• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The rise of "pundit brain" in American politics

PyramidHead

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Marxist-Leninist
I'm listening to the latest Citations Needed podcast, which goes into Nate Silver's rise from a poker and baseball prediction junkie to a political commentator, following his impressive prediction of the 2008 electoral college result. I suggest everybody subscribe to them, they are awesome and shed a much needed light on media forces in politics.

https://citationsneeded.libsyn.com/

Nate Silver tell us Joe Biden’s inconsistent political beliefs are, in fact, a benefit. They’re “his calling card” and evidence he “reads the room pretty well”. Venality, we are told, is “a normal and often successful [mode] for a politician.” Insurgent progressive groups like Justice Democrats shouldn’t call Biden out of touch with the base because, Silver tell us, “only 26 of the 79 candidates it endorsed last year won their primaries, and only 7 of those went on to win the general election.”

On Twitter and his in columns, high-status pundit Nate Silver, has made a career reporting on the polls and insisting he’s just a dispassionate, non-ideological conduit of Cold Hard Facts, just channeling the holy word of data. Empirical journalism, he calls it. But this schtick, however, is very ideological - a reactionary worldview that prioritizes describing the world, rather than changing it. For Silver - and data-fetishists like him - politics is a sport to be gamed, rather than a mechanism for improving people’s lives.

Anyway, the gist of the introduction to this episode is that political commitments have undergone a shift in America with the rise of people like Silver. There was a time when political pundits, and opinionated voters in general, were committed to advancing an actual political agenda. That is, the purpose of political discourse and commentary was to push a view about what would be best for the majority of people, according to the beliefs of whoever is pushing it. Today, a new paradigm has emerged: instead of actually having a perspective on what's best for the country and its citizens, the most respected and widely disseminated commentary is made by people who claim to be disinterestedly reporting empirical trends, such as poll numbers, and simply drawing non-ideological conclusions from the data. The focus has moved away from aggressively promoting a policy or a vision for political change to being factually correct about the preferences of voters.

If this sounds familiar, it's because it basically borrows from the math-ification of sports in the last decade or so, and of gambling since time immemorial. The enterprise of politics has become a reductionist process that sets a goal--our team wins--and dedicates all its energy to the attempt at predicting the probabilistically optimal way to do that, based on the cards already on the table, so to speak. It places little to no importance on the content of our team's platform, and certainly wastes no time trying to convince people of its merits. The pundit brain is solely concerned with what combination of variables will score the most points for the team, and uses numerical representations of human preferences to divine the best path forward.

It would be bad enough if the predictions were just wrong most of the time, which they are (despite some notable exceptions). However, the real tragedy is that this practice has replaced actual political activism. The idea that voters should start with an opinion or a set of values, and then proceed to advocate them and rally behind candidates who commit to upholding them, is nowadays regarded as out-of-touch; the only activity worth doing is to become a statistics wonk and just accept whatever values our team has chosen for us. With this change has come the rise of "electability" as a central goal and the myth of appealing to the "moderates", and allowing the definition of both to be fully determined by whatever the status quo happens to be. As such, the underlying function of the non-ideological pundit who just follows the data is to reinforce and perpetuate the ideology that currently prevails, and to shut down threats to it by accusing anyone who criticizes the ideology itself of derailing the train to victory.

Unfortunately, I'm fairly certain that most people reading this are firmly in the grip of pundit brain, based on my interactions on this forum over the past year. Since nothing could in principle be more important than beating Donald Trump, there is simply no time to engage in the naive, childish behavior of organizing a political movement around a moral or civic obligation and critically supporting its closest representative. That's for pie-in-the-sky dreamers. Actual politics is about passively absorbing the speeches of whatever candidates are amplified most by the media, and choosing the one most likely to appeal to my idea of the average voter, which is of course a totally neutral decision I make based on science and reason. After all, it's impossible for anyone on our team to be somehow WORSE than Trump, and we all know that winning an election against someone bad means defeating bad politicians FOREVER. Really, all we have to do is get ourselves back to exactly where we were immediately before being defeated by the person we're trying to defeat.

