• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

South Carolina police officer investigated after slamming student to ground at Spring Valley High

That SRO was not disciplined. Out-of-control violence from the SRO is not installing discipline.

Anyone who mistakes extreme violence for "discipline" should never be around children of any age.

True. And anyone who mistakes the aggressive use of physical force in the removal of a child or youth as being "out of control extreme violence" should not be raising difficult children, or teaching in many of America's classrooms. You, and some others, seem to be stuck in an incurable pathological empathy that filters and warps the ordinary reality many face.

So this an area of curiosity for me. Maxparrish, I don't know if you have kids. Do you? I don't know if you were ever a troubled teen. Were you? I have no idea if you are a teacher. Are you?

It makes me curious becuase several of us have said that we are parents. Some of us with behaviorally challenging kids. Some have said they grew up in high crime areas. Some of us are teachers, aides, substitutes and tutors for these challenging kids.

Now, I know Loren has no kids and is not a teacher. I know Derec has no kids and is not a teacher. I don't know about you.

But I am curious. Of all of those who think this kind of behavior from teh cop is correct, I haven't detected a single one for sure who actually deals with teens, especially difficult ones. With the sole exception of Trausti whop says he attended just such a school. But then, so did others of us who disagree with Trausti. So that's still open discussion.

But the others, I'm just trying to figure out what you are using as background to decide you know the only behavior that works on teens in the face of others who actually deal with teens saying something else works.

I say, I deal with teens and have some experience with troubled ones, I say that I've _been_ that teen, and I think other methods work because I have seen it work. Others say the same, and that they teach and tutor as well.

And you say, "no you're wrong that doesn't work."
And I am asking, what makes you feel justified in contradicting actual evidence?
What experience can you share that would make you believable?

You go to the point of saying we should not be raising our own kids or teaching in classrooms. And yet we are. Are you, also?

So it seems like this is what really happened...

Girl is at new school and is a bit of a stranger so keeps to herself. Her mother is in bad health and either died just prior to this incident or just after. Her cell phone usage (perhaps checking texts or responding) could very well have had to do with some emotional support or finding out about the status of her mother.

After getting called on about using the phone in class, she may have put it away but then chooses to remain in class to learn when the teacher tells her to leave. The administrator is called in because the girl wants to learn, not leave. The girl refuses the administrator (or at least this is what I read in this thread--I haven't actually seen evidence of administrator involvement). So the administrator calls in cop to remove girl who wanted to keep her personal stuff private, move on, and learn.

Police officer tries to remove girl physically, ends up throwing her across the room. She breaks her arm and hurts her back and neck because of the police violence against her.

Typical authoritarian types are all okay with this incident because the girl was stubborn or something like that. No mention of the fact that it wasn't appropriate to bring in the police.

It would have been more appropriate to get the girl the appropriate supports, including access to a counselor and/or nurse.

So it seems like this is what really happened...

Girl is at new school and is a bit of a stranger so keeps to herself. Her mother is in bad health and either died just prior to this incident or just after. Her cell phone usage (perhaps checking texts or responding) could very well have had to do with some emotional support or finding out about the status of her mother.

After getting called on about using the phone in class, she may have put it away but then chooses to remain in class to learn when the teacher tells her to leave. The administrator is called in because the girl wants to learn, not leave. The girl refuses the administrator (or at least this is what I read in this thread--I haven't actually seen evidence of administrator involvement). So the administrator calls in cop to remove girl who wanted to keep her personal stuff private, move on, and learn.

Police officer tries to remove girl physically, ends up throwing her across the room. She breaks her arm and hurts her back and neck because of the police violence against her.

Typical authoritarian types are all okay with this incident because the girl was stubborn or something like that. No mention of the fact that it wasn't appropriate to bring in the police.

It would have been more appropriate to get the girl the appropriate supports, including access to a counselor and/or nurse.

Talking to her like she was a human being would have been a great place to start.

