• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Vatican Mafia

steve_bank

Diabetic retinopathy and poor eyesight. Typos ...
Basic Beliefs
secular-skeptic
The Vatican at the top for lack of a better term is a mafia. There is a history of financial corruption in the Vacant, collusion with organized crime and embezzlement.

I listened to a BBC interview with an auditor hired to straiten out Vatican financial methods and records. Hired by and reporting directly to the pope.

When he started asking for records of transactions by powerful cardinals he got fired. He found they were siphoning money directly to personal bank accounts.

As with Lords, Kings and Emporers, Presidents, Prime Ministers, Politicians and CEO's, to name a few, who take advantage of positions of power and privilege.

Apologetic?

The Vatican has always claimed to be above civil law.

Lords, Kings and Emperors have been deposed and overthrown.

Politicians and CEO's have gone to jail.

As to presidents and prime ministers they have been prosecuted. Nixon woud have gone to jail if not pardoned, and Trump may go to jail.

The RCC is mafia with no civil oversight.

Not an apologetic. Just an observation of human nature and the corruption of power and privilege we have seen throughout history. The Vatican should be subject to the same rules as the rest of us, but how is that to be done?

Not an apologetic. Just an observation of human nature and the corruption of power and privilege we have seen throughout history. The Vatican should be subject to the same rules as the rest of us, but how is that to be done?
Nobody's solved that problem in over 1,750 years, so I rather doubt it will be solved here.

Or in any of our lifetimes.

Mind you, I thought that about the Irish Troubles, and then Mo Mowlam happened.

Reactions: DBT
I suppose that Catholics could vote with their feet and stop attending Church or giving donations until the mess is cleaned up and there is transparency.

I've always wondered about claims of persecution when the Catholic Church claims it is being persecuted. Is it really being persecuted or is it that that sometimes those in leadership get caught doing bad things and the pundits working for the so called church slander those holding the corrupt leader to account saying they are persecuting.

I've read that the Orthodox leadership was and can be just as bad and that's one reason the communists came down on them so hard in Russia after the revolution.

It stems from the RCC belief they are emissaries of a god and speak for god on Erato.

Until the rise of the modern state of Italy in the 19th returnee the RCC had civil enforcement authority,

In an international news event a bishop seized a Jewish kid to be raised as Catholic. Courts ruled in favor of the RCC.

Now it is contained in a walled city with semi recognition as a state, they can issue Vatican passports. The pope speaks as if he is a pope of old who had political power and the ability to enforce it.

It became independent from Italy in 1929 with the Lateran Treaty, and it is a distinct territory under "full ownership, exclusive dominion, and sovereign authority and jurisdiction" of the Holy See, itself a sovereign entity under international law, which maintains the city-state's temporal power and governance, ...

I suppose that Catholics could vote with their feet and stop attending Church or giving donations until the mess is cleaned up and there is transparency.
They tried that. It's called Protestantism.

I know when they caught that pedo priest in Ennis 30 years ago it took forever to do anything about it and get him thrown out and jailed

Yet not enough Protestors turned away from the Church to hurt it financially, or significantly effect its hold on the community.
Sure they did. They lost most of Northwest Europe.

Yet not enough Protestors turned away from the Church to hurt it financially, or significantly effect its hold on the community.
Sure they did. They lost most of Northwest Europe.

True, but still not enough to motivate a revolution in their beliefs, morals, behaviour or business model. Nor were the Protestants much better. Some people just need something to cling to, it seems.

Back
Top Bottom