• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Pope vs The Nuns

Thomas II

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
VATICAN CITY The Vatican says Pope Francis supports the Holy See's crackdown on the largest umbrella group of U.S. nuns, who were faulted for focusing too much on social justice instead of issues such as abortion.
American sisters had expressed hope that Francis, a Jesuit whose emphasis on the poor mirrored their social outreach, would take a different approach than his predecessor.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/pope-francis-supports-crackdown-on-us-nuns-group/

Things like this just seem so bizarre to me. So the Pope is like "No, you're being nuns wrong," and the nuns are like...

...I don't know...

...I just can't imagine giving a fuck what the pope thinks.

The tab on my browser is just large enough for the title of the page to be "Pope Francis supports crack"

VATICAN CITY The Vatican says Pope Francis supports the Holy See's crackdown on the largest umbrella group of U.S. nuns, who were faulted for focusing too much on social justice instead of issues such as abortion.
American sisters had expressed hope that Francis, a Jesuit whose emphasis on the poor mirrored their social outreach, would take a different approach than his predecessor.

Well, if any group goes for a schism, it's likely to be US nuns; they're liberal feminists to a man, so to speak. We may have a ringside seat at the first major split in the Catholic Church for several centuries.

Well, if any group goes for a schism, it's likely to be US nuns; they're liberal feminists to a man, so to speak. We may have a ringside seat at the first major split in the Catholic Church for several centuries.

I hope so...

Things like this just seem so bizarre to me. So the Pope is like "No, you're being nuns wrong," and the nuns are like...

...I don't know...

...I just can't imagine giving a fuck what the pope thinks.

It's indicative of the level of bullshit in the Church...:shrug:

I thought this was going to be about the most impressive WWE Royal Rumble ever.

nun.jpg

nun.jpg

Now THAT'S a hat you wouldn't wear out in the rain.

Attachments

• BluesBrothers.jpg
    BluesBrothers.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 5
“In certain parts of the church we have an us-versus-them mentality,” says Father Míceál O’Neill, an Irish Carmelite prior in Rome with background as a missionary in Peru.

“'Us' is religious, and 'them' is officers of the Holy See.”

“We have a church that is doctrinally conservative and pastorally liberal,” says O’Neill. “The Vatican is trying to assert control, ‘we are in charge’ … Many people are saying the two churches are not coming together.”

“There is a fundamental problem of honesty.”

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/europe/121213/new-inquisition-the-vatican-targets-us-nuns

Well, if any group goes for a schism, it's likely to be US nuns; they're liberal feminists to a man, so to speak.

This assertion is factually incorrect. There are, for example, religious orders of women in the US today that have embraced the doctrinal imperatives of the so-called "pro-life" movement and spend an enormous amount of time on political activity. There are others, especially among the cloistered orders, who have never wavered from an 18th-century Jansenist approach to religion.

The ideological purges of the 1970s and 1980s removed many liberal women religious from their orders.

Back
Top Bottom