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps there's middle ground to be found between complete inaction and crushing skulls. Just sayin...
Reality check: her skull wasn't crushed. Not even close. But the word is, she swung at the officer. Is that ok too?

Whose word?

I posted a long video tape of the incident with no obvious editing breaks. There is nothing that looks remotely like the girl swings or does anything at all that could be considered by anyone to be at all aggressive.

That SRO was not disciplined. Out-of-control violence from the SRO is not installing discipline.

Anyone who mistakes extreme violence for "discipline" should never be around children of any age.

True. And anyone who mistakes the aggressive use of physical force in the removal of a child or youth as being "out of control extreme violence" should not be raising difficult children, or teaching in many of America's classrooms. You, and some others, seem to be stuck in an incurable pathological empathy that filters and warps the ordinary reality many face.

Look, have not those so outraged often made foundational assumptions about the facts of such events that were later proven wrong? Have not such folks also repeatedly jumped to conclusions? Yet, has any of them questioned their own knee-jerk personeas?

So why not use this as a learning opportunity? We all know of borderline personality disorder, someone mostly (or totally) unable to feel empathy. The opposite disorder is pathological empathy. Such individuals, more often females, suffer from easily triggered thoughtless bonding to weak 'sympathetic' strangers - the more pathetic, child-like and helpless, the stronger the instant empathy and bonding. And when combined with their innate and learned pathological fears of "large and strong" persons (especially primate males) and the anxiety over seeing a sudden physical confrontation, those suffering pathological empathy instantly side with the "victim" - gushing outrage and tears.

This is natural - primates always go into panic, hooting, arm waving, and making a ruckus over the unexpected "threat" and sudden physical confrontation...be it a faux leopard or large out-group primate male acting aggressively. But we are not chimps, and we should not let pathological empathy delude us as to the cause of such events, its actual "harm", or the necessity of action.

The actual reality is rather ordinary:

After using her phone, the teacher asked her to turn in her phone. The teenager refused to turn it over, prompting the teacher to bring in an administrator, who ordered the girl to get out of her seat, but to no avail. The teen, according to classmate Robinson, was apologetic and insisted (pleaded?) to the school official he should let her stay, saying she only took out (or used) her phone briefly.

Frustrated by her refusal to hand the phone over or leave, Deputy Fields was called in to the classroom to take over the situation. Robinson said the first thing the resource officer did was ask a student to move his desk. Having the space cleared, Fields shut the girl's laptop, placed it on another desk and asked her several times to move.
She refused, saying “No". "I have not done anything wrong," Robinson (classmate) recounted adding "‘Then he said, “I'm going to treat you fairly.” And she dismissed him with “I don't even know who you are.”

Since he lacked the sense or the manners to do it before hand, this would have been an excellent opportunity for the officer to act like a decent human being and a competent law enforcement officer and identify himself. I believe that law officers are trained to identify themselves.

She was new to the school. Why would she know who this guy was?

He moved quickly and forcefully, wrapping an arm around the neck and shoulders, and putting a hand under her thigh/knee to heave her from the seat. Being heavier and more thickly built than he may have anticipated, he changed direction and flips the desk backwards. She is still intertwined with the desk, and seemingly resisting. Fields robustly drags her across the slick classroom floor by her arms and leg dislodging the chair.

I saw no resistance. Nothing that looked like she was cooperating, but no active resistance.

And WTF: now you are claiming that she was fat so he had to heave her out of the seat? I mean: WTF. WTF is wrong with you. Seriously. WTF.

THAT's IT!

That's hardly IT. You are missing the part where he threw her across the room and dragged her. Even his boss found his behavior indefensible. And fired him.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2015/10/28/us/ap-us-tossed-student.html
COLUMBIA, S.C. — A deputy who flipped a disruptive student out of her desk and tossed her across her math class floor was fired on Wednesday.
Stories from Our Advertisers

The sheriff called his actions "unacceptable," and said videos recorded by her classmates show the girl posed no danger to anyone.

