• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Utility of God

Jarhyn

Wizard
Basic Beliefs
Natural Philosophy, Game Theoretic Ethicist
So, taking after my desire to look at problems from new or interesting directions, especially considerations of "god" owing to my predilections...

Perhaps instead of discussing 'belief that there is a...' we can discuss 'how can I improve my understanding of ___ by thinking about...'

As such, perhaps I would like here to discuss things which, while we probably ought not have belief in such without evidence, consideration of the thing as a concept nonetheless yields some interesting and useful outcomes.

Among these is already my discussion of simulation and Pascal's Wager, or in discussing concepts such as "free will" in the context of determinism.

Other times, there is the use of "god" as a stand-in for what we don't know, something to place in a gap because we don't have better words perhaps not to allow 'belief in', but simply as an unsatisfying placeholder that goads us to make better words.

What other beneficial philosophical uses of this ideological tool might be observed?

How serendipitous.
As I read "The Utility of God", I had just paid an online electric bill for a house I'm selling.
The billing party is SDCEA, which stands for "Sangre de Cristo Energy Association".
If the ever was a "utility of god", then the "blood of Christ energy association" has to be it!

How serendipitous.
As I read "The Utility of God", I had just paid an online electric bill for a house I'm selling.
The billing party is SDCEA, which stands for "Sangre de Cristo Energy Association".
If the ever was a "utility of god", then the "blood of Christ energy association" has to be it!
That's an interesting interpretation.

Indeed one utility of "god" though certainly a dubious one, not so much a beneficial one, is tricking gullible folks into believing in Santa Claus 2.0, and making them think that in order to get gifts from Santa Claus 2.0, they have to give something to you, first.

This is a utility in terms of a "utility for grifting".

Your power company is much the same. For whatever reason they thought they would be more successful by evoking the name "god" in the presence of "believers" for their energy company.

It seems they were right about that.

How serendipitous.
That's an interesting interpretation.

Indeed one utility of "god" though certainly a dubious one, not so much a beneficial one, is tricking gullible folks into believing in Santa Claus 2.0, and making them think that in order to get gifts from Santa Claus 2.0, they have to give something to you, first.

This is a utility in terms of a "utility for grifting".

Your power company is much the same. For whatever reason they thought they would be more successful by evoking the name "god" in the presence of "believers" for their energy company.

It seems they were right about that.

Lol! Actually, the name comes from the region they serve, which includes most of the Sangre de Cristo mountain range. Which in no way changes the verity of your response...

What other beneficial philosophical uses of this ideological tool might be observed?
There's obvious financial advantage in theism for some people. If you can get people to believe in a God who wants them to give you money, then you have a source of income.

So, taking after my desire to look at problems from new or interesting directions, especially considerations of "god" owing to my predilections...

Perhaps instead of discussing 'belief that there is a...' we can discuss 'how can I improve my understanding of ___ by thinking about...'

As such, perhaps I would like here to discuss things which, while we probably ought not have belief in such without evidence, consideration of the thing as a concept nonetheless yields some interesting and useful outcomes.

Among these is already my discussion of simulation and Pascal's Wager, or in discussing concepts such as "free will" in the context of determinism.

Other times, there is the use of "god" as a stand-in for what we don't know, something to place in a gap because we don't have better words perhaps not to allow 'belief in', but simply as an unsatisfying placeholder that goads us to make better words.

The notion of a loving God who cares about us, and values us gives people an optimistic, positive outlook on life and the world we live in. It can be encouraging for us to take new steps, like stepping onto an airplane for the first time. It gives people someone to talk to via prayer, so that they can work through personal problems. It allows them to feel forgiveness when they do something wrong. I suppose there are many such psychological benefits from a belief in God.

There are many life-lessons to be learned in a Christian church. For example, to have faith in doing the right thing when everyone else is doing the wrong thing. And there is the courage to "speak truth to power" through songs like this: "Dare to be a Daniel. Dare to stand alone. Dare to have a purpose strong. And dare to make it known".

Back
Top Bottom