• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Tennessee School Board Bans Holocaust Graphic Novel

SLD

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Freethinker
It’s kind of a Holocaust classic, Maus, where the Jews are depicted as mice. Why? Because the mice were naked. I guess naked mice might titillate children.

the author called it Orwellian. Yup.

Would have made more sense to say they banned it for making kids associate Cats with Nazis.

So mouse nudity is evil, but M&Ms are not sexxy enough.

Confused...
Once on Hollywood Squares, they asked Marcia Wallace (voice of Ms. Crabapple on Simpsons) "Is it normal for kids to imagine grown-ups without clothes?"
"Yes," she replied. "For YEARS i tried to figure out what Minnie Mouse would look like without shoes."

Things that are banned in some parts of Tennessee, at least in part:
  • Any possibility at all of white people feeling discomfort for historical events or current events;
  • Historical memoir depicted by anthropomorphized cats and mice, to include dead mice, nude mouse depicting the author's mother's suicide who was a Holocaust survivor, vulgar words by Nazi cats and other terrible real things that happened such as hanging "mice" and shooting them, ... to be read by ~14 year olds as a means of learning some history in a format that 14 year olds would typically appreciate--a graphic novel, i.e. comic book.

Things that are allowed in Tennessee:
  • If you find roadkill, you can pick it up and eat it;
  • A 9 year old can go hunting...and what that means is that a 9 year old can be given a rifle or shotgun and kill a wild, naked cat or wild, naked mouse or many of them, not to mention other species of animal typical and allowed to be hunted, and quite a lot of them.

• Any possibility at all of white people feeling discomfort for historical events or current events;
  • Historical memoir depicted by anthropomorphized cats and mice, to include dead mice, nude mouse depicting the author's mother's suicide who was a Holocaust survivor, vulgar words by Nazi cats and other terrible real things that happened such as hanging "mice" and shooting them, ... to be read by ~14 year olds as a means of learning some history in a format that 14 year olds would typically appreciate--a graphic novel, i.e. comic book.
Well, I'd just show the students Life is Beautiful. Then the assholes would ban that because it is "making light of the Holocaust".

Also remember, "grab them by the pussy" is just locker room talk. These anti-Semites are trash.

• A 9 year old can go hunting...and what that means is that a 9 year old can be given a rifle or shotgun and kill a wild, naked cat or wild, naked mouse or many of them, not to mention other species of animal typical and allowed to be hunted, and quite a lot of them.
I just got through reading the 20 pages of the meeting minutes by the school board, as linked in the OP. There's a lot there, somewhat rambling at times, but from what I can tell, no one objected to teaching the Holocaust. In fact, it seemed most at the meeting praised Maus as a whole, but a few had specific objections. The main concern seemed to be that there were some naughty words in Maus that, if said by the students in school, would result in disciplinary action. So, they felt it would seem somewhat hypocritical in that sense to permit Maus to be used. There seemed to be agreement that if the bad words were sanitized in some way, then Maus would be acceptable for use by the school. However, there was concern by the school board's lawyer that they could be in violation of the Fair Use Act, and thus could be subject to legal action by the publisher if they did so. So, for that reason, they elected to not go with it. It kind of just boils down to the fact that this community is a little prudish. I never got the sense they were anti-Semitic, as some seem to be implying.

I haven't quite figured out the nude picture thing yet. Apparently, the image in question is of Spiegelmen's mother laying nude in the bathtub after she committed suicide in 1968. Whether his mother is depicted as a "naked mouse" or its an actual photograph of her, is not clear. She is referred to as a "woman", but I have yet to see the image in question, so its hard say how offensive or inoffensive it is.

Personally, not being a comic book kind of guy, I would prefer a straightforward, tell-it-like-it-is approach to teaching the Holocaust. Real photos, personal accounts, etc. But that's just my preference.

By the way, my dad has told me stories of my grandmother stopping to pick up a fresh roadkill and cooking it up for dinner, here in Northern California, back in the 1930's and '40's. And she was no backwoods Granny character from The Beverly Hillbillies. I don't think that its a particularly awful thing to do myself. Saving the planet a bit, and filling a poor person's tummy. What's wrong with that?

I just got through reading the 20 pages of the meeting minutes by the school board, as linked in the OP. There's a lot there, somewhat rambling at times, but from what I can tell, no one objected to teaching the Holocaust. In fact, it seemed most at the meeting praised Maus as a whole, but a few had specific objections.
Uh huh. I'm not a anti-Semite, BUT...

Words before the word BUT never should be taken as having any weight in honesty.

Well, I'm completely as ease teaching children about the horrors of a brutal regime in the 1940s where the Nazis conspired to dehumanize and then murder millions of civilians via a process of mass extermination... but a naked mouse and some bad language?

We are talking about 14 year olds for fuck sakes. I read Breakfast of Champions (Kurt Vonnegut Jr), which I took out of the school library in 8th grade.
I haven't quite figured out the nude picture thing yet. Apparently, the image in question is of Spiegelmen's mother laying nude in the bathtub after she committed suicide in 1968. Whether his mother is depicted as a "naked mouse" or its an actual photograph of her, is not clear. She is referred to as a "woman", but I have yet to see the image in question, so its hard say how offensive or inoffensive it is.
It couldn't possibly be meant as offensive. It is supposed to disturb the reader. It isn't happy. It is the culmination of a near unspeakable horror. How else do you get across the scope of the Holocaust without it just becoming a statistic.

Yes, she is depicted as a mouse and, as I understand, the frame containing the image in the comic book is actually smaller than a postage stamp.

