• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The psychoanalysing of society

DrZoidberg

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Here's a video, specifically on, why it's important for a victim of emotional abuse, not to psychoanalyse their abuser, when in therapy about it afterwards.

Typically, a person who has been in a relationship with a narcissist, psychopath, or even just somebody themselves suffering from PTSD, will be confused about what is real or not. They will have had their boundaries so violated so often and so much that they no longer know what they themselves feel about anything. What they need in therapy is to be a bit childlike, and in a safe space, feel what their boundaries are. They need to spend time in their own head and make up their minds what they think about stuff, and what their authentic emotional response to that is. So it's important that they NOT try to understand it from their abusers point of view. That's nice for their own understanding of the human condition. But it won't help their own healing.

I think this can be expanded to all of society today. I'm thinking about all the TV series where protagonists are suffering from a serious mental condition. And the show is just as much about showing how it is to live with the diagnosis as it is about the story. It's so common that it's basically standard now. I think it has to do with the woke narrative. As long as you are suffering from being marginalized, you get a free pass on being an asshole. So everybody in their own heads is a victim now justified to lash out in pain. We bend over backwards to see things from any perspective justifying any behavior. Since we've robbed ourselves of any ability to have an authentic emotional response we reduce society to simple teams. "Freedom fighter or sheeple". Those on our team we are willing to jump through any hoops to justify their behaviour. Those on the other team we smack with evil.

I think what the world needs right now is for people to think less and feel more. No it won't solve all the worlds problems. It certainly won't lead to equality. But right now, humanity seems lost. Nitpicking it's way ever further into the labyrinth.

As long as you are suffering from being marginalized, you get a free pass on being an asshole.
The fact that you posted this sentence on a board where atheists complain about religious people being dangerous and delusional has destroyed every irony meter in my county.

Fritz Lang, Hmmm...I wonder what Freud would have had to say on that choice of a nom de forum.

Reducing all of abuse and therapy to a short video is what? It is our media culture of general shallow bullshit as truth. IMO it is dangerous because there are people who will see something on video and take it to be gospel truth without being able to filter it.

Everyday in the news there is a credentialed psychologist telling us yet another thing that is wrong with us.

What I jave been thinking is if the Internat and TV psychoanalyzing is creating mental illness out of nothing. In a high school class a techer said when yiu study psychology you have to stidy normal psychology before abnormal psychology. If not people tend to identfy with maladies.

I would think a competent experienced therapist would base the therapy on the individual.

As long as you are suffering from being marginalized, you get a free pass on being an asshole.
The fact that you posted this sentence on a board where atheists complain about religious people being dangerous and delusional has destroyed every irony meter in my county.

I don't have a problem with religion or religious people. I am an atheist. But I am a big fan of religion. I don't see religion as primarily being about proving God is true or proselytising. That is childish. As is treating atheism as being about disproving God exists. Its not. The moment a person has embraced atheism they can stop arguing against religion and religiousness. That's what people do who are unsure of their beliefs. People secure in their faith have no need to discuss it. They just get on with life.

You are fighting windmills.

. IMO it is dangerous because there are people who will see something on video and take it to be gospel truth without being able to filter it.
Is this a but-think-of-the-children argument? You are not a genius. You are not special. Other people aren't more vulnerable to fall for bullshit than you are. You are just a guy on the Internet, just like everyone else.

We're all on our own journey of self discovery. We will take the paths we take. Some things will speak to us. Some things won't. The important thing is that we keep digging and working on ourselves.

No information on psychology is dangerous. It all exists in context. The more we learn, the more we understand what is sensible and what is nonsense

. IMO it is dangerous because there are people who will see something on video and take it to be gospel truth without being able to filter it.
Is this a but-think-of-the-children argument? You are not a genius. You are not special. Other people aren't more vulnerable to fall for bullshit than you are. You are just a guy on the Internet, just like everyone else.

We're all on our own journey of self discovery. We will take the paths we take. Some things will speak to us. Some things won't. The important thing is that we keep digging and working on ourselves.

No information on psychology is dangerous. It all exists in context. The more we learn, the more we understand what is sensible and what is nonsense
I disagree. Most information on psychology is dangerous unless shared under the guidance of a competent certified professional. Even then the subject (patient) needs substantial training in how to incorporate what is given. Nothing worse than a psych student sharing information over the backyard fence. Psych information should be treated like firearms and matches. Teach your children well.

I disagree. Most information on psychology is dangerous unless shared under the guidance of a competent certified professional. Even then the subject (patient) needs substantial training in how to incorporate what is given. Nothing worse than a psych student sharing information over the backyard fence. Psych information should be treated like firearms and matches. Teach your children well.
I assume you read it? How come you are uniquely equiped to handle the information?

I'd argue that the psych student sharing over the fence is better than no information. It at least allows us to start thinking of terms that humans aren't fully rational

Back
Top Bottom