I submit we should be doing the opposite. Stop asking yourself if Elizabeth Warren's Native American DNA will be a sticking point in some debate--what do YOU think about her behavior in that situation? What do YOU think about Biden's positions, APART from how you think it will float with everybody else? Do YOU support the ambitions of someone like Sanders, or are you only interested in what Republicans will say about it? Reset your brains from pundit mode to "caring about politics as the means of affecting change in society for the better" mode, and actually figure out what YOU think is how to do that. Then, if you're serious about the views you hold, look at the polls as a reflection of underlying tendencies you have the power to influence through finding like-minded citizens and organizing on behalf of those views. Stop framing everything that happens in terms of how a faceless horde of unpredictable independents will react, and start practicing actual independence of your own, by staking a position in the very real ideological split that determines the future well-being of millions of people, if not the whole world.

The problem is first past the post voting. I support Yang, Bernie, Warren in that order. I saw and still see Hillary as a corporate shill. Doesn't mean I didn't support Hillary over Trump when it came down to it though, because he's even worse. Who can go toe to toe with Trump in 2020 does matter. If you have the perfect ideological candidate that lines up with all your preferences but you know can't beat Trump in an election.... it isn't a good pick to put up against Trump in the general. Doesn't mean you can't endorse their ideas and push for them being adopted by others. I'd also like to see revisions to the first past the post system, in both of our countries. That helps break up this problem. I'd go with ranked order voting.

The problem is first past the post voting. I support Yang, Bernie, Warren in that order. I saw and still see Hillary as a corporate shill. Doesn't mean I didn't support Hillary over Trump when it came down to it though, because he's even worse. Who can go toe to toe with Trump in 2020 does matter. If you have the perfect ideological candidate that lines up with all your preferences but you know can't beat Trump in an election.... it isn't a good pick to put up against Trump in the general. Doesn't mean you can't endorse their ideas and push for them being adopted by others. I'd also like to see revisions to the first past the post system, in both of our countries. That helps break up this problem. I'd go with ranked order voting.

"Who can go toe to toe with Trump in 2020" is shaped by how many people support the candidate in question. In other words, the support for the candidate and his/her policies, and the effort to garner as much buy-in from other voters who feel the same way, should be the primary goal of a political movement in representative democracy. As a consequence of how all that is hashed out, some candidates will be better than others at beating the opponent. But in the weird subversion that has taken place, candidates are assigned metrics of "electability" first, and this information is itself what informs people's choices of who to support, which of course creates feedback loops in both directions, depending on the narrative. Ranked order voting would help, and getting rid of the electoral college would help, but the thing that would help more than anything is banning the collection and distribution of political polls in the year prior to an election. Can you imagine that? Imagine if nobody had the faintest idea who the rest of the country wanted to vote for, and were forced by this ignorance to, as a last resort, finally spend their time and energy actually arguing for the principles that were important to them and the corresponding candidates. Then, as if by magic, the candidate with the best chance of beating the opponent would simply be the one with support from the most people, AFTER this period of political activity and not beforehand. I think that would be a huge improvement on our current system, which is more like a horse race than anything else.

Nate Silver tell us Joe Biden’s inconsistent political beliefs are, in fact, a benefit. They’re “his calling card” and evidence he “reads the room pretty well”. Venality, we are told, is “a normal and often successful [mode] for a politician.” Insurgent progressive groups like Justice Democrats shouldn’t call Biden out of touch with the base because, Silver tell us, “only 26 of the 79 candidates it endorsed last year won their primaries, and only 7 of those went on to win the general election.”

On Twitter and his in columns, high-status pundit Nate Silver, has made a career reporting on the polls and insisting he’s just a dispassionate, non-ideological conduit of Cold Hard Facts, just channeling the holy word of data. Empirical journalism, he calls it. But this schtick, however, is very ideological - a reactionary worldview that prioritizes describing the world, rather than changing it. For Silver - and data-fetishists like him - politics is a sport to be gamed, rather than a mechanism for improving people’s lives.