"What he should not have done is throw the student," Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott said. "Police officers make mistakes too. They're human and they need to be held accountable, and that's what we've done with Deputy Ben Fields."
A nothing incident among 320M people, and 100,000 schools. No night sticking, macing, tasing, or shooting. No kicking or even hitting. Just the sudden application of raw physical force to drag out a student's ass out, that's it. Nothing but a bruised ego.

He body slammed her. He dragged her. He THREW her. According to his boss. Who actually watched ALL of the available video recordings.
So what is the REAL problem? The real problem is pathological empathic disordered. We see uncontrollable primate melodrama : a hyper empathized identification with "a weak victim" of the troop (a "young girl" ), the instant knee-jerk hatred of "the other" as a strong authority ("the male primate brute"), and an egg shell thin dainty fear of any sudden physicality as "extreme violence".

WTF.

This behavior would have been beyond the ken if the student had been a white football player, although I doubt the officer would have attempted to throw him about the room and drag him around if the student had been near his size.

That behavior would have been unacceptable in ANY situation where there was no danger to other people, which the sheriff who viewed all of the videos and FIRED the officer claimed it was obvious that no one else was in any danger.

The student was, though. From the police officer.

Sadly, such pathology does not care if she caused it, she earned it, or if it was necessary for any purpose. The mob hysteria even spreads to the FBI as worthy of an official investigation, and the only thing we lack is a Bonfire of the Vanities Reverend Bacon (Al Sharpton) and cynical politicians calling for "Justice" for a bruised and indigent ego of some teen in some school.

The only pathology I see is yours and that of others of your ilk.

People should not be outraged, they should be embarrassed.

People should be outraged and ashamed. Deeply ashamed.

Talking to her like she was a human being would have been a great place to start.

Absolutely. But I guess trying to talk to someone instead of resorting to violence is called "pathological empathic disordered." But I shouldn't be surprised. max also supported torture of Muslims in Gitmo and elsewhere.

No, you are wrong. According to this article, "She now has a cast on her arm, she has neck and back injuries," http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/10/28/us-south-carolina-police-idUSKCN0SM1N120151028

A broken arm isn't nothing.
Your disregard for the health of children is noted. If you really cared about her health maybe you would have actually checked the facts before spouting your own bs that you wish were the facts.

This is especially comical in a post where you accuse others of "making foundation assumptions about the facts" that are later proven wrong. You crack me up.

Extreme pathological empathy is a debilitating disorder, turning an otherwise intelligent person in purely unemotional situations into a raging and irrational emoter. Letting your out-of-control "feelings" manage your cognition may persuade yourself, influence others, and pleasingly distort reality but how you feel about an outcome is irrelevant; irrationality always clouds judgment and distorts reasoning. In short, it makes a person stupid.

For example, might it have occurred to you that having a cast and claim of neck and back injuries might be fake - a scam to punish and sue the school or police for her bruised ego? Might it be a bit of ambulance chasing, the proverbial and the commonly faked 'neck brace' for anyone rear end bumped at 1 mph or more? Did your emotions allow you to soberly think of it as a possibility? No?

Did your emotions even let you read the article as written, or did your brain distort and warp it to please your emotional needs? Lets see what it said about the incident and injuries:

The teacher and administrator who witnessed the encounter felt Fields acted appropriately, Lott (the Police Chief) said.

"They had no problems with the physical part," Lott said. "I’m the one who had a problem with it."

Supporters of the deputy voiced their displeasure over his firing under the hashtag #IStandWithBenFields on social media, countering an earlier #AssaultAtSpringValleyHigh hashtag that trended within hours of the incident.

Lott said the girl was not hurt but her lawyer told ABC's Good Morning America she suffered injuries after being "brutally attacked."

"She now has a cast on her arm, she has neck and back injuries," said lawyer Todd Rutherford, who also serves as minority leader in the state's House of Representatives. "She has a Band-Aid on her forehead where she suffered rug burn."

