my back is done for. I've got several fractured vertebrae in the thoracic region and osteoporosis. My job involved a lot of heavy lifting and my doctor say no more heavy lifting due to the very real possibility of more fractures. I'm in constant pain, sometimes quite severe, and sometimes I get sudden spasms that feel like someone just whacked me in my back with a baseball bat, literally doubling me over in pain, with no warning of it coming.

I need to apply for SS disability benefits. I've heard that virtually all first applications are denied without much thought, but also read that fractures are on a "white list" of approved conditions.

Any advice on how to get through the application-to-approval process as smoothly and quickly as possible?

1) My understanding is that if you have a single diagnosis that renders you unable to work you'll get approved, otherwise you'll get a denial and have to appeal.

2) Note that social security disability requires that you not be able to do any work. Not being able to do what you normally do doesn't qualify--not being able to do heavy lifting doesn't mean you couldn't do some sort of desk job.

1) My understanding is that if you have a single diagnosis that renders you unable to work you'll get approved, otherwise you'll get a denial and have to appeal.

2) Note that social security disability requires that you not be able to do any work. Not being able to do what you normally do doesn't qualify--not being able to do heavy lifting doesn't mean you couldn't do some sort of desk job.

Sitting isn't good for the back. Full time sitting or standing may be too much.

You can work on disability, if you earn little enough and work fewer hours than the limit.

And there is temporary as well as permanent disability.

And - it takes three months to kick in.

If they turn you down, try your congressman. If your doctor is behind you, you should have a decent chance.

1.04 Disorders of the spine (e.g., herniated nucleus pulposus, spinal arachnoiditis, spinal stenosis, osteoarthritis, degenerative disc disease, facet arthritis, vertebral fracture), resulting in compromise of a nerve root (including the cauda equina) or the spinal cord. With:

A. Evidence of nerve root compression characterized by neuro-anatomic distribution of pain, limitation of motion of the spine, motor loss (atrophy with associated muscle weakness or muscle weakness) accompanied by sensory or reflex loss and, if there is involvement of the lower back, positive straight-leg raising test (sitting and supine);

OR

B. Spinal arachnoiditis, confirmed by an operative note or pathology report of tissue biopsy, or by appropriate medically acceptable imaging, manifested by severe burning or painful dysesthesia, resulting in the need for changes in position or posture more than once every 2 hours;

or

C. Lumbar spinal stenosis resulting in pseudoclaudication, established by findings on appropriate medically acceptable imaging, manifested by chronic nonradicular pain and weakness, and resulting in inability to ambulate effectively, as defined in 1.00B2b.

https://www.ssa.gov/disability/professionals/bluebook/1.00-Musculoskeletal-Adult.htm#1_04

This is not entirely accurate. It does not mean a person has to be unable to any work. If that were the case, only paraplegics would qualify.

A person must be unable to do any work they were qualified to do, before their disability. A person's education and location are also factors. A manual laborer who can no longer lift a shovel full of dirt would qualify, even if he is physically able to be a bank teller.

This is not entirely accurate. It does not mean a person has to be unable to any work. If that were the case, only paraplegics would qualify.

A person must be unable to do any work they were qualified to do, before their disability. A person's education and location are also factors. A manual laborer who can no longer lift a shovel full of dirt would qualify, even if he is physically able to be a bank teller.

Because the manual laborer doesn't know how to be a bank teller. Being physically able to do it doesn't mean they have the training--it's not something they can do.

Because the manual laborer doesn't know how to be a bank teller. Being physically able to do it doesn't mean they have the training--it's not something they can do.

A bank teller's job would fall into the category of "any work." What's your point?

Just to let you know, sitting or standing gets fairly painful after about two hours.

Doctor gave me a script for Vicodin. Only took it once. Was sick as a dog that night and most of the next day. Trying to stick to Tylenol and Naproxen sodium. Was taking ibuprophen which worked fairly well but really, really screwed up my blood pressure. Ended up in the ED with a BP of 210/190. Doctors thought I was going to have a stroke right there in front of them. My regular doc told me to stop the IB and my BP was back to normal in three days.

apply first without attorney.
if you get denied you have the option of self representation or an attorney.
the attorney takes a portion of your back pay. (30%??)
back pay starts the day they receive your application and ends with approval or when you don't reapply before the deadline after you were denied.
if you miss a deadline they don't care and the process starts over even if your disability caused you to miss the deadline, I guess they figure an attorney could have handled it for you...
they won't award any benefits until you are approved so the money isn't yours until they award it.
30% of back pay isn't really an issue if a person needs benefits in the future.
and it takes a long time, 1 year to several if you mess around with your denials or can't prove you are eligible for benefits to the judge.
2 cents...

A bank teller's job would fall into the category of "any work." What's your point?

They don't count jobs you don't have the training for.

Egad man. Hope for the best with your condition. It doesn't sound like it is going to be easy to deal with over the long haul. Hope all the paper work goes through, with no problems.

Just let him have it. He thinks he made a crucial point.

Back
Top Bottom