• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Special Ed Student Charged for Recording Bullies

In my experience, many school admins, when confronted with a problem with a chronic victim, find it easier to try and get rid of the victim.
The needs of the many outweigh those of the few, or the one.

So the question is whether the police involved have some connection to the bullies (say like one of them is a cop's kid) or maybe they're just really good friends with someone who comes out of that recording looking like an ass, like the teacher for instance, or if they're just so hideously fucking stupid they honestly can't tell the difference between a criminal and a victim.

So the question is whether the police involved have some connection to the bullies (say like one of them is a cop's kid) or maybe they're just really good friends with someone who comes out of that recording looking like an ass, like the teacher for instance, or if they're just so hideously fucking stupid they honestly can't tell the difference between a criminal and a victim.
Bullying probably isn't a crime in PA. The teen that recorded the bullies was apparently the only one who broke the law, though it could very easily be argued that there is no reason why he should know that was against the law in the first place.

In my experience, many school admins, when confronted with a problem with a chronic victim, find it easier to try and get rid of the victim.
The needs of the many outweigh those of the few, or the one.

Yup, it's easier to make the victims shut up than deal with the bullies. This one made it easy by recording in a two-party state. (The feds should make one-party the law of the land!)

Bullying probably isn't a crime in PA. The teen that recorded the bullies was apparently the only one who broke the law, though it could very easily be argued that there is no reason why he should know that was against the law in the first place.

That none of the laws being broken include the word "bullying" is perfectly meaningless.

And if this kid had shot and killed the bullies off school grounds, he'd be a hero.

And if this kid had shot and killed the bullies off school grounds, he'd be a hero.

I wouldn't go that far.

Unless the bullies are black. There's always a contingent of people who are willing to make killing a black kid into a tale of heroism.

"Bullying" is not a crime. Shoving and tripping is a crime; it's assault and battery. There's some kind of meta-irony going on where video showing illegal acts leads to a criminal conviction....of the person who documented the illegal acts.

Whilst I am not surprised the school did nothing about the bullies, it takes an especial kind of moral depravity for the State to re-victimise a victim. I'm reminded of Islamic theocracies that punish women and men for being raped.

Stumbled across this this morning. I wonder how claiming "expectation of privacy" matches with schools that put cameras everywhere.

http://www.vocativ.com/culture/society/special-ed-student-recorded-bullies-accused-felony-wiretapping/

I used to work IT for a national private investigator. I was part of a group license that sort of technically made me a private investigator, but I did go through the training and take the tests to get a proper license in two different states.

While I do think that in this case the bullies should have been punished more and more severely than the kid who made the recordings, the laws that govern reasonable expectation of privacy are very important in the United States, particularly as they pertain to private citizens and corporations such as national private investigator firms. As I understand it, the law does not distinguish between private citizens such as these bullies and private corporations such as the investigative firm I used to work for. Relax the laws to deal with these bullies, and private investigators gain more access to your private life in the course of their investigations.

The particulars of the relevant laws vary from state to state (welcome to life in America), but please do not downplay the importance of these laws. When I investigated people for workman's comp. fraud, there were all kinds of restrictions on what I could and could not do in the course of one of those investigations, and most of those restrictions stemmed from the reasonable expectation of privacy standard and related laws.

I used to work IT for a national private investigator. I was part of a group license that sort of technically made me a private investigator, but I did go through the training and take the tests to get a proper license in two different states.

While I do think that in this case the bullies should have been punished more and more severely than the kid who made the recordings, the laws that govern reasonable expectation of privacy are very important in the United States, particularly as they pertain to private citizens and corporations such as national private investigator firms. As I understand it, the law does not distinguish between private citizens such as these bullies and private corporations such as the investigative firm I used to work for. Relax the laws to deal with these bullies, and private investigators gain more access to your private life in the course of their investigations.
This bullies were engaging in illegal behavior in public: there was no expectation of privacy. Somehow, I think reasonable well-meaning responsible adults could have dealt with this situation in a manner where the outcome was that the victim gets arrested.

T

This bullies were engaging in illegal behavior in public: there was no expectation of privacy. Somehow, I think reasonable well-meaning responsible adults could have dealt with this situation in a manner where the outcome was that the victim gets arrested.

T

Yeah, I have real difficulties with the idea that you can have a reasonable expectation of privacy regarding the crime you're committing in front of 30 or so witnesses.

Back
Top Bottom