• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Syria bombings.

4321lynx

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Almost 24 hours after the fact and still no comment here about the bombing?

Why?

No one has any opinion?

This Forum too anti-Obama to praise his actions?

People too scared to say what they think, remembering the debacle of Bush's "Mission Accomplished"?

Here goes then.

Well done Obama and the USA. High time to do what you are doing. Keep it up.

People probably don't know what it means yet.

Althought it is just the right time for jumping to conclusions and conspironoia. I hope that's not what you are aiming for. I rather sit back, watch, and expect the usual expert anaylses, instead of "Oh my goodness, what now??".

What is happening will most certainly change the balance of power in Syria, perhaps even in Iraq. Other than that, nothing much more can be said along the lines of sober comment.

Meh, I'm sure people will just say it's all about oil and will only make them hate us more.

ISIS is filled with the kind of people whom I'm happy to see get bombs dropped on their heads. The issue is what kind of follow up everyone has afterwards.

Meh, I'm sure people will just say it's all about oil and will only make them hate us more.
Good point, because how Obama has dealt with the Middle East and the Muslim nations has been anywhere near barely even comparable with the W Admin's actions. The Obama Admin is dealing with what is called an actual imminent threat, not to the US, but the region in general (of which there is a clear Arab consensus... something that hasn't been reached since the mid 1300s).

The Obama Admin appears to be making the military effort in support of a notable coalition, with notable Arab leadership. Of course, the UN hasn't sanctioned any of the attacks, which can lead to trouble. Obama's previous efforts in Syria, to get rid of the WMDs seemed to have been very well timed. While Putin was given lots of credit for putting Obama in his place, the reality (at least to me at the time) was that Obama was able to get the WMDs somewhat secured and out of ISIS hands when all hell could have broken loose. There are a ton of diplomatic games being played right now.

So Obama has appeared to use appropriate caution with force in the area. Syria isn't crying out against the bombings. Iran and Saudi Arabia are both on board. But the UN hasn't blessed it. So it appears to be a mix of good and bad. The good, however, seems to be the Obama Admin's understanding that US military force can only be a piece to the puzzle that is defeating ISIS and that the Arab nations, themselves, consist of the major pieces that are necessary to put ISIS out of the sphere of being relevant.

Almost 24 hours after the fact and still no comment here about the bombing?

Why?

No one has any opinion?

This Forum too anti-Obama to praise his actions?

People too scared to say what they think, remembering the debacle of Bush's "Mission Accomplished"?
or, we're in america - a geographically isolated land mass on the opposite side of the planet.
syria has absolutely no impact whatsoever on the lives of americans, and nobody who isn't going out of their way to invent a kerfluffle to get themselves bent out of shape about gives one laminated fuck about syria or the middle east in general.

it's all just manufactured hysteria - who cares what happens in syria, aside from the usual gallery of xenophobic white supremacists who will be writhing out of the woodwork to gnash their teeth about brown people and how somehow israel is both involved and important.

Good point, because how Obama has dealt with the Middle East and the Muslim nations has been anywhere near barely even comparable with the W Admin's actions. The Obama Admin is dealing with what is called an actual imminent threat, not to the US, but the region in general (of which there is a clear Arab consensus... something that hasn't been reached since the mid 1300s).

The Obama Admin appears to be making the military effort in support of a notable coalition, with notable Arab leadership. Of course, the UN hasn't sanctioned any of the attacks, which can lead to trouble. Obama's previous efforts in Syria, to get rid of the WMDs seemed to have been very well timed. While Putin was given lots of credit for putting Obama in his place, the reality (at least to me at the time) was that Obama was able to get the WMDs somewhat secured and out of ISIS hands when all hell could have broken loose. There are a ton of diplomatic games being played right now.

So Obama has appeared to use appropriate caution with force in the area. Syria isn't crying out against the bombings. Iran and Saudi Arabia are both on board. But the UN hasn't blessed it. So it appears to be a mix of good and bad. The good, however, seems to be the Obama Admin's understanding that US military force can only be a piece to the puzzle that is defeating ISIS and that the Arab nations, themselves, consist of the major pieces that are necessary to put ISIS out of the sphere of being relevant.

