• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Black Cat Analogy

Jarhyn

Wizard
Basic Beliefs
Natural Philosophy, Game Theoretic Ethicist
View attachment 40851
I disagree. Metaphysics is the discussion of what is meant by "dark" "black" and "cat" so that one has a concept oppose the darkness of the room and a rubric for catness to know what one has found.

All of them are doing metaphysics but the scientist most of all.

Reactions: WAB

WAB

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
n/a
View attachment 40851
View attachment 40851
I disagree. Metaphysics is the discussion of what is meant by "dark" "black" and "cat" so that one has a concept oppose the darkness of the room and a rubric for catness to know what one has found.

All of them are doing metaphysics but the scientist most of all.
I'm with the wizard on this one.

SIB

Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Thats funny ...

I might change it to philosophy sitting outside of the room looking for the cat inside. Fundy think type atheist come out of a dark room with a broken nose saying ... "Nope, there aint nothing there.". Engineers set a trap.

For me ... I wish more atheist understood science. I love talking to atheist after saying "yeah, we agree, they are wrong, what do you think?" and getting the theist like special plead of "I am not making any claims past they are wrong." in some form or another. Some atheist are as faith based as their theist counter parts.

BTW, heeding science is kind of short sighted. Its more about doing the best we can to reduce error and lower bias. Remember, any claim with a mechanism, repeatability, and correct predictions are more reliable than those with out it. Period the end. It doesn't matter if they are theist or atheist.

Top Bottom