• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Talk Freethought seems to be doing well

couch_sloth

Basic Beliefs
Atheist (weak)
Looking at the number of visitors and posts, this forum seems to be doing better than most ‘skeptic’ oriented boards. e.g. It seems like the number of people visiting the ‘International Skeptics Forum’ has dropped to about 1/3 of what it was 2 years ago.

I've been a regular on a number of forums for the past few years, and I can say that what this board has going for it is a good signal/noise ratio. We have less overall activity than some other forums, but there is a higher concentration of good posts here. I'm also a member of International Skeptics and most of the threads border on unreadable.

Granted, this board could use some fresh material, but I think that's probably true of most message boards these days. Eventually the same topics are always rehashed.

Looking at the number of visitors and posts, this forum seems to be doing better than most ‘skeptic’ oriented boards. e.g. It seems like the number of people visiting the ‘International Skeptics Forum’ has dropped to about 1/3 of what it was 2 years ago.

What is the reason for the drastic drop?

There has been a lot of hubbub at ISF over moderation. Although one of the biggest instigators who also happened to be one of the biggest violators and general PITA to mods and members alike just self banned.

Personally, I think their moderation is a little overly strict and the idea of a sceptic board having the opinion that there are bad words is just weird to me.

There has been a lot of hubbub at ISF over moderation. Although one of the biggest instigators who also happened to be one of the biggest violators and general PITA to mods and members alike just self banned.

Personally, I think their moderation is a little overly strict and the idea of a sceptic board having the opinion that there are bad words is just weird to me.

For comparison, could this forum be considered a skeptic forum? I guess it really leans more toward atheism, but I would guess that most people here are skeptics as well. Though a few seem prone to believe in conspiracy theories.

For comparison, could this forum be considered a skeptic forum? I guess it really leans more toward atheism, but I would guess that most people here are skeptics as well. Though a few seem prone to believe in conspiracy theories.

That's just what they want you to think.

That's just what they want you to think.

They seem to be a distinct minority though.:whisper:

I've been a regular on a number of forums for the past few years, and I can say that what this board has going for it is a good signal/noise ratio. We have less overall activity than some other forums, but there is a higher concentration of good posts here. I'm also a member of International Skeptics and most of the threads border on unreadable.

Granted, this board could use some fresh material, but I think that's probably true of most message boards these days. Eventually the same topics are always rehashed.

I think the level of discourse here is higher than at certain other places. Sure, (political) discussions can get a little heated sometimes, but my impression is that people here for the most time can disagree on issues without being assholes.

I think the level of discourse here is higher than at certain other places. Sure, (political) discussions can get a little heated sometimes, but my impression is that people here for the most time can disagree on issues without being assholes.

We’re still working on what to use for a sarcasm font for Tom Sawyer, tho. Sometimes the newcomers take a while to learn the translation code, and they say things like, “How was I supposed to know he was joking?”

We’re still working on what to use for a sarcasm font for Tom Sawyer, tho. Sometimes the newcomers take a while to learn the translation code, and they say things like, “How was I supposed to know he was joking?”

I see. Though in this case, I understood he was sarcastic.;)

Regarding ISF, I have a confession to make: Many years ago, when it was still under JREF (and named accordingly), I was banned from that forum. I don't know why, I was never told.

Would anyone here hold that against me...?

At least you got in, I could never get my registration approved by those bastard elitists.

Maybe they knew in advance that they were going to ban you, and wanted to save time?;):p

Regarding ISF, I have a confession to make: Many years ago, when it was still under JREF (and named accordingly), I was banned from that forum. I don't know why, I was never told.

Would anyone here hold that against me...?

I just looked you up there. You are not on the banned or suspension list. May have been a mistake.

Is the statement of the OP still the case?
If it was the case in 2019, it's probably still the case now. I haven't seen any radical change in the composition of the forum over the year or so that I've been here.

I will say that I wish there was more interest in combating and refuting religion, and less interest in politics, here.

Combating and refuting religion is what brought me here mumble mumble years ago. But after seeing the same arguments many many times, it got boring. Politics is ever changing however.

Back
Top Bottom