Two takeaways for those with a grip on reality: 1)contrary to your distortion, the article DID NOT say she was injured, it said her politician lawyer said it. 2) The article also said that the Police Chief who fired the officer said that she had no injuries; given that she was arrested and booked, and never treated while in custody, how likely is it that she really had a broken arm? Do you know how painful a typical broken arm is?

So absent a medical report and x-rays, there is no reason to assume she had significant injuries. The "word" of anyone's lawyer (that may have sent her to his own house 'doctor' to claim an injury) is dubious...at best. A dress-up for a suit, I suspect.

Well, you should be embarassed. I'll understand if you aren't embarrassed or outraged though. Authoritarian types have never been known to care much about the welfare of the common people.

Who cares enough to have enforceable rules so classes are not constantly disrupted? Or is teaching in an orderly classroom full of non-disruptive students "hostile" to the welfare of the common people? Hmmmm?

So there is a TYT video saying in the headline: "Body Slamming Cop Fired, Sheriff Still Blames Victim".

I think that a word I just heard explained yesterday, Essentialism, kind of gets to the root of this. From the way it was explained it is kind of like seeing things as only one thing a being blind to continuums.

Backing up, this cop is a jackass, and even if that push off/punch from her landed on him that is no excuse to possibly break her neck or arm with that chair stunt.

But, I don't understand exactly how people react or should react to a person who has committed a legitimate offense but has been treated with brutality by authorities. In some way, in a small society it should almost be a get out of jail free charge.

Extreme pathological empathy is a debilitating disorder, turning an otherwise intelligent person in purely unemotional situations into a raging and irrational emoter. Letting your out-of-control "feelings" manage your cognition may persuade yourself, influence others, and pleasingly distort reality but how you feel about an outcome is irrelevant; irrationality always clouds judgment and distorts reasoning. In short, it makes a person stupid.

For example, might it have occurred to you that having a cast and claim of neck and back injuries might be fake - a scam to punish and sue the school or police for her bruised ego? Might it be a bit of ambulance chasing, the proverbial and the commonly faked 'neck brace' for anyone rear end bumped at 1 mph or more? Did your emotions allow you to soberly think of it as a possibility? No?

Did your emotions even let you read the article as written, or did your brain distort and warp it to please your emotional needs? Lets see what it said about the incident and injuries:

The teacher and administrator who witnessed the encounter felt Fields acted appropriately, Lott (the Police Chief) said.

"They had no problems with the physical part," Lott said. "I’m the one who had a problem with it."

Supporters of the deputy voiced their displeasure over his firing under the hashtag #IStandWithBenFields on social media, countering an earlier #AssaultAtSpringValleyHigh hashtag that trended within hours of the incident.

Lott said the girl was not hurt but her lawyer told ABC's Good Morning America she suffered injuries after being "brutally attacked."

"She now has a cast on her arm, she has neck and back injuries," said lawyer Todd Rutherford, who also serves as minority leader in the state's House of Representatives. "She has a Band-Aid on her forehead where she suffered rug burn."

Two takeaways for those with a grip on reality: 1)contrary to your distortion, the article DID NOT say she was injured, it said her politician lawyer said it. 2) The article also said that the Police Chief who fired the officer said that she had no injuries; given that she was arrested and booked, and never treated while in custody, how likely is it that she really had a broken arm? Do you know how painful a typical broken arm is?

So absent a medical report and x-rays, there is no reason to assume she had significant injuries. The "word" of anyone's lawyer (that may have sent her to his own house 'doctor' to claim an injury) is dubious...at best. A dress-up for a suit, I suspect.
True, the lawyer could be lying and exagerating, but it is also true that the chief of police could be wrong or lying himself. Either way, I think you know that the attack appears brutal enough that it could have resulted in the injuries described which is exactly why you are hedging now and insisting on waiting for a medical report and x-rays. I'll wait with you and we'll see if she was seriously hurt together. In the meantime, your insistence on scare quotes around the words "brutal attack" are called into question. Looking like a duck and what not, we'll see if it quacks like a duck eventually... unless they settle out of court.
Well, you should be embarassed. I'll understand if you aren't embarrassed or outraged though. Authoritarian types have never been known to care much about the welfare of the common people.

