• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

That time geocentrists tricked a bunch of physicists

Angry Floof

Tricksy Leftits
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist
I never watched The Principle, a film that tries to support geocentrism (Clickbait Title: Is There Proof We Really Are The Center of the Universe?!), but I sure do remember the outcry about Lawrence Krauss presented as an expert and Kate Mulgrew (Star Trek Voyager) narrating. They both publicly denounced the film and told their side of the story. Krauss explained that he had no idea he was in the film and they either interviewed him under false pretenses or used footage from other interviews with Krauss. Kate Mulgrew denounced the film and geocentrism, saying that she was misled about the film.

This is filmmaker Dan Olson's response video debunking geocentrism and telling the story of The Principle, including footage from the video made by The Principle's producers about the conspiracy to silence the truth of geocentrism being told.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icwDF8wRgF4[/YOUTUBE]

Robert Sungenis, producer of "The Principle" has also written a book, "Galileo was Wrong, the Church was Right".

The Book | Galileo Was Wrong

You might find this fun: What Is The Copernican Principle? - YouTube - a British-accented woman in a tight white dress briefly explains what it is. She is made to seem like a holographic projection.

Axis of evil (cosmology) - a feature of the Cosmic Microwave Background that seems aligned with the plane of the Earth's orbit. The makers of "The Principle" make a big issue out of it, but that seems to me to be grasping at straws.

That happened to an anthropologist friend of mine, Sabina Magliocco, who was duped by the producers of the show Ancient Aliens for an entire season of filming; not much of a tv watcher, she didn't really get what had happened until she started getting weird questions from her students. :D (They had led to her to believe the show was about mythic perspectives on the idea of extra-terrestrial llife, which is in her wheelhouse, but was in fact peddling archaeological pseudoscience about actual alien visitations and only used her material to "frame" each episode and make it seem more legitimate.)

That happened to an anthropologist friend of mine, Sabina Magliocco, who was duped by the producers of the show Ancient Aliens for an entire season of filming; not much of a tv watcher, she didn't really get what had happened until she started getting weird questions from her students. :D (They had led to her to believe the show was about mythic perspectives on the idea of extra-terrestrial llife, which is in her wheelhouse, but was in fact peddling archaeological pseudoscience about actual alien visitations and only used her material to "frame" each episode and make it seem more legitimate.)

She must have been pissed.

She must have been pissed.

I wouldn't say "pissed" exactly, but that's down to her very affable personality. She was chairing the anthro program at CSU Northridge at the time and it did cause a lot of problems for her. A fine folklorist and anthropologist, it's a shame her big breakout on television was a disaster because she has a good screen presence and does a good job of making a "bridge" between theories and the public.

I liked that assessment of "The Principle". Like how he described its approach to geocentrism as "Just Asking Questions". Sometimes shortened to "JAQing Off".

What moves around what? From geocentrism to heliocentrism.

Humanity's original cosmology, Claudius Ptolemy "Almagest" ~150 CE
Ea: Mo Me Ve Su Ma Ju Sa

Martianus Capella "The Seven Disciplines" ~420 CE
Su: Me Ve
Ea: Mo (Su) Ma Ju Sa

Giovanni-Battista Riccioli "The New Almagest" 1651
Su: Me Ve Ma
Ea: Mo (Su) Ju Sa

Tycho Brahe ~1575
Su: Me Ve Ma Ju Sa
Ea: Mo (Su)

Aristarchus of Samos ~260 BCE, Nicolaus Copernicus <~1514