Anyway, the gist of the introduction to this episode is that political commitments have undergone a shift in America with the rise of people like Silver. There was a time when political pundits, and opinionated voters in general, were committed to advancing an actual political agenda. That is, the purpose of political discourse and commentary was to push a view about what would be best for the majority of people, according to the beliefs of whoever is pushing it. Today, a new paradigm has emerged: instead of actually having a perspective on what's best for the country and its citizens, the most respected and widely disseminated commentary is made by people who claim to be disinterestedly reporting empirical trends, such as poll numbers, and simply drawing non-ideological conclusions from the data. The focus has moved away from aggressively promoting a policy or a vision for political change to being factually correct about the preferences of voters.
I'm not certain how this is really that big of a problem, especially when held relative to the political whores that saturate cable news media and the massive AM 'conservative' radio empire which has gone from conservative commentary to Trump fellatio. Even Dennis Prager is making with the fellating of Trump.

Regardless, the biggest modification is cable news, of which has become partisan, some of the media's fault and some of Trump's fault. MSNBC is bitterly anti-Trump... but in all honesty... you have to be a fucking asshole to support Trump. There is very little positive news to report about Trump, so the anti-Trump reporting can be a bit misleading. Fox News... well... nevermind.

And then we lead to fatigue. People get tired of hearing about this stuff and it can be a bit difficult to gauge if the people thinks something matters or whether they just view it as DC being DC. I think Cable news is partly to blame. Add in the echo chambers of AM radio and the Internet, and the Information Age has failed to make human beings capable of being non-partisan... especially when large forces are trying to make them partisan.

I'm not certain how this is really that big of a problem, especially when held relative to the political whores that saturate cable news media and the massive AM 'conservative' radio empire which has gone from conservative commentary to Trump fellatio. Even Dennis Prager is making with the fellating of Trump.

Regardless, the biggest modification is cable news, of which has become partisan, some of the media's fault and some of Trump's fault. MSNBC is bitterly anti-Trump... but in all honesty... you have to be a fucking asshole to support Trump. There is very little positive news to report about Trump, so the anti-Trump reporting can be a bit misleading. Fox News... well... nevermind.

And then we lead to fatigue. People get tired of hearing about this stuff and it can be a bit difficult to gauge if the people thinks something matters or whether they just view it as DC being DC. I think Cable news is partly to blame. Add in the echo chambers of AM radio and the Internet, and the Information Age has failed to make human beings capable of being non-partisan... especially when large forces are trying to make them partisan.

Okay, so you've correctly identified that there are outlets that support Trump and those that oppose him, but this thread isn't really about that divide. It's about the divide within the opposition to Trump, between those who want to select a candidate based on policies, record, experience, and things like that, versus those who are trying to cynically game the system by pretending to know what everybody else wants and joining whoever's imaginary crowd is largest.

But in the weird subversion that has taken place, candidates are assigned metrics of "electability" first, and this information is itself what informs people's choices of who to support, which of course creates feedback loops in both directions, depending on the narrative. Ranked order voting would help, and getting rid of the electoral college would help, but the thing that would help more than anything is banning the collection and distribution of political polls in the year prior to an election. Can you imagine that?

I can see the benefit but also see harm in repressing free speech.

Okay, so you've correctly identified that there are outlets that support Trump and those that oppose him, but this thread isn't really about that divide. It's about the divide within the opposition to Trump, between those who want to select a candidate based on policies, record, experience, and things like that, versus those who are trying to cynically game the system by pretending to know what everybody else wants and joining whoever's imaginary crowd is largest.
I'm not talking divide, I'm talking about how all the talk is about the divide... though in fairness opposition to Trump should be a default setting in most brains.

But in the weird subversion that has taken place, candidates are assigned metrics of "electability" first, and this information is itself what informs people's choices of who to support, which of course creates feedback loops in both directions, depending on the narrative. Ranked order voting would help, and getting rid of the electoral college would help, but the thing that would help more than anything is banning the collection and distribution of political polls in the year prior to an election. Can you imagine that?

I can see the benefit but also see harm in repressing free speech.

Me too, which is why I don't actually think that policy would be ideal. But as a hypothetical, it's a good illustration, because it would be hard to argue that the political landscape wouldn't be massively improved without the polls and their analysts taking up all the air in the room. To be something other than a band-aid, there would have to be a change in the prevailing ideology, which places the average person in a position of spectating the election and betting on the winner, rather than actively contributing to the process that determines who is the winner.

Back
Top Bottom