• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

TFT book club - any interest?

Politesse

Lux Aeterna
Basic Beliefs
Jedi Wayseeker
I'll have some time to kill over the summer (which for me starts in a fortnight), and I was thinking it might be fun to start a structured book club here on the forum. Drop-ins would be welcome, but I'll only want to go forward with it if a reasonable number of people feel like they would be interested in actually aquiring the text and participating. If interested, drop a note on the thread, and perhaps chime in on possible books/topics? I was thinking that a Humanist classic would be appropriate, or maybe a solid philosophy-of-science read. If there are enough people (say four or five) willing to be regular participants, then we can use this thread decide on a book and set up maybe a two-week window to acquire a copy of the text. I volunteer to then lead the discussion portion in a new thread, give us some relevant discussion questions for each reading, etc.

Any takers?

Maybe. I don't really have the time if we are talking about a dense textbook style book, but if it is something along the line of novel type readability I would be interested.

Ruth

I had in mind a "popular science" or "popular philosophy" sort of read, not so much a textbook! But I am also open to suggestions as to what would interest people.

Some possible reads I have thought of:

Carl Sagan's "Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark"

Stephen Jay Gould's "The Flamingo's Smile: Reflections in Natural History"

Jeremy Silva's "A Most Interesting Problem: What Darwin's Descent of Man Got Right and Wrong"

Alan Jacob's "How to Think: A Guide for the Perplexed"

Charles King's "Gods of the Upper Air: How a Circle of Renegade Anthropologists Reinvented Race, Sex, and Gender"​

My first thought was that I couldn't possibly find the time, but on looking at your suggestions, I think I could fit any of them into my schedule, and would look forward to discussing them. So, count me in!

I like the idea of a book club, but invariably everything I want to spend my time reading is esoteric and weird, so unfortunately I'd have to count myself out.

Back
Top Bottom