• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

"The Day Democracy Died"

laughing dog

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Dogs rule
[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ue5F57dZMU[/YOUTUBE] A well done commentary on our President.

The refrain is

No, don’t let democracy die
He’s a famous ignoramus
Can’t tell truth from a lie
And if he wins we’ll kiss our country goodbye
Singin’ vote for anyone but this guy
Vote for anyone but this guy

More of a Randy Rainbow fan myself. He released a new song today as well:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvbWKIqj6lA[/youtube]

Our system has allowed the rise of anautocratic Trump who cleaned house like any oter regieme of opposition. Enabled by congressional republicans.

I don't see anything funny when it comes down to it. Comedians and late night are cashing in on the troubles.. It is a financial feeding frenzy.

At this point all I want if for everything to stay together as long as my heart lasts.

To everybody else the future 20, 50 years from now is yours.

Humor helps us cope. We can have despair over what's happening, but still use humor as a coping mechanism. Believe it or not, there have actually been studies that provide evidence that humor is good for our immune system. According to a study done in 2001, cortisol levels were lowered after watching a funny movie. Since increased cortisol levels are associated with a decrease in our immune systems, that's a positive thing. So, despite that fact that we are living on the verge of destruction, or something along those lines, please don't stop the laughter. Please bring me more humor!

I can't link those studies because they are documented in a short course I'm taking on the benefits of humor in health care.

Humor helps us cope. We can have despair over what's happening, but still use humor as a coping mechanism. Believe it or not, there have actually been studies that provide evidence that humor is good for our immune system. According to a study done in 2001, cortisol levels were lowered after watching a funny movie. Since increased cortisol levels are associated with a decrease in our immune systems, that's a positive thing. So, despite that fact that we are living on the verge of destruction, or something along those lines, please don't stop the laughter. Please bring me more humor!

I can't link those studies because they are documented in a short course I'm taking on the benefits of humor in health care.

Wish I could find the meta-study I read that showed a very close correlation between the effects of humor and the effects of faith upon healing and survival from traumatic injury. Both were dramatically beneficial. Don't even know how rigorous the study was, only that it struck me as something I would have bet on based only on my gut feeling, even though I wondered how difficult it might be to subject a trauma victim to humor.
laugh.JPG

even though I wondered how difficult it might be to subject a trauma victim to humor.
I don't think it works to 'subject' them to humor.
Someone panicking about an accident doesn't need a doctor saying, "Well if we have to amputate part of the finger, at least you'll be better at doing fractions."

But if the patient can have a sense of humor, it should be encouraged.

Our system has allowed the rise of anautocratic Trump who cleaned house like any oter regieme of opposition. Enabled by congressional republicans.

I don't see anything funny when it comes down to it. Comedians and late night are cashing in on the troubles.. It is a financial feeding frenzy.

At this point all I want if for everything to stay together as long as my heart lasts.

To everybody else the future 20, 50 years from now is yours.

No. We need to mock him, laugh at him. Make a joke. Because people SHARE jokes. Jokes have legs that boring news does not. They are dynamic. They are memes.

People share and like jokes, and when the subject matter is how our executive is an autocratic leader who is a fat tub of bullshit, people are not going to vote for a joke like that. In a world where perception and reputation creates power, a joke that decimates those things, and thus the power itself.

Jokes like this aren't "mere jokes", they are weapons.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/stress-management/in-depth/stress-relief/art-20044456

The following is just a very brief summary, and I haven't read much of my course material yet, so I don' know all of the details of how humor affects our physiology.

Laughter isn't just a quick pick-me-up, though. It's also good for you over the long term. Laughter may:

Improve your immune system. Negative thoughts manifest into chemical reactions that can affect your body by bringing more stress into your system and decreasing your immunity. By contrast, positive thoughts can actually release neuropeptides that help fight stress and potentially more-serious illnesses.
Relieve pain. Laughter may ease pain by causing the body to produce its own natural painkillers.
Increase personal satisfaction. Laughter can also make it easier to cope with difficult situations. It also helps you connect with other people.
Improve your mood. Many people experience depression, sometimes due to chronic illnesses. Laughter can help lessen your depression and anxiety and may make you feel happier.

So yes! Bring on the late night humor, the satire, the jokes that make fun of dear leader etc. It's good for us and since Trump doesn't even seem to have a sense of humor, he couldn't be very healthy. I laugh a lot. Maybe that's why I haven't even had a cold in at least five years. :D I also think that's it's very healthy to be able to laugh at yourself.

I need to read more of my course material before I know exactly what is appropriate in regards to how health care providers communicate with their patients. Maybe when I finish the course, I will start a discussion in the appropriate place about humor and health.

The following is just a very brief summary, and I haven't read much of my course material yet, so I don' know all of the details of how humor affects our physiology.
SoHy, are you trying to get us to do your homework again?
Negative thoughts manifest into chemical reactions that can affect your body by bringing more stress into your system and decreasing your immunity.
Oh-oh.
What if the humor we're laughing at is sarcasm, though?

Like, comparing Trump to a Slinky.
Not worth much, but funny as hell to watch one tumble down an UP escalator for an hour?

Attachments

• fff.png
    fff.png
    66.5 KB · Views: 3
Negative thoughts manifest into chemical reactions that can affect your body by bringing more stress into your system and decreasing your immunity.
Oh-oh.

Not worth much, but funny as hell to watch one tumble down an UP escalator for an hour?

I was actually thinking about racist or sexist humor. Obviously, decent people wouldn't benefit from racist or sexist humor, because they wouldn't find it funny. But, does a racist or sexist benefit from that type of humor? Something to think about.

But, does a racist or sexist benefit from that type of humor? Something to think about.
But that's not 'humor,' really.
Isaac Asimov defines 'humor' as 'a change in your point of view.'
Bigoted 'jokes' are designed to reinforce a point of view.

Halfie is all-the-time talking about 'how we conservatives laugh about (some difference of opinion with 'the left.')
So i think they get the same benefit. They are releasing tension, patting themselves on the back, saying the world is going to be okay.
For me, laughter makes the world go round because i can still laugh at myself. For the bigot, laughter reassures him/her that they can still laugh at the subject of their bigotry.

Oh-oh.

I was actually thinking about racist or sexist humor. Obviously, decent people wouldn't benefit from racist or sexist humor, because they wouldn't find it funny. But, does a racist or sexist benefit from that type of humor? Something to think about.

Racist or sexist waters-testing isn't "humor". It's abusive behavior and gaslighting. And if someone derives amusement and joy from that abuse, also psychopathy.

Back
Top Bottom