• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Gingrich Who Stole Our Jobs

Don2 (Don1 Revised)

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
non-practicing agnostic
Former Speaker Newt Gingrich, under consideration as Donald Trump’s running mate, is dropping his decades-long support of free trade deals and picking up Trump’s strongly protectionist position.

“I basically agree with Trump’s speech on trade,” Gingrich said in an email to POLITICO on Friday.

Citing China’s taking of American intellectual property and the fact that the country is now in “a different era,” Gingrich said he had moved closer to the position of the presumptive Republican nominee.

That represents a significant shift for Gingrich, who championed trade agreements while a congressional leader, and a move that would smooth over one of the biggest policy differences between the two men who could form the Republican ticket.

Trump delivered a scathing rebuke of America’s trade policies in Pennsylvania this week, calling the North American Free Trade Agreement, which Gingrich helped approve while in Congress, “the worst trade deal" in U.S. history and vowing to renegotiate it. Trump also said he would pull out of the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade pact negotiated by the Obama administration.

“We allow foreign countries that cheat to export their goods to us tax-free. How stupid is this?” Trump said. “How could it happen? How stupid is this?”
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/07/newt-gingrich-trump-trade-vice-president-225035#ixzz4DBtv2P9Q

So basically he helped make NAFTA with Clinton which "stole our jobs" allegedly and now he's against it, like Hillary.

Former Speaker Newt Gingrich, under consideration as Donald Trump’s running mate, is dropping his decades-long support of free trade deals and picking up Trump’s strongly protectionist position.

“I basically agree with Trump’s speech on trade,” Gingrich said in an email to POLITICO on Friday.

Citing China’s taking of American intellectual property and the fact that the country is now in “a different era,” Gingrich said he had moved closer to the position of the presumptive Republican nominee.

That represents a significant shift for Gingrich, who championed trade agreements while a congressional leader, and a move that would smooth over one of the biggest policy differences between the two men who could form the Republican ticket.

Trump delivered a scathing rebuke of America’s trade policies in Pennsylvania this week, calling the North American Free Trade Agreement, which Gingrich helped approve while in Congress, “the worst trade deal" in U.S. history and vowing to renegotiate it. Trump also said he would pull out of the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade pact negotiated by the Obama administration.

“We allow foreign countries that cheat to export their goods to us tax-free. How stupid is this?” Trump said. “How could it happen? How stupid is this?”
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/07/newt-gingrich-trump-trade-vice-president-225035#ixzz4DBtv2P9Q

So basically he helped make NAFTA with Clinton which "stole our jobs" allegedly and now he's against it, like Hillary.

NAFTA stole jobs? Which ones?

He's commenting on the doubletalk, not supporting the veracity of the claim that they took our jerbs

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHNk0-7hW3U[/YOUTUBE]

Quote from the OP:
Finally, something that bites American businesses about offshoring.

Quote from the OP:
Finally, something that bites American businesses about offshoring.

Agreed. Companies that move to China increase their short term margins, but lose in the long term as the Chinese steal their IP.

I hadn't realized that Gingrich was maneuvering for the VP spot. Would the religious right tolerate TWO cheating multi-divorcees on the Republican ticket? Or is blind in-group loyalty and reinforcing cognitive-dissonance working in their favor?

Would the religious right tolerate TWO cheating multi-divorcees on the Republican ticket?

Hilarious. Of course they would. Have you not watched their response to Trump? The more evangelical the supporter, the swifter he/she rushes to declare that Trump is one of their own. What's more important is that they keep Hillary out of the White House.

I hadn't realized that Gingrich was maneuvering for the VP spot. Would the religious right tolerate TWO cheating multi-divorcees on the Republican ticket? Or is blind in-group loyalty and reinforcing cognitive-dissonance working in their favor?

Is this a rhetorical question?