Yes, of course the people in the middle east greatly prefer to be bombed by Obama.

He should be given full credit for making foreign military adventures popular again.

ISIS isn't good enough at fabricating dead kids, there's little objection.

ISIS isn't good enough at fabricating dead kids, there's little objection.
thank you for proving my point and only taking 1 other post in which to do it.

It was just what you would expect from a war monger...Obomba. We really have no idea of the conditions that sparked this rather heavy bombing in Northern Syria...near Aleppo. Not too long ago, the people in that area were effective rebel forces holding their own against the evil Assad. Now they are suddenly "terrorists." Neo-liberals seem about as loose with explosives as Neo-cons.

thank you for proving my point and only taking 1 other post in which to do it.

It was just what you would expect from a war monger...Obomba. We really have no idea of the conditions that sparked this rather heavy bombing in Northern Syria...near Aleppo. Not too long ago, the people in that area were effective rebel forces holding their own against the evil Assad. Now they are suddenly "terrorists." Neo-liberals seem about as loose with explosives as Neo-cons.

Either that or nobody's doing that at all and there were distinguishments made between the radicals like ISIS and the rest of the Syrian rebels since the beginning of the conflict. It's one or the other.

I'll comment after I hear details of exactly how the middle-eastern "partner nations" participated, thanks.

FaceBook idiots are commenting on the news by droves. The US just wants to loot, etc. Fuck, if the US wanted to loot, would they be bombing Syria with no ground troops or rather invading South Korea?

What's to say? So Obama got us into yet another illegal war. The Republicans won't call him on it because they like war. The Democrats won't call him on it because he's a Democrat.

He referenced the AUMF that Bush got, to go after Al Qaeda, even though ISIS isn't Al Qaeda.

People are buying the bullshit line that airstrikes aren't an act of war, aren't war, etc. Just like Japan at Pearl Harbor.

This from the Nobel Peace Prize winner. The way to win a Nobel Peace Prize is to be just slightly more militaristic than Attila the Hun.

What's to say? So Obama got us into yet another illegal war. The Republicans won't call him on it because they like war. The Democrats won't call him on it because he's a Democrat.

He referenced the AUMF that Bush got, to go after Al Qaeda, even though ISIS isn't Al Qaeda.

People are buying the bullshit line that airstrikes aren't an act of war, aren't war, etc. Just like Japan at Pearl Harbor.

This from the Nobel Peace Prize winner. The way to win a Nobel Peace Prize is to be just slightly more militaristic than Attila the Hun.

Despite the awesome power of aerial bombardment, no war has ever been won by airpower alone. Looks like our national guard had better start waterproofing their boots. As for our "partners on the ground." I really don't think Israel is interested in helping. They have too much land clearing of their own to be doing. Oh, what demon oil makes even good men do!

It's not being done by airpower alone. Obama is coordinating with Syrians. Who are rebels. Who have nil experience in statesmanship.

The political cost of sending American ground troops is too high. Obama might be doing just the right thing, the situation being what it is. And also, since this:
... is the world's near future, the US should make it a habit to work with the locals. The US intelligence community and US technological edge, therefore, will be the ones in charge of making the world a better place, not American teenagers bound to develop PTSD.

When it comes to working with the locals, especially when it comes to knowing which locals to work with, our leadership in foreign policy have a track record of absolute failure, abject stupidity, and supreme hubris to the point where they cannot learn their lessons from their failures.

Making it a habit to work with the locals will only create another crisis like the one currently being faced.

The question remaining, how quickly can the threat of ISIS be removed so the Middle East can return to their own private proxy wars.
When it comes to working with the locals, especially when it comes to knowing which locals to work with, our leadership in foreign policy have a track record of absolute failure, abject stupidity, and supreme hubris to the point where they cannot learn their lessons from their failures.

Making it a habit to work with the locals will only create another crisis like the one currently being faced.
Working with the locals (starting right after the '06 spanking in November) is what turned the Iraqi operation from a complete mess into a relatively peaceful process.

Back
Top Bottom