• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

THe alt-right: a bad 80s/90s nostalgia trip by some of gen x/y?

masterpeastheater

Basic Beliefs
agnostic leaning atheist
So sometime ago I was lurking with mildly horrified curiosity at some message boards, forums and youtube channels frequented by alt-right types. Apart from the most obvious(holy shit neo-nazi dickheads!), I noticed a lot of nostalgia for 80s, 90s pop culture and life in general. Ok, I was born in 1978 so I can relate. I would definitely rather listen to Nirvana than Taylor Swift or most hip-hop. I would much rather watch Miami Vice than whatever the hell is on broadcast tv now. However that is about where my nostalgia ends. These alt-right guys look back fondly on the fact you could beat up LGBT people back then and it was still more or less hunky dory. They look back fondly on growing up in (maybe some of the last remaining) lily white suburban areas. But, then, you see, 10, 15 or 20 years ago, the "globohomos" came along and RUINED EVERYTHING! I've also seen some of them yammer about how there was more GAWD and JEEBUS in society back in the 80s and 90s, and not as much "immorality" back then. What's funny about that is that I remember some adults when I was a kid in the 80s and 90s saying the same shit about the 50s and 60s. Are the alt-right similar mindless slaves to their upbringing as the more conservative boomers? Is the alt-right what happened to the dickhead jocks and bullies of the 80s and 90s after they...uh..."grew up"(or more like just advanced beyond their larval stage). The few kids I remember spewing crap back then that might be compatible with the alt-right now were all either delinquents who constantly got into trouble or asshole jocks who felt entitled to lob spitballs, throw random peoples books on the floor and slap random girls on the ass during a loooong haaaard day of waiting to get to football practice, the poor dears. Ok, well I was brought up in one of the last bastions of lily white suburbia, too, but that doesn't mean I have to be a hard-core racist. LGBT people had it rough then but that doesn't mean I cant be accepting now. Let's not forget Reagan, Iran Contra, AIDS, and the first bullshit Iraq war AKA "Desert Storm".

Have I nailed it?

What's funny about that is that I remember some adults when I was a kid in the 80s and 90s saying the same shit about the 50s and 60s. Are the alt-right similar mindless slaves to their upbringing as the more conservative boomers?
Have I nailed it?
Yes, you have.
Speaking of 80s:

I prefer RationalWiki's definition:

The alt-right (short for nazi alternative right) is a patriotically correct term for neo-Nazi far-right movement that opposes tolerance, multiculturalism and social justice (items they file under "Cultural Marxism" and "SJW").

The movement is largely internet-based, made up of frustrated late-blooming teens-to-twenty-somethings, and is itself the merger of traditional white nationalists, neo-Nazis, and neo-Confederates overlapping the neoreactionary movement, Gamergate and the manosphere. The alt-right consensus of the day generally rests at the juncture of those three groups. The term originated with Richard Spencer's white nationalist magazine/blog Alternative Right, which was nicknamed "AltRight".

The alt-right wholeheartedly embraces the overt racism, anti-semitism, misogyny, and homophobia typical of neo-Nazi affectations — in Twitter-paced combination with the shitposting, bullying, doxxing, and trolling of 4chan/8chan culture as a lifestyle. You'll find them on /pol/, The Daily Stormer, /r/The_Donald, My Posting Career, Gab, Voat, The Right Stuff, and (most notably) in every unmoderated comment field on any decent website where wholesome and inclusive news reports may go otherwise unprotested.

The frothing vanguard of manufactured outrage, executive producers and core demographic of fake news-driven social media hysteria, perpetually in search of today's new bar for "edgy", they're also the ones who popularized "cuckservative" as a term of abuse for anyone on the right that they consider not racist enough.

Whether they are primarily neoreactionaries who are into white nationalism, or white nationalists dressing their ideas up with neoreactionary jargon, is probably a distinction without a difference. The term "alt-right" has come more generally to signify "Trump supporters who think swastikas are good". In this context, it's just a hip alias for "white supremacists" — with all the extra PR-savvy granted by its plausible deniability for when the need arises.

The Associated Press recommends:
"Whenever "alt-right" is used in a story, be sure to include a definition: "an offshoot of conservatism mixing racism, white nationalism and populism," or, more simply, "a white nationalist movement." Avoid using the term generically and without definition, however, because it is not well known and the term may exist primarily as a public-relations device to make its supporters’ actual beliefs less clear and more acceptable to a broader audience. In the past we have called such beliefs racist, neo-Nazi or white supremacist."​

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Alt-right

My brother, who pesters them on some alt-right sites finds that most of them seem to be fans of bad anime. They know no history, but can name all the characters in the latest anime series. Especially cat-eared anime girls. They seem to love Q-Anon and get a lot of nonsense from far right nooz sites. The more disreputable, the better. They hate the Libs, homos, Jews and Moslems. And any media that is not far right. They are suckers for conspiracy crap. They complain that they have a hard time getting and keeping jobs. And women.

A sub-culture that would embarrass a colony of cockroaches.

Back
Top Bottom