She is referred to as a "woman", but I have yet to see the image in question, so its hard say how offensive or inoffensive it is.

No doubt the reason for the confused interpretation of a woman or a mouse is that the whole comic is of anthropomorphized cats and mice, just like I wrote. But regardless of the nuanced degree to which the naked body is mouse or human, it is NOT hard at all to understand whether it is "offensive." Your claim is false: In other posts you are screaming about cancel culture and "The Regressive Left" and as such you would know that whether a thing is offensive is determined by its social and cultural value and that in this instance both its historicity and social value as to education would trump even if it were a photograph of a nude body, which it it is not. That also goes to claims of so-called vulgar words. Again, look at the scale of what is allowed for 9 year olds--they can actually kill hunting animals with a rifle or gun. 5 years later [i.e. 14 year olds] for purposes of education cannot observe CARTOONS of deaths of those animals and so-called bad words with social and cultural value?

Yes, she is depicted as a mouse and, as I understand, the frame containing the image in the comic book is actually smaller than a postage stamp.
Post it here, and we can all have a look for ourselves. Hopefully, it doesn't violate IIDB's terms of use for showing naughty bits. ;)

She is referred to as a "woman", but I have yet to see the image in question, so its hard say how offensive or inoffensive it is.

No doubt the reason for the confused interpretation of a woman or a mouse is that the whole comic is of anthropomorphized cats and mice, just like I wrote. But regardless of the nuanced degree to which the naked body is mouse or human, it is NOT hard at all to understand whether it is "offensive." Your claim is false: In other posts you are screaming about cancel culture and "The Regressive Left" and as such you would know that whether a thing is offensive is determined by its social and cultural value and that in this instance both its historicity and social value as to education would trump even if it were a photograph of a nude body, which it it is not. That also goes to claims of so-called vulgar words. Again, look at the scale of what is allowed for 9 year olds--they can actually kill hunting animals with a rifle or gun. 5 years later [i.e. 14 year olds] for purposes of education cannot observe CARTOONS of deaths of those animals and so-called bad words with social and cultural value?
Oh noes, kids learning to hunt, run away, run away! You must hate watching National Geographic specials of the Kalahari Bushmen teaching their young sons how to kill animals for food. Or watching fishing shows with a family out fishing in a lake. Why can't these people just go to KFC or Red Lobster like normal people, instead of hurting animals? :ROFLMAO:

As I said in my post, I would prefer kids be educated using actual, real life unsanitized photos and historical accounts of the Holocaust. Not comic books. I think the horror of it would hit home more than drawings of mice getting tortured. As far as vulgar words, many on the Regressive Left do find a lot words offensive and wish to sanitize them. We had a thread here on IIDB with the word "retarded" in the title, and it got changed, because it apparently bothered some grown adults.

Oh noes, kids learning to hunt, run away, run away!

I have NO PROBLEM with it. I used that to illustrate the comparative scale. I expect you now to actually address what I wrote as a comparison and not try to paint me personally on the issue. Again, it's a COMPARISON/CONTRASTING of allowing ACTUAL KILLING of animals to CARTOON depictions of them by an observer later on in life with a more advanced brain. Are you incapable of understanding a comparison and contrasting of one thing allowed and one thing banned?

You must hate watching National Geographic specials of the Kalahari Bushmen teaching their young sons how to kill animals for food. Or watching fishing shows with a family out fishing in a lake. Why can't these people just go to KFC or Red Lobster like normal people, instead of hurting animals? :ROFLMAO:

Wow, what a stupid comment.

As I said in my post, I would prefer kids be educated using actual, real life unsanitized photos and historical accounts of the Holocaust. Not comic books. I think the horror of it would hit home more than drawings of mice getting tortured. As far as vulgar words, many on the Regressive Left do find a lot words offensive and wish to sanitize them.

You seem to be very confused. Being "offensive" is a different thing than participating in racism. So, for example, if a private publishing entity receives feedback that it is PROMOTING RACISM (not merely being offensive with so-called bad words) and the private publishing entity decides to stop publishing the book, that is a different kind of issue than a government banning a book for so-called "offensive" words that not only do NOT PROMOTE RACISM, but PROMOTE ANTI-RACISM.

And that's the point, all of the book banning that you keep making excuses for BY COINCIDENCE is all about ANTI-RACIST books or books that CHRISTIANS are afraid of because of topics like sex abuse or sexual orientation.

It's just a COINCIDENCE, though, and nothing to do with Reich-wing politics. Right?

Dude, why don't you download and read the meeting minutes in question, and highlight the sections in it that you think have to do with racism or anti-semitism. Then we can have a discussion. At this point, it seems you and others seem to think that's what this is all about, but my interpretation is its the wrong focus. Its a little community in Tennessee that's got some prudish attitudes...that's about all you can say about the whole story IMHO. Just show me the racism. "Dog whistles" and "personal feelings about rural southern people" don't count.

Dude, why don't you download and read the meeting minutes in question, and highlight the sections in it that you think have to do with racism or anti-semitism. Then we can have a discussion. At this point, it seems you and others seem to think that's what this is all about, but my interpretation is its the wrong focus. Its a little community in Tennessee that's got some prudish attitudes...that's about all you can say about the whole story IMHO. Just show me the racism. "Dog whistles" and "personal feelings about rural southern people" don't count.
Are you truly naive enough to believe that this is about mouse nudity? There are a lot of images of animals without clothing on the shelves of any children's library, both illustrated and in photographs. Hundreds of titles, even in a small library. Why, in your opinion, are they concerned about this specific book and not any of the others?

Back
Top Bottom