• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The for-profit college industry: An education in moral depravity

doubtingt

Basic Beliefs
Atheist/Scientist
John Oliver had a great show a few weeks ago skewering the for-profit higher “education” industry.

Here are some of the things he discussed about for profit colleges:

Student loan debt is 3 times higher at these schools than for public college students. The cost is 5 times higher than community colleges and twice as high as 4 year Universities. They spend only half as much on instructors as they do on marketing (i.e., lies and emotional manipulation to get people to make the self destructive choice to attend). They graduate less than 1 in 3 students, which is less than public colleges, and ultimate employment in the profession is very low, even for private trade schools whose sole function is training for a particular profession (under 10% for ITT grads). For profit colleges have formed a coalition organization that spends millions in political lobbying, such as their successful killing of legislation attempting to require them to actually prove their false claims of job placement. They also target military vets with their marketing because this allows them to go beyond the 90% Fed limit in terms of tuition at any school that can be paid via loans (vet loans do not count toward that limit). Schools have gone to vet hospitals to sign up brain damaged vets. The marketers speak about finding people’s “pain points”, which refers to identifying things about which people feel bad in their lives and emphasizing it. During training seminars they illustrate the utility of this “pain point” approach with actual images of Nazi torture.

Oliver spoke with a representative of the coalition organization and asked about the 2:1 spending on marketing versus instruction. They guys response was that it made sense and was just like selling people perfume. The actual cost of the perfume is a few cents, but if you want people to pay hundreds for it, you need to spend much more than a few cents on marketing. IOW, these schools view the higher education they provide like expensive perfume, a useless product of little value in itself that suckers must be manipulated into paying ridiculous prices for via emotional manipulations that are nonsensical in terms of having no relation to any objective qualities of the product being sold.

Marketing is 2 times the actual teaching? really?
What university?

That is for the industry as a whole, acknowledge by a spokesperson for the APSCU (Association of Private Sector Colleges and Universities)

Keep in mind that marketing is not just TV commercials and print ads (which are pervasive these days), but also for the army of recruiters they employ who operate much like army recruiters, lying and preying on the weak and desperate. For example, having recruiters go to a brain damage ward for vets to sign up students is part of that marketing budget.

Unless this APSCU includes only really crappy universities I find that hard to believe.
Are any top20 universities in there? MIT, Stanford, Princeton, Harvard?

I've been watching the telly for about two plus hours now and have seen at least 6 ads for private universities and distance learning. Mostly Capella University. National TV advertising is not cheap.

I've been watching the telly for about two plus hours now and have seen at least 6 ads for private universities and distance learning. Mostly Capella University. National TV advertising is not cheap.

OK, then my suspicion is correct, these are really crappy establishments which can hardly be called universities.

Unless this APSCU includes only really crappy universities I find that hard to believe.

http://www.career.org/membership/apscu-member-companies/educational-members/
LOL, DeVry is on the list.
Well, that's the problem with Daily Show and its off-springs, they do tend to distort reality a bit to get greater effect.

The problem isn't "the Daily Show and its off-springs". The problem is that you are confusing "private university" with "for profit university".

Harvard, Stanford, Princeton and MIT are a non-profit universities.

I would put DeVry on the list of crappy, for profit outfits that call themselves "universities."

Generally speaking, if your "university" needs to hire salesmen to recruit students who were turned down by traditional colleges, then you're not in it for the education.

The problem is that you are confusing "private university" with "for profit university".

They are also absurdly wealthy universities that charge absurdly high tuition. But apparently that's OK.

The problem is that you are confusing "private university" with "for profit university".

They are also absurdly wealthy universities that charge absurdly high tuition. But apparently that's OK.

Did I say that? Nope. And neither did John Oliver.

I would put DeVry on the list of crappy, for profit outfits that call themselves "universities."

Generally speaking, if your "university" needs to hire salesmen to recruit students who were turned down by traditional colleges, then you're not in it for the education.

While there are non-profits with high tuition they also have a very good reputation and high admission standards.

The for-profit universities are another matter, they're about anyone they can get in the door. Pay your tuition and you're basically guaranteed a degree.

It's the difference between a Rolls Royce and an overpriced Yugo.

http://www.career.org/membership/apscu-member-companies/educational-members/

Well, that's the problem with Daily Show and its off-springs, they do tend to distort reality a bit to get greater effect.

The problem isn't "the Daily Show and its off-springs". The problem is that you are confusing "private university" with "for profit university".

profit or not, but calling DeVry university is a distortion of reality.

So the real problem is that these are not educational institutions.

So the real problem is that these are not educational institutions.

They're educational institutions in the same way that "Survivor" is designed to teach actual survival skills.

While there are non-profits with high tuition they also have a very good reputation and high admission standards.

The for-profit universities are another matter, they're about anyone they can get in the door. Pay your tuition and you're basically guaranteed a degree.

Well, "good reputation" non-profit universities have business schools, and I am pretty sure only thing they require for admission is money.
And profit versus non-profit distinction is not that important anyway. Non-profit merely means that there are no shareholders and all the profit goes to workers including football coaches and their $5mil/year salaries.

Well, "good reputation" non-profit universities have business schools, and I am pretty sure only thing they require for admission is money.
Wrong. Admission to an accredited program typically requires passing a number of required classes.
And profit versus non-profit distinction is not that important anyway. Non-profit merely means that there are no shareholders and all the profit goes to workers including football coaches and their $5mil/year salaries.
The distinction is important because it points to possible differences in motivation and application of academic admission standards and policies, and pricing policies.

Wrong. Admission to an accredited program typically requires passing a number of required classes.
typically? I was talking about business schools if you did not notice.
Even if they do have admission standards they could be so low that pretty irrelevant.
The distinction is important because it points to possible differences in motivation and application of academic admission standards and policies, and pricing policies.
Unfortunately, real universities have similar motivation, they are just less so.

. The bolded is not accurate either. The drop-out rate of these for-profit universities is extraordinarily high too.

As Ford noted, in most cases the for-profits are enrolling students who are unable to attend a traditional state or private university. It may be that they are also juggling a full-time job and family, or it may be that they don't have the grades/SAT scores to gain entry elsewhere. Either way, this is a demographic least likely to graduate.

The "for-profits" don't care. They already have the federal loan money. Better for them that the students do drop out.

Back
Top Bottom