Who cares enough to have enforceable rules so classes are not constantly disrupted? Or is teaching in an orderly classroom full of non-disruptive students "hostile" to the welfare of the common people? Hmmmm?
How can you not notice that we all care about that. Seriously. We care. The difference isn't that I want disorderly classrooms and you don't. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The difference is that I just don't think assaulting and throwing students around is the best way to teach an "orderly" classroom. It's a self-contradiction to me.

Update:
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2015/10/28/us/ap-us-tossed-student.html?_r=0
Article said:
Asked about the discrepancy, Lott said officers at the scene and school administrators hadn't told him about any injuries, and "what she had once she obtained an attorney is a different matter."
The chief of police assumed the student didn't have any injuries because nobody told him about them. He then implies that the injuries only materialized once she found representation.

Last edited:

So you and Loren have this club, huh? No, no: not that one. The one where you decide anyone who disagrees with your particular point does so only because they are overly emotional (women) or suffering from pathology (regular folk: men). You just think that dressing it up in fancy terminology gives it--and you--credence. Talk about delusional.

Yeah, I see pathology at work in this thread, too. I also see an absolute failure to actually view video, including the multiple videos in an article I linked. I am certain there are dozens of such articles out now, with dozens of links. I doubt that it matters to you or to Loren. You won't read them, view videos and if you do, you will decide that they have been 'edited' to 'prove' that she swung at him and other right wing foolery because even you might feel a tiny bit of emotion at a full grown man who is in uniform, having taken a job to serve and protect people manhandles a 16 year old, wraps his arm around her neck, jerks her from her chair, throws her across the room and drags her.

I suppose it is possible that even for you, that might be a little too much. Better come up with some lame ass theory to allow you to discredit any emotion you might feel at such a blatant abuse of authority and reason. Call it a pathology. Pretend that any 'rational' person would see it all for justified law enforcement techniques and a lot of pathology on the part of any one who has an ounce of sympathy.

Just don't think that the rest of us do not see exactly what you are about. Dispassionately. Completely without emotion.

Do your emotions--and please: do not try to deny that you are viewing any of this rationally or dispassionately--allow YOU to read articles? View interviews with witnesses? Actually use your reasoning powers?

Or do you instead cling to your right wing authoritarian default that allows you to skip completely over the thinking and reasoning part of your brain and leap straight to supporting whatever authority figures you can cling to because the real world is too scary for you to contemplate?

Or is it something else? Is she faking because she's female or because she's black? Or is it one of those double down things I hear so much about?

I am sure that the teacher and administrator had no problem with the way things were handled. I hope they lose their jobs. At least there is one actual adult who has some authority regarding the police officer's inappropriate and criminal behavior.

Hitler had a lot of supporters too.

Even news casters on Fox outlets were terming it a brutal attack.

How shocking that a cast didn't magically appear on her arm at the moment of the incident or that back and neck injuries were not immediately apparent. We ALL know how good a job police do at assessing injuries of prisoners and that no one ever, ever, ever dies in custody because they were not given appropriate medical attention following an 'encounter' with police.

Actually, I know how painful bone breaks can be. I also know at least two family members who showed very little pain but had breaks: one in the arm, one in the leg. The leg was never even casted because that family member didn't tell anyone he was in pain. The other case: the x-ray techs were sure the arm wasn't broken because of the lack of pain indicated and only performed the xray at the insistence of the parents and were shocked to see the break the parents knew was there due to the nature of the fall.

Speaking of casts: where do you think she got one? Are the doctors now in on this 'sham?' Or do you think that perhaps they had her x-rayed and examined by competent medical professionals?

Where are you getting this bullshit? Some cheap movie plot? Some bad tv show?

Get a grip on reality.

Her fellow students didn't find her disruptive. The only person being violent and throwing people around were the 'authority' figures. And yes, I do think that witnessing that behavior will affect their learning.

The little, feral bitch and her shyster lawyers probably made up the dead mother too.

Max,

How is empathy a disorder? At what exact level is it disorder?

Other than not seeing things YOUR WAY, what are the psychological and physiological characteristic and symptoms of Extreme pathological empathy? Where might one find it listed in the DSM-IV or DSM-V?

So, did her mother really die? and was she new at school?
I am not trying to excuse her refusal to leave the class but if that info is correct then teachers really at fault here.
They should have given her a break even without problems in the family. So this is an actual abuse of case of zero tolerance policy. Unlike that ahmed the clockboy case.

A school with no discipline is not an institution of learning, thus why have it at all?

Discipline.

Kid had phone.

Tell kid to put phone away.

Kid doesn't put phone away.

Hand kid detention slip and keep on with lesson.

I went to parochial school with uniforms and nuns and whatnot. Discipline was tight. That school dropped corporal punishment in the 1950s.

I certainly never saw anyone lay a hand on a student because the student was talking out of turn, passing note, being mouthy, etc... and we had some real dumbfucks that had been expelled from public schools.

So, did her mother really die? and was she new at school?
I am not trying to excuse her refusal to leave the class but if that info is correct then teachers really at fault here.
They should have given her a break even without problems in the family. So this is an actual abuse of case of zero tolerance policy. Unlike that ahmed the clockboy case.

I'm waiting to find that out, too. I'm withholding acceptance of those facts until they are verified, right now it's really just hearsay. But if they are true this takes on a whole new dimension of awful.

But it was awful before, even if she were _not_ new to the school grieving, or injured from the event. It's already awful.

If you add in any of those, it just adds to the stark lesson of why you just don't ever go overboard in the first place. Because in addition to being incompetent, you might also be acting like a douchebag.

A school with no discipline is not an institution of learning, thus why have it at all?

Discipline.

Kid had phone.

Yup, it really is exactly that easy.
You _tell_ them of the consequences right away, but you don't have to implement them instantly. They know it's coming.

I went to parochial school with uniforms and nuns and whatnot. Discipline was tight. That school dropped corporal punishment in the 1950s.

I certainly never saw anyone lay a hand on a student because the student was talking out of turn, passing note, being mouthy, etc... and we had some real dumbfucks that had been expelled from public schools.

I was expelled from one school and served detention every day for months including saturday mornings in another. Being publicly manhandled would only have made things worse and would have made me a martyr in the eyes of others instead of an annoyance.

Discipline.

Kid had phone.

[/thread]

All that could possibly be added is that if the security guard did anything at all it should have been to snatch the phone from her hand and tell her she needs to get it back from the principals office... AFTER she has served her detention, of course.

If you have to body slam a teenager because she's not obeying your instructions, it's because you're a small pathetic person who can't handle threats to your authority. Policework is NOT for you.

Max,

How is empathy a disorder? At what exact level is it disorder?

Other than not seeing things YOUR WAY, what are the psychological and physiological characteristic and symptoms of Extreme pathological empathy? Where might one find it listed in the DSM-IV or DSM-V?
Silly Athena, these disorders are not found in tge DSM because it is written by Liberal college professors that work for the government. Pathologic Empathy Disorder is a liberal disease that causes them to attempt to do good to the point of taking action

Extreme pathological empathy
Is not a real thing, but the desire to claim it is -- and the attempt to claim that empathizing with others is irrational and "distorts reality" -- could be a sign of sociopathy.

Who cares enough to have enforceable rules so classes are not constantly disrupted?
That would be the administrator who writes the suspension notice to the student, informing her that because she was belligerent and uncooperative in class yesterday she cannot return to class for three days. The same administrator who later expels same student for repeated infractions of the same type.

In a choice between an annoying girl who is staring at her cell phone and having a cop come in and bodyslam one of my students, the latter is FAR more disruptive than the former.

Back
Top Bottom