Is Gingrich a floater or what?! You keep flushing, but he won't go down. Maybe start calling him Bobbin' Newt. I think Gingrich sees an opportunity to become President here, well, if Trump had a chance in hell of winning in the first place.

For another line of thought, I like how talks continue about jobs that were shipped over seas and for some reason computers are never mentioned much when it comes to automation and the speed at which they help complete tasks and their responsibility for the loss of lots of jobs. Down with PC's! Bring back the IIc and floppies.

Is Gingrich a floater or what?! You keep flushing, but he won't go down. Maybe start calling him Bobbin' Newt. I think Gingrich sees an opportunity to become President here, well, if Trump had a chance in hell of winning in the first place.

For another line of thought, I like how talks continue about jobs that were shipped over seas and for some reason computers are never mentioned much when it comes to automation and the speed at which they help complete tasks and their responsibility for the loss of lots of jobs. Down with PC's! Bring back the IIc and floppies.

I recall when progressives were generally against free trade agreements, especially with economically asymmetric nations. Regardless, it's hardly a new nor crazy (nor for that matter, Republican) argument that NAFTA negatively impacted the manufacturing sector, one which provided high wage work for working class Americans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NAFTA's_effect_on_United_States_employment

If this is what has become of the Democratic party, I'm never voting for the Democrats again.

I recall when progressives were generally against free trade agreements, especially with economically asymmetric nations. Regardless, it's hardly a new nor crazy (nor for that matter, Republican) argument that NAFTA negatively impacted the manufacturing sector, one which provided high wage work for working class Americans.

If this is what has become of the Democratic party, I'm never voting for the Democrats again.
Where have you been? The Democrat party is a right leaning moderate party. They've been signing free trade deals for a couple decades now.

Where have you been? The Democrat party is a right leaning moderate party. They've been signing free trade deals for a couple decades now.

Is this really surprising? Most democrats have been to college and many have studied the benefits of comparative trade and other commonly accepted economic theories.

Yes. We could created millions and millions of jobs in this country with one simple act: outlaw farm machinery.

Is this really surprising? Most democrats have been to college and many have studied the benefits of comparative trade and other commonly accepted economic theories.

Yes, by any metric the economy always does better under Democratic control...

...and yet, the bobble heads keep bobbling to the republican tune.

We saw what happened under Clinton. It was unprecedented peace time growth... and Gore still wasn't able to pull off an easy win. There was enough in the way of character attacks on Clinton to help damage Gore.

And Obama has presided over the US, when it was at its worst since the 20's and now the economy is chugging decently ahead... and that still isn't enough for some people.

We saw what happened under Clinton. It was unprecedented peace time growth... and Gore still wasn't able to pull off an easy win. There was enough in the way of character attacks on Clinton to help damage Gore.

And Obama has presided over the US, when it was at its worst since the 20's and now the economy is chugging decently ahead... and that still isn't enough for some people.
And, lets not forget that Clinton received a 73% job approval rating, the highest of any president since Kennedy, after he was impeached by Newt's Republican controlled House. That means he was approved by everyone but the Bobbleheads, who typically have made up around thirty percent of the population.

You can't be serious.
You didn't hear that giant sucking sound?

Not only did NAFTA initiate a flight of manufacturing industries from the US, it negatively impacted the Mexican economy as well. The US was flooded with refugees ("illegal immigrants") put out of business by the rush of cheap goods from The States.

These trade deals are by and for the 1%. The middle and working classes are negatively impacted.

The "commonly accepted" economic theory du jour is Neoliberalism. It has a poor history. It seems to benefit the 1% while leaving the middle and working classes behind.

And the deficit usually increases at a smaller rate than when republicans are in charge.

- - - Updated - - -

The "commonly accepted" economic theory du jour is Neoliberalism. It has a poor history. It seems to benefit the 1% while leaving the middle and working classes behind.

Well, "protected economics" that don't allow trade are far worse for the poor and middle class. The freeer and more open an economy, the better it is for the middle class.

Back